• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you find this 64-page book? (It pays to locate it)

40 posts in this topic

Just read the thread...so dsire was bid up to $250+, then beat, then the "thrill/shill" retracted, then dsire retracted and entered another bid (lower I'm assuming)?

dsire should have just stayed away and bid on these 2 new auctions, even the one offered with the X-O 1/2 issue

C'mon Vince, you're smarter than that. Don't be a hypocrite. Many people are buying these Valiants for the same reason you insist on hoarding Byrne X-Men's, which are VERY common(I don't have to tell you that).

Is Valiant linked to a bad time in the industry? Yes. But are there still people who will be nostalgic for them, and collect? Yes.

I'm not saying they will or will not sustain value, but some of this Valitant stuff is commanding some $$$, and I seriously doubt it's speculation $$$.

Just because you don't like something, dosen't mean it's trash necessarily. And just because people will pay money for something you wouldn't take for free, it dosen't mean they're automatically "speculators". But I guess you're a speculator if you buy anything except Byrne X-Mens, right Vince? wink.gifgrin.gif

Is Valiant linked to a bad time in the industry? Yes. But are there still people who will be nostalgic for them, and collect? Yes.

That's where we disagree. I see very, very few people becoming nostalgic for the Speculator 90's, and these latest auctions are purely hype/shill-driven madness.

When I see the term "low print runs" used in conjunction with Valiant, it only means one thing to me. I get nostalgic for the times, the stories, the fan base, etc., but for "low print runs"?

I don't watch the auctions, so you may be right about the schilling. As for the "low print runs", it's a sales gimmick, just like Silver Surfer #4 being rare, even in FVF apparently just because of that stupid notation in Overstreet. foreheadslap.gif

But from what I understand, Valiantman's site gets a lot of support, so there obviously is a fanbase out there.

For most of the 90's(mid-late), I put comics on the back burner because I was using my minimum wage earnings for beer, 3AM takeout, and girls. The only comic I read off the stands at that time was Witchblade, because I was drawn into Turner's art(still am). So now, everytime I see a Witchblade cover from #1-#25, I still get drawn in, and I'm probably going to start looking for CGC 9.8 copies just for the memories. Never under estimate nostalgia, because all it comes down to is a certain comic being there at the right time. The quality of the comic, and/or the print run becomes irrelevant.

So now, everytime I see a Witchblade cover from #1-#25, I still get drawn in, and I'm probably going to start looking for CGC 9.8 copies just for the memories.

Where were you when I was selling all of my high grades off in Christmas of 2000 and early 2001? All Turner Witchblades and variants in CGC 9.8 and higher and even the Specklefoil Foil 25 CGC 10.0 with Sara and Aspen on the front in a waterfall bath scene cloud9.gif My CGc'd copies are long gone but I do have the regular unslabbed left confused-smiley-013.gif

foreheadslap.gif

I started buying comics on Ebay through a friend's ID in Mid 2000, but by September I had stopped, and didn't even touch a computer until mid 2001. And even if I did, I would not have been buying those then.

I have unslabbed copies, but the best among them would probably get a 9.6, and most are 9.4's IMO. Because of the super glossy stock, and the fact that people drooled over the art, finding 9.8 candidates is actually pretty tough(how the hell did you find a 10.0 on that variant!?). I haven't even seen any CGC 9.8;s on Ebay except for #1. And it looks like people are not actively sending copies in, as it isn't the "hot book" it once was. frown.gif

BTW, do you have any slabbed copies of that Red Danger Girl cover(#2) where she's crawling on the floor with a smoking gun?

had... the cgc 9.9 DG 2 smoking gun cover with platinum foil logo, I've had a 9.8 and a 9.2 for that same variant since.

I've had 5 graded regular logo DG 2 smoking gun variants, ranging from 9.4-9.8...I've sold the ruby red foil logo variant CGC 8.5 once...quite the history. I even had the first cgc 9.8 German edition variant (with the same smoking gun cover) - its been fun...but I still have the ungraded variants...only graded DG I have left is a 9.6 DG 1 Chromium a go-go variant...

Believe it or not, I started this thread to "flush out" more copies of the book.

I think the price is ridiculous, and I'm sure that a few more copies hitting Ebay

would bring them back to a sustainable level.

The LAST thing that Valiant needs is another crash...

Pre-Unity $10 - $20 prices are fairly safe...

$50 is appropriate for a few books...

but $150 or so is dangerous money right now.

I'll pay $40 for a copy...

maybe $25 for a second one...

but I'd hate to see someone pay $200+

and then see the next copy go for under $100.

VM...could you (or anyone else) answer a couple questions for me please???... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1) Does this TPB reprint issue #s1 & 2 of Predator vs. Magnus?

2) Does this mean the value of Predator vs. Magnus is on the upswing or is the value of this book so whacky due to the limited print run?

3) Is Predator vs. Magnus #s 1 & 2 worth slabbing?

VM...could you (or anyone else) answer a couple questions for me please???... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

1) Does this TPB reprint issue #s1 & 2 of Predator vs. Magnus?

2) Does this mean the value of Predator vs. Magnus is on the upswing or is the value of this book so whacky due to the limited print run?

3) Is Predator vs. Magnus #s 1 & 2 worth slabbing?

Sure thing...

1) Yes... this book reprints Predator vs. Magnus #1 and #2.

(A two-issue crossover between Valiant and Dark Horse)

2) No, the regular comics themselves have not shown an increase

in value in sales on Ebay.

3) Predator #1 and #2 are common issues... not worth slabbing in my opinion.

(over 100,000 copies each.)

The value of the Predator vs. Magnus TPB is solely related to the inability

of "Valiant completist" collectors to locate a copy today.

The estimated print run (10,000 copies or less) is literally all we know.

There could be 1,000 copies... but it's unlikely that the book would have

been printed at all (mid-1994) if the number was that low.

This is a very interesting case, though... because it is a TPB for books

that everyone already owned. Since Predator vs. Magnus #1 & #2 were

common issues in late-1992... there was no need to purchase (or print) the

TPB in 1994... everyone who wanted the story already had the story.

...and the originals were still cheap for those who wanted the comics themselves.

(It's a Valiant/Dark Horse crossover, and the TPB is actually a Dark Horse book.)

If a case of the TPBs could be found... prices would drop quickly...

If even 10 copies surfaced, we'd probably see a hard downswing.

Technically, it's just a reprinting of earlier stories...

but for completists... it's a book they can't locate.

Just sold a copy of this trade offline for $35.00 to the guy that bought my Gold Omega Effect for $29.00. Thanks to www.valiantcomics.com Otherwise might of only sold it for $10.00. thumbsup2.gif

Awww... I woulda paid $40... grin.gif

Hmmm anything else your looking for PM me I have a few longs of Valaint to get rid of plus some other stuff.

Doh I just noticied it jumped to $60.00 on the website man I was caught sleeping. Now I have to go find some at my local comic shop and buy them. He generally does not know whats hot and whats not. grin.gifthumbsup2.gif

Just sold a copy of this trade offline for $35.00 to the guy that bought my Gold Omega Effect for $29.00. Thanks to www.valiantcomics.com Otherwise might of only sold it for $10.00. thumbsup2.gif

Awww... I woulda paid $40... grin.gif

Hmmm anything else your looking for PM me I have a few longs of Valaint to get rid of plus some other stuff.

Doh I just noticied it jumped to $60.00 on the website man I was caught sleeping. Now I have to go find some at my local comic shop and buy them. He generally does not know whats hot and whats not. grin.gifthumbsup2.gif

So has anyone seen a completed sale of this on eBay? I just searched and found nothing. Looks like all of the other sales previously linked were cancelled.

Ah, found one that went for $76 after reading through some discussion at ValiantComics.com.

tpb

Also saw in the discussion that one of the cancelled auctions got sold to the guy who's $239 bid was revealed due to shilling/thrill bidding/whatever. The actual sale price wasn't noted.

Can anyone name any other sales? Just wondering if I should cash in. If the sub-$100 prices are about all that can be expected then I might hang on to it. If prices are significantly higher then I might be tempted ...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That $76 auction was probably a good measuring stick...

since it was a U.S. based, non-shill, no reserve, 'ok' feedback seller.

So, yeah, $76 is about right.

I'll still give $40 and lots of gratitude if that's tempting at all.

(And I won't even flip it for... say... five years? How 'bout it?)

That $76 auction was probably a good measuring stick...

since it was a U.S. based, non-shill, no reserve, 'ok' feedback seller.

So, yeah, $76 is about right.

I'll still give $40 and lots of gratitude if that's tempting at all.

(And I won't even flip it for... say... five years? How 'bout it?)

If I pick up an extra one I'll let you know! Right now I just have one, so it'll take moneylust to make me part with it. smile.gif It's curious that none have been CGCd. I'll have to consider if mine is CGC worthy. It should be something at least 9+, most TPBs and GNs hold up pretty well.

I saw on your site that you now suggest that the print run was less than 5k. I wonder if it is actually even lower than the Solar HC after all ...?

I was looking through the section that you have where everyone inventories their collections. Saw that almost 80K comics are listed. Is there anywhere to click where you can see how many of a particular issue are inventoried? I clicked on a few collectors' lists and saw some had more than one copy in their collection. It'd be cool if you could drill into the data for an issue and see a list of owners/quantities and how many total are inventoried, like

Predator Vs Magnus TPB

Collector#1 - 2 copies

Collector #4 - 1 copy

Collector #11 - 8 copies (your new best friend... smile.gif )

Collector #76 - 1 copy

Total: 12 copies

That would make it easy for someone to go looking for someone with an extra copy of a particular issue to know who to contact!

Also would make a quick way to compare how many Solar HCs your participating collectors have vs PvM TPBs! I have one of each. It would be your own Valiant version of the Census!

I only see 2 copies for Collector #11...

(That is, id #11... the collector in 11th place doesn't have any.)

Looks like there are 56 Solar Hardcovers in the inventories,

and 16 Predator vs. Magnus TPBs.

It's unlikely that there are less than 2,000 of the Predator vs. Magnus TPBs

out there... they weren't expensive enough to limit (they'd lose money printing them).

The Solar Hardcovers were $24.95 "cover" price... so 2,000 makes more sense.

Odds are, Predator/DarkHorse collectors have the TPBs...

and they don't visit ValiantComics.com much, I'd be willing to bet. grin.gif

I only see 2 copies for Collector #11...

(That is, id #11... the collector in 11th place doesn't have any.)

Looks like there are 56 Solar Hardcovers in the inventories,

and 16 Predator vs. Magnus TPBs.

It's unlikely that there are less than 2,000 of the Predator vs. Magnus TPBs

out there... they weren't expensive enough to limit (they'd lose money printing them).

The Solar Hardcovers were $24.95 "cover" price... so 2,000 makes more sense.

Odds are, Predator/DarkHorse collectors have the TPBs...

and they don't visit ValiantComics.com much, I'd be willing to bet. grin.gif

Whoops, sorry, those were just imaginary numbers and "names". Any resemblance to actual collectors in your list was purely coincidental!