• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flipping Turnaround Time

25 posts in this topic

When you guys flip stuff on Ebay, do you just put it up for auction basically as soon as you get it, or do you wait a while so it's not so obvious? Also, is flipping "frowned upon" by the collecting community, or is it just a fact of life?

- SK

It depends on the item and what "heat" if any is surrounding that particular book at the moment. There is no need to "hide" your purchase of the item since whoever may be willing to pay more money for it the following day, week, month, or year missed it when you purchased it for less. Flipping is frowned upon by some collectors, but unless you are loaded ($$$$$), "flipping" is the way to go! It makes collecting your favorite books just a bit cheaper! wink.gif

Their are a few types of flipping, but I will give two brief examples.

#1- You buy it fair and square on ebay, heritage, vault, dealer website/store, etc... and you sell it for a profit. The item was up for grabs by anyone and you were the one that so happened to snag it.

#2- You strong arm people to cut you a "forum member deal" with the intent of flipping and sell it or begin auctioning the darn thing off before it even arrives (or even packed for that matter!). Now that is shady! sumo.gif

#2- You strong arm people to cut you a "forum member deal" with the intent of flipping and sell it or begin auctioning the darn thing off before it even arrives (or even packed for that matter!). Now that is shady!
893whatthe.gif

#2- You strong arm people to cut you a "forum member deal" with the intent of flipping and sell it or begin auctioning the darn thing off before it even arrives (or even packed for that matter!). Now that is shady! sumo.gif

Thankfully I don't have to worry about that, since most forum members won't even sell to me. grin.gif

Thankfully I don't have to worry about that, since most forum members won't even sell to me. grin.gif

I have no problem selling to you. Is it because of shipping hassles to Canada?

I have no problem selling to you. Is it because of shipping hassles to Canada?

It was a half-joke. I've done some forum deals with certain people, but others don't seem to be able to separate the forum business from real business. grin.gif

Just an example: A certain seller told me he was selling a certain lot of comics I collect, so they weren't available. Then when a part of that certain lot was not needed by said buyer, they became available. Unfortunately, I was not under the same consideration as said buyer and apparently my money is not green enough for some people.

But hey, it's a free country and that's their right. If someone doesn't like my "forum persona" then no one can force them to treat me equally, though I have found it to be a consideration with some. For me, if Bug had a book I wanted, I'd go for it, regardless of how the little bug-ger has irritated me in the past.

On the positive side, I just made a deal for some early Defenders, and am in the process of working out a few books with the Blazing One (which could turn into a bigger buy later), along with various purchases, trades and sales to other members, so it's not all bad. thumbsup2.gif

What can I say Joe, I'm loyal to the people I've been dealing with over the last 6-7 years and they get first shot when books come up for sale. confused-smiley-013.gif I'm sure they appreciate the first rights-of-refusal, just like I do when someone finds something I'm looking for.

I've had some success recently trading the "good stuff" before trying to sell it, so that's where I was going by posting those books here. But if you're not willing to trade one of your allegedly hoarded copies of X-men 102, 137 (etc.,.), then I'm not sure what else I can do?

And as you recall, I was more than happy to sell you that Captain Marvel 25 for $25 that we went back and forth about, but since you couldn't come up with the $$ at the time, I ended up sticking it on ebay for $9 (with no reserve) and still didn't see you bidding on it? Oh well, it sold for $40+ to someone who really wanted it, so we're both happy with the way it turned out...

What can I say Joe, I'm loyal to the people I've been dealing with over the last 6-7 years and they get first shot when books come up for sale. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hey, where did you get the idea that I was referring to you? grin.gif

I really think this situation is one of misinterpretation. I was extending the "olive branch" so to speak, and seeing if some sort of "professional relationship" could be started, so maybe we could do some deals in the future. Those Byrne's seemed to be the perfect avenue, as I obviously hoarde them, and can always use a few more.

Then it became quite apparent that I'm on unequal footing, potential "trade bait" appeared that dwarfed the two books in question, and the moment was lost. If I really had to bolster my NM collection of MTU Byrne's, I'd just call up Sulipa and give him my CC.

And as you recall, I was more than happy to sell you that Captain Marvel 25 for $25 that we went back and forth about, but since you couldn't come up with the $$ at the time...

You are right about that one, and it was just bad timing. I had some pending "power outage/limbo" payments to my mini-Paypal only CC, a holiday/long weekend where no one was available, a deal with greggy that he was emoticon-ing me to death while waiting from the Paypal $$$ to come in, and I just wanted to take a few days for everything to settle down.

Maybe it's fate that we never complete a deal? blush.gif

I would have paid banner over greggy in a fartbeat tongue.gif

Greggy's my CGC man (don't get any ideas) and has always been extremely fair and upfront with me in our dealings. He sends scans quick, ships like the wind, and best of all, he's a Canuck.

Oh yeah, and greggy is the current holder of the Forum Legend title.. insane.gif

I have no problem with flipping (especially CGC books).

What I would say would be a NO, NO, would be buying unslabbed books off of eBay, Heritage, a forum member, etc. and consistently increasing the grade. While it is quite possible to buy a book and feel that it is undergraded, if you are doing that with all your books, that should que you in that you are off on your grading.

If your way of making a profit is buy selling overgraded books, with the idea that it isn't worth the buyers time and money to send the books back (especially if the shipping cost both ways is a high percentage of the total cost), that to me is dishonest. mad.gif

Ya, I certainly have no intention of being dishonest in my flipping. I'm just looking for a way to finance getting back into collecting again, and occasionally some good deals seem to go by on Ebay for stuff I wouldn't be interested in myself, but could probably resell at a small profit on another occassion. Thanks for the advice!

Oh, and what are the other well-used comic auction sites? I know of Heritage, and someone just mentioned ComicLink. Anything else out there? Also, is it just me, or does Heritage seem to take a bigger bite of the sale than Ebay?

- SK

Your best deals will come from eBay or maybe Heritage. Comiclink is really for high end books that collectors / dealers don't want to sell at a bargain.

You have to be very careful buying books that you don't really want to flip. I prefer to buy books that I would want at a good price, and then deciding maybe to sell it because I want something even more.

I think other forum members would agree that it has been fairly hard to get "really good deals" from eBay over the past few months.

And one last point on flipping. You need to keep shipping as a percentage of the cost to a minimum. While you might think you "STOLE" a book by paying $45.00 that you know you can sell for $60.00, by the time you add $7.00 in postage to get the book now you really only bought the book for 15% discount. Now add 8% to your cost for selling fees (eBay and PayPal), and yippie, you might make a $3.00 profit. shocked.gif