• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tony De Zuniga's idea of a con sketch? Got today at Dallas Comic Con

34 posts in this topic

One of two "sketches" I got from De Zuniga today. Hate to say it, but despite my love of Vampirella and my Gonzalez piece, THIS is now my favorite! Let's just say that everyone that saw this, I swear to God they all looked like this: :o

32f77b53.jpg

Does it get any more awesome than this?!? :cloud9:

Edit: BTW this is a decent 11x14 size too!

Amazing. (worship)

deZuniga's pencil illos and paintings are better now than his 1970s work. His OA is 1/2 price compared to the young, hot artists.

He did a Conan for me that should be ready first thing tomorrow...I'm thinking of asking him to do another...something I'm sure he's never done before :shy: ...need to go dig up some reference material

Yes, that is because Tony is a GOD. Not a comic book illustrator.

Fixed that for you.

Amazing piece. I have a couple of things by Tony, but I still regret not getting a con sketch from him the one time I had the pleasure of meeting him.

Here are the two sketches he did for me. They're blurry since I just snapped them with my phone camera, but you get the idea. I really like the Wolverine, especially since he said he'd only ever drawn him a couple times before. These are fairly large and probably some of my favorite con purchases of any kind.

zuniga1.jpg

zuniga2.jpg

I'm also waiting on a ~9.6 SS submission of Conan #87 that he signed.

Yes, that is because Tony is a GOD. Not a comic book illustrator.

Fixed that for you.

Amazing piece. I have a couple of things by Tony, but I still regret not getting a con sketch from him the one time I had the pleasure of meeting him.

:) I wouldn't go that far, but I certainly understand your admiration for his work.

Here is a Vampi. piece I bought from him and Tina at Fallcon 2006. And yes; it is large.

it took me 4 scans with my large format scanner to scan this piece.

2191802172_a2747d178b.jpg:cloud9:

WOW! I'm going to post my Vampi in a bit... it's not anywhere near that nice but quite frankly, with the Red Sonja's (another one coming up tonight) and the fact that my Vampi was the first sketch he did of the morning BEFORE the con even opened, I'm quite pleased.

First if the quick rough sketch of Vampirella that DeZuniga did for me. This was the first sketch of the con (yesterday) and although not as nice as the Red Sonja's it's still a great addition to my book! I like that I have more quality stuff in my Vampi sketches now because I'm hoping it encourages others to really try and shine! (thumbs u

805a4bd5.jpg

Second is another outstanding Red Sonja!

70f5fd90.jpg

I also had him do a third one for Mr. Bedrock because Bedrock saw mine and was blown away. Tony didn't realize it wasn't for me and that I was getting it for someone else because he seemed like he was trying to improve on them the more I asked for commenting when I picked up the 3rd one, "That's the best one, uh?" I replied that it was indeed incredible but unfortunately, that one was not for me. :cloud9:

Unfortunately I don't have a pic or scan of Richard's piece but it is just as outstanding as these.

DeZuniga is most definitely a "warm-up" artist as the weekend progressed the pieces kept getting better and better! One of the last ones that he finished was a Space-suit chick for Stronguy that is just absolutely incredible! I'm hoping he shares soon! :wishluck:

I could have spent my entire budget with Tony at this show and would have not been disappointed at all.. and I did get some great books too!

So here's what I got from Tony. Please note that Don (BuffyFan), Kenny and I probably accounted for 75% of the sketches he did this weekend. Each sketch was better than the previous one.

Red Sonja (this was the first on he did at the show and it started the "Red Sonja Landslide")...

TonyDeZuniga_RedSonja-1.jpg

Next is a Thor he did for me. He mentioned Thor was his favorite character and he rarely got to do one. This was from the end of day 1...

TonyDeZuniga_Thor-1.jpg

On Sunday I asked him to do a Space Girl for me. I gave him a bunch of reference and he fully exceeded my expectations (not really, I knew it would be great)...

TonyDeZuniga_SpaceGirl-1.jpg

Finally, a quick Conan head sketch on the title page of my 900 page Conan books...

TonyDeZuniga_ConanBook.jpg

He also did a Marvel Value Stamp for me which I will post once I get it scanned.

Kenny, the last piece that Tony was doing today was another Wolverine for someone! (thumbs u

Heh, then that means that half the Wolverine drawings he's done came from that show because he told me he'd only drawn him a couple times before I asked.