• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Sales Tax for eBay Sellers?

19 posts in this topic

Hate to sing a sad note frown.gif, but I think sales tax on ebay will eventually happen. Too much money for the governments to let go. It may not happen right now, but within a few years at the most, I predict some sort of sales tax program in place.

I hope I'm dead wrong of course.

Hate to sing a sad note frown.gif, but I think sales tax on ebay will eventually happen.

The plan has far greater ramifications that just EBay and the Internet. I will affect all vendors who ship outside their state, and more importantly to the gov't till robbers, also hit those companies who sell their services elsewhere.

This has the makings of a huge cash cow, and will put a huge strain on the economy. The government fat cats, accountants and bankruptcy lawyers will be the only ones getting rich on this plan.

On a slightly off but related topic. I notice a lot of eBay sellers ask you to include a X% sales tax if the buyer resides within the same state as the seller. Can anyone shed a little light on this? Is this required by law? Does it depend on the state? etc.

Thanks confused.gif

On a slightly off but related topic. I notice a lot of eBay sellers ask you to include a X% sales tax if the buyer resides within the same state as the seller. Can anyone shed a little light on this? Is this required by law? Does it depend on the state? etc.

Thanks confused.gif

This is a good question. To follow up on Savage's point, I recently bought a few hundred dollars worth of books from a store/dealer in LA. I was told that they had to charge me tax, even though the books were being shipped out of state. Is this true, or were they just padding the bill on me?

This is a good question. To follow up on Savage's point, I recently bought a few hundred dollars worth of books from a store/dealer in LA. I was told that they had to charge me tax, even though the books were being shipped out of state. Is this true, or were they just padding the bill on me?

Padding the bill, and it's likely the same pack of scammers I posted about awhile back(who wanted to charge me tax in Canada 893whatthe.gif). If you want to start a fire, report them, as I highly doubt they ever remit the taxes.

Thanks confused.gif

The tax should only be imposed on you if you are within the same state and not out of state at the moment. 893censored-thumb.gif

Hate to sing a sad note frown.gif, but I think sales tax on ebay will eventually happen. Too much money for the governments to let go. It may not happen right now, but within a few years at the most, I predict some sort of sales tax program in place.

I hope I'm dead wrong of course.

I agree that it is just a matter of time before ebay sellers and internet sales in general are hit with some sort of tax. Damn govt! 893naughty-thumb.gif

In San Diego, if u pay & PICK UP an item from the San Diego comic-con charity auction or Heritage Auction, u pay the CA. state tax even if u are from Canada. tongue.gif

But one form and 6 weeks later, you can get the money back.

"In 1992, the Supreme Court ruled that forcing remote sellers to collect sales tax in states in which they do not have a physical presence would constitute an undue burden on retailers and commerce in general."

Finally! A court ruling I agree with! thumbsup2.gif

I notice a lot of eBay sellers ask you to include a X% sales tax if the buyer resides within the same state as the seller.

In my state if you hold a permit to make sales at retail you're required to collect and submit the tax $$ on a monthly of quarterly basis. The permit is required for anyone running a retail store or setting up at a comics show. You can buy a temporary permit, similar to what out of state dealers have to do for the San Diego show.

For folks making casual sales it not required to charge, collect and submit sales tax, kind of like having a yard sale. I don't know what the test is to determine when you've bridged the gap and are considered a retail seller.

I agree that it's inevitable that all internet commerce will be taxed in the US frown.gif

dave h

eBay has at least 4 telecenters around the world. The Canadian customer service center opened up in suburban Vancouver, BC a few months ago. I'm sure eBay.ca could find a way to force Canadian registered vendors to collect the sales tax especially if your "retail" sales are above a certain $ volume. 893censored-thumb.gif

eBay has at least 4 telecenters around the world. The Canadian customer service center opened up in suburban Vancouver, BC a few months ago. I'm sure eBay.ca could find a way to force Canadian registered vendors to collect the sales tax especially if your "retail" sales are above a certain $ volume. 893censored-thumb.gif

Possibly but they have to do it according to Canadian laws and I dont think Canadian laws tax online auctionsales do they?

I guess I need to look for more key issue on ebay and other on-line stores before they drop the hammer on taxing.

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gifforeheadslap.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gifforeheadslap.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif