• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2008 GRADING CONTEST : ROUND 14

93 posts in this topic

Damn I thought I bumped it high enough to a 9.0!!!

You asked too many questions and jinxed yourself :makepoint:

But if I didn't ask the questions this time I would have given it around 8.0 to 8.5! :)

i feel the same way about this book. try as i might, i still have to figure out how a book with two verified corner creases and 5 spine nicks can grade a 9.4 for the FC and then only lose a .2 for another verified corner crease, 3 visible spine bends and a chewed up lower edge...........

Well said. (shrug)

I be toasted on this one... :tonofbricks:

Excuse my composure for a moment....

NO FREAKIN WAY!! :frustrated:

...ok, I'm back.

I gave it an 8.0. I thought there was some major rounding going on on the back left corner, but even without that, I wouldn't have gone that high with it.

I gave it an 8.0 as well. That is the weakest 9.0 I've ever seen.

I can count at least 8 spine stresses! :frustrated:

...ok, I'm back.

I gave it an 8.0. I thought there was some major rounding going on on the back left corner, but even without that, I wouldn't have gone that high with it.

I gave it a 9.0 based on it being a 64 page book. I allowed for a few spine ticks but downgraded significantly for the corner.

Too bad I am not playing horse shoes.

...ok, I'm back.

You mean weakest 9.2 :kidaround:

As has been said numerous times, the over sized scan sometimes makes molehills into mountains. And the Nik bump(as I see it) is due more to the consistent overall quality structure of his books then some mythical grading phenomenon. He has a keen eye for what books will make the cut and what to leave raw.

Then again he knows we know this, and imagine he submitted a few red herrings at his own expense just to keep us honest.

:pullhair:

Now the hair splitting and complaining portion of the program. I would honestly call this book a 9.0 at best even if that BC corner is semi proction related, goes to show what I know. doh!

Like I said, no clue who he is :eek:

I mentioned in an earlier post that I just got back into collecting about 2 years ago, been reading the forums a lot since, and finally decided to join when I saw the Holiday Raffle and this contest. I'm trying to get better at grading since I only have one book slabbed as of right now.

I don't post a lot because I'm trying to get a read on peoples personalities and don't want to jump to conclusions and/or sound like a dumb arse.

Having fun so far hopefully I don't tank!

Hi Blackwolvie :hi:

Nice to see that you're enjoying the boards, and the contest. You are certainly doing great, and I'm sure it's not just "beginner's luck"! :worship:

A word of advice, though --- be careful trying to "get a read on people's personalities" here, because we're all just a bunch of dorks, y'know lol Just kidding, good to have you on board!

Hi Blackwolvie :hi:

Nice to see that you're enjoying the boards, and the contest. You are certainly doing great, and I'm sure it's not just "beginner's luck"! :worship:

A word of advice, though --- be careful trying to "get a read on people's personalities" here, because we're all just a bunch of dorks, y'know lol Just kidding, good to have you on board!

:(