• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spine Splits or Tears...is there a difference

4 posts in this topic

I've always considered a 1/2" spine split to be worse than a 1/2" tear somewhere else on the front cover. Then when you think about it, they are the exact same thing (shrug) . Does CGC downgrade more for a spine split or is it just me that thinks this way?

To me a tear will probaly stay the same size as it was most likely caused by accident and the book may never be bent in that way again.

A spine split is much worse IMHO, as that is the stress point that is constantly bent and folded over and over and once it separates it is likely to continue down or up the rest of the spine.

I've always considered a 1/2" spine split to be worse than a 1/2" tear somewhere else on the front cover. Then when you think about it, they are the exact same thing (shrug) . Does CGC downgrade more for a spine split or is it just me that thinks this way?

I'd guess (and it is just a guess) that CGC treats them about the same.

Take a look at the HG FF #73 Nik put up in Round 7 of the grading contest. It was a beautiful book that looks to be somewhere in the 9.0-9.2 range, but was dropped to 7.0 for a clean 3/4" spine split. To me, that's the same drop you'd get for a tear that size...a HG book wouldn't make it to 7.5 with a 3/4" tear, but wouldn't get hammered down to Fine either.