• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics #1 PR 0.5

32 posts in this topic

For the record, the brittleness of this book is at the spine. There are no pieces missing from the interior pages. The exterior edges of the pages DO NOT have chipping. What CGC graded it is what CGC graded. They are more than entitled to their opinion. On a book like this collectors have to make up their own mind.

Yo Metro! The brittleness is at the spine? I have had a few GA like that. How would you describle the page quality once you get passed the brittleness?

So why would a person want to buy an expensive Golden Age book that, while it looks attractive in the CGC slab, couldn't be taken out of the slab without the fear of inadvertantly causing damage that significantly impacts the value of the book? (Even if you were really, really careful.)

Now, am I asking about this Marvel Comics #1 in CGC 0.5, or am I talking about something like an Action #96 in CGC 9.8? (Or for that matter, Chuck's CGC 10.0 Thor #156, if you stretch this to Silver Age.)

At least you know the CGC grade of the Marvel Comics #1 won't go down.

Some food for thought for both ends of the market.

ECFANMAN

This *does* beg the question, what happens if, in submitting a slabbed book for "re-slabbing" - whether due to the slab being damaged or for the "7-year maintenance" slabbing advised by CGC, the book in question goes down in condition during its visit to CGC ?

It's one thing if the book is damaged in transit - CGC denies any responsibility for this, far as I know - but what if the damage occurs during the opening of the original slab and re-slabbing?

It's one thing if the book is damaged in transit - CGC denies any responsibility for this, far as I know - but what if the damage occurs during the opening of the original slab and re-slabbing?

I know from personal experience that CGC will cover the "fair market value" of any damage they cause. Like any business, I would assume they have insurance that covers this type of thing, but don't know that for certain.

This *does* beg the question, what happens if, in submitting a slabbed book for "re-slabbing" - whether due to the slab being damaged or for the "7-year maintenance" slabbing advised by CGC, the book in question goes down in condition during its visit to CGC ?

Do you know if you're allowed, if you wanted to in 7 yrs., to send in a book still in the slab for re-slabbing? Would CGC open it and re-slab it for you? Would they not want to assume that risk?

Chris

The October Marvel is much much rarer than the later November printing. For every 10 Nov. copies, I see 1 October printing. BTW, all the pedigree Marvel#1s are November copies.
Do you generally see premiums for the October version?

Is this copy beyond restoration? Can the pages be sprayed to halt the aging process and to give them some strength? If this book is one sneeze away from falling apart and restoration would help wouldn't it be more valuable if you could get it to a PLOD in VG condition and at least save it from its eventual doom?

West I don't know what grade your copy is but wouldn't you rather have Metro's, Cage copy which is an October print? You could still pick up a cheaper November copy with the leftover change? confused-smiley-013.gif As soon as I can afford it, this will be my first purchase.

cloud9.gif