• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Off topic - chess and backgammon invitation.

164 posts in this topic

A few weeks ago someone started a thread about having a chess tournament over on Yahoo games. Don't remember who, but I want to thank them for pointing it out to me. I have a Yahoo email account already, so all I had to do was go to yahoo, sign in, and click on games.

It's been a lot of fun. I go to the social areas and play a few games of chess or backgammon once in a while. I've played games with people from all over the world. One guy was a government worker in Maylaysia. I played backgammon with a woman from Argentina who owned a karaoke bar. I even played a game of Go with a guy from Japan with a name I can't pronounce. He was very nice and in his limited English gave me a few pointers as he thoroughly thrashed me.

I play under my real name there (darryl_buchanan). So if you are ever run across me at the boards, say hi. Lately I've been playing more backgammon than chess, so you're more likely to run across me there.

You play chess? smile.gif

Wanna play in this thread? hi.gif

I'll be white?

1 P-K4

I'm showing my age using the old -script huh?

I perfer the old Pawn to King four because those are chess terms.

1 e2-e4

So modern and sterile... tongue.gif

You play chess? smile.gif

Wanna play in this thread? hi.gif

I'll be white?

1 P-K4

I'm showing my age using the old -script huh?

I perfer the old Pawn to King four because those are chess terms.

1 e2-e4

So modern and sterile... tongue.gif

Showing your age! I started playing in college when I was 20 years old - in 1972!

1. P-K4 P-QB4

Well I started in about 1976 in the 6th grade chess club! thumbsup2.gif

1. P-K4 P-QB4

2. P-KB4

Sicilian defense doesn't scare me... smirk.gif

edit: Almost 1 AM here and I got to get some sleeping.gif but I'll check back tomorrow and we can continue. thumbsup2.gif

Well I started in about 1976 in the 6th grade chess club! thumbsup2.gif

1. P-K4 P-QB4

2. P-KB4

Sicilian defense doesn't scare me... smirk.gif

Young whippersnapper!! We'll see about that Sicilian grin.gif. Unfortunately it's getting late here and I'm going to have to sign off for the night. I'll check back tomorrow.

1. P-K4 P-QB4

2. P-KB4 P-KN3

( PS: I'm 114-25-8 on Yahoo. Can you FEEL the intimidation! grin.gifgrin.gif )

How long does a chess match generally take???...Is there an interactive chess board that the players use???...

On Yahoo it's an interactive chess board. I think it's a java application. You play in real time with a graphical board. You just click and drag the pieces where you want them to go. You can set a clock to whatever limit you want. They use a confusing 2 number scheme. 8/15 means you have 8 minutes to start with and you get 15 seconds added on with each move. I usually create a board and set it to something like 8/12. That way a game doesn't usually take more than about 15-20 minutes.

I really enjoy playing the Yahoo games. I usually play Spades, Cribbage, Hearts, and Backgammon. Although I am slowly learning to play Bridge.

My Yahoo ID is hiddenspade

Young whippersnapper!! We'll see about that Sicilian grin.gif. Unfortunately it's getting late here and I'm going to have to sign off for the night. I'll check back tomorrow.

1. P-K4 P-QB4

2. P-KB4 P-KN3

( PS: I'm 114-25-8 on Yahoo. Can you FEEL the intimidation! grin.gifgrin.gif )

*Yawn*

Good morning... wink.gif

1. P-K4 P-QB4

2. P-KB4 P-KN3

3. N-KB3

I really enjoy playing the Yahoo games. I usually play Spades, Cribbage, Hearts, and Backgammon. Although I am slowly learning to play Bridge.

Spades and Hearts are my two favorites! I was the hero of the day once in my lifeguard staff room when I shot the moon in hearts. What a sweet victory! smile.gif

I will have to surf over to Yahoo and give it a whirl . . .

DAM

1. P-K4 P-QB4

2. P-KB4 P-KN3

3. N-KB3

4. ... B-KN2

I'm going to have to find a good graphical chess board that I can call up on my screen and move the pieces around so I can keep up with the game. Thirty years ago I could play 3 or 4 games at once in my head, now it gets kind of hazy after 3 moves confused.gif Anyway, memory is the second thing to go... and I can't remember the first. smile.gif

I'll try to keep the game moving, but I'll only be able to check in once in a while during the day. You know, work, boss, and all that.

Spades and Hearts are my two favorites! I was the hero of the day once in my lifeguard staff room when I shot the moon in hearts. What a sweet victory! smile.gif

I will have to surf over to Yahoo and give it a whirl . . .

DAM

If you're ever on the backgammon boards, keep an eye out for darryl_buchanan. Say hi.

How about Poker on Yahoo? I use my forum name.

I haven't tried the card games yet. I've been going through poker withdrawal since my regular Thursday night game folded so maybe I'll stop by. smile.gif

PS: Do you play hole em on Yahoo? I watched some games for a few minutes. Didn't try to sit in. How do you get your starting stake? Does it just automatically give you some $$$ the first time you sit in?

1. P-K4 P-QB4

2. P-KB4 P-KN3

3. N-KB3 B-KN2

I'm going to have to find a good graphical chess board that I can call up on my screen and move the pieces around so I can keep up with the game. Thirty years ago I could play 3 or 4 games at once in my head, now it gets kind of hazy after 3 moves confused.gif Anyway, memory is the second thing to go... and I can't remember the first. smile.gif

I'll try to keep the game moving, but I'll only be able to check in once in a while during the day. You know, work, boss, and all that.

I just have my real life chess board here. wink.gif

1. P-K4 P-QB4

2. P-KB4 P-KN3

3. N-KB3 B-KN2

4. N-QB3