• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A basic Guide to CGC Sets Please

22 posts in this topic

Thanks for your responses - but I actually need something even MORE BASIC than that....I guess what Im really asking is ...what exactly IS a set - is it simply a category of comic (i.e.Miller daredevils) which is essentially a checklist and you update your own checklist as and when you can

OR

Do you submit completed sets to CGC who acknowledge it?

Sorry for my ignorance in this matter.

CGC has predefined sets.

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/Index.aspx

As Brad eluded, you can request certain sets to be created if the existing sets aren't to your liking.

To muddy the waters further, CGC wants to implement an "ad hoc" set type that you can use to put in any CGC book you want, but these set types will be excluded from a competitive standpoint. This has not yet been implemented.

The web site is self-service...you do the work. You set up your account, create the sets, and enter in your books. The sets have predefined issues already in place, you simply enter the book in the slot to get "recognized" for that issue. Each issue has a point value.

Create your account here:

http://www.collectors-society.com/Join/JoinIntro.aspx

One you have joined, you can create sets. It should be apparent once you get started. My suggestion is to create an account and start experimenting...once you get used to the "flow" of the site, it becomes easy.

CGC has predefined sets.

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/Index.aspx

As Brad eluded, you can request certain sets to be created if the existing sets aren't to your liking.

To muddy the waters further, CGC wants to implement an "ad hoc" set type that you can use to put in any CGC book you want, but these set types will be excluded from a competitive standpoint. This has not yet been implemented.

The web site is self-service...you do the work. You set up your account, create the sets, and enter in your books.

Create your account here:

http://www.collectors-society.com/Join/JoinIntro.aspx

One you have joined, you can create sets. It should be apparent once you get started.

Great thanks for taking the time to write that, (worship)

But what's to stop people lying ? I thought a man in glasses and a long coat from CGC would come round your house to inspect the set before accepting it as a worthy set....a bit like the man from Del Monte only for comics.

Cant believe its just a bunch of people inputing their own sets.

Oh well....heres hoping hey have a Miller Daredevil set. :wishluck:

The serial numbers of the books get registered to the owner, so you can only lie about owning a book until someone else tries to register it... :)

What if you buy from ebay but that book is already registered by the seller....?

also with so many ebay lots revealing the serial numbers of books for selling purposes its easy for people just to lie......

I say we need the guy from CGC who comes round your house!!!

:)

Right. I've had that situation about a dozen times and the seller has, of course, always been graceful enough to transfer CGC ownership. Whenever I sell a book that was in one of my registry sets, I immediately remove it.

Of course, you could cadge CGC #'s off ebay and hope no one tries to register the actual book, but that would be like Rose Ruiz claiming to win the Boston marathon. Pretty pathetic.

Red

Right. I've had that situation about a dozen times and the seller has, of course, always been graceful enough to transfer CGC ownership. Whenever I sell a book that was in one of my registry sets, I immediately remove it.

Of course, you could cadge CGC #'s off ebay and hope no one tries to register the actual book, but that would be like Rose Ruiz claiming to win the Boston marathon. Pretty pathetic.

Red

Sigh, I'm old enough to remember Rosie Ruiz :baiting:

Yeah, but I bet you never ran a marathon. :foryou:
Sure hope not. Maybe I can go to Hawaii during the Ironman and join the race near the end. :whistle:

Sure hope not. Maybe I can go to Hawaii during the Ironman and join the race near the end. :whistle:

The only way you would run, is if there were pho on the other side of the finish line. lol

The only way you would run, is if there were pho on the other side of the finish line. lol

Knowing me, I'll misjudge the finish and will end up like Julie Moss. :(

Who would be your Kathleen McCartney? (shrug)

put some sweet 100 pagers at the finish line and watch him go- better than steroids.

Nice. You are no where near old enough to have seen that on the tube the first time. doh!

Nice. You are no where near old enough to have seen that on the tube the first time. doh!

Yes, I am and yes, I did. :baiting: