• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT, but need some help. Planning a family trip to Disneyworld

37 posts in this topic

When we took our family in 2004 we stayed at the Boardwalk Inn. The hotel is great. Restaurants and shopping right outside your door along with entertainment on the boardwalk. You can take boats to MGM and Epcot. Quick buses to the other parks or to the monorail.

More importantly, there are web sites that pair up people with Disney Vacation Club members. The DVC people have an allocation of points per year. Many have more than they need so they sell them. We bought some from one person. We probably saved over a $1000 for our stay. You get all the perks that the DVC members get during your stay. Definitely worth exploring.

DVC :cloud9:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Yacht & Beach Club. It has, without question, the very best pool on all of Disney property. Sand bottom, current pool (you can grab an inner tube and take a ride, and a nice area for the kids as well.

I have stayed at Wilderness Lodge (beautiful but bus and boat are slow), Port Orleans Riverside (Bus issues), I am staying at Polynesian this summer (On Monoral, should be fine) and I have stayed at Coronado Springs (Bus issues). I would say that you will enjoy staying on the property. I hear a lot of good about the Polynesian and that is why we are staying there. I can also tell you that Wilderness was awesome.

One last thing, Jan. is Disney Month at AAA. Join for $55, and you will get a huge savings over what may be quoted on the Disney Site. It is worth it, I saved over $600 vs. the website price.

Here is the extent of my planning

Get kids in car.

Drive 35 minutes.

Park.

Walk to tram.

Take tram to gate.

Wait in line.

Show pass.

Enter.

Stay awhile.

See above steps in reverse with kids getting "out" of the car when we arrive home.

DVC :cloud9:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Yacht & Beach Club. It has, without question, the very best pool on all of Disney property. Sand bottom, current pool (you can grab an inner tube and take a ride, and a nice area for the kids as well.

I just stayed at the Beach Club for a week in October of last year. I cannot recommend it more highly, except for the price.

We had a villa that 5 people lived in comfortably witha full kitchen, dishes, pots, fridge. Maids did the dishes every day. Pool is crazy good. My kids really liked the parks so we were able to get them away, but other families I have talked to complained it was hard to get the kids away from the pool/beach/waterslide complex. :)

My recommendation is to just pick one that is on the monorail. As you may have already noticed, all the posts above that mention the bus system don't give it praise. Of the multiple times I visited DisneyWorld, I stayed at one of the budget hotels only one time and competely disliked it due to the bus issues. In my experience, the boats were also slow but other people don't seem to have been through that. Maybe Disney has made things better since the last time I was there.

I've stayed at the Contemporary and while it is neat to have the monorail going through the building, you can hear it through the walls depending on where your room is since the vibration and resonance within the building seems to amplify the noise. I'd go with the Polynesian, or Grand Floridian (if you can afford it). Plus, when I was there, we would take the monorail to the Grand Floridian for the breakfast with Disney characters thing where you get a great breakfast and the kids can run around with all kinds of Disney characters.

I live 25 minutes away from Disneyworld, spend lots of time there!

The monorail only connects with Magic Kingdom and the other MK resorts, (not with the other parks) the monorail to Epcot only connects at the ticket & transportation center which connects to the MK monorail.

Rent a car, don't depend on the buses, stay at a cheaper resort (they are all good) to make up for the car! Make dining reservations now, many of the best places are booked up! Book two, for the same meal, cancel one 24-48 hours before! We make reservations at O'Hanas for my June 8th birthday (every year) in Dec. I would aslo highly recommend Prime Time Cafe at Disney's Hollywood resort

You don't need to park hop, theres plenty to do in each park! Resting a day or two in the middle of the visit is always a good thought!

Learn about Fass Pass, use it well!

PM me anytime for tips and other questions!

:)

• Administrator

One thing my husband and I discovered is that the restaurant in Cinderella's Castle is really good...and fun for the kids b/c you are up above the park and, of course, in the castle being treated like royalty. The food is kinda pricey if you are budgeting, but we feel it is well worth the price of the meal. (the prime rib is great!) The only problem is getting in...but we found that if you go to their reservation desk (on the far side of the castle on the right when you go through) and put your name in on their cancellation list.. you can often check back later and they will have a reservation available for you, or they may just tell you to come back at a specific time and wait around. This is by the carousel and pretty close to the flying Dumbos so if your son gets restless while waiting to be seated there are diversions....

Enjoy your trip!!!

you can often check back later and they will have a reservation available for you, or they may just tell you to come back at a specific time and wait around.

Or more likely, they'll tell you they are booked up and nothing else, if you are considering this call them now!

I've ate there 4 times, (special occasions) while the food if good, I've never been to excited by it and it is very pricey! O'Hanas will fill you, ask for more they'll bring it, the castle might not fill you and more cost more.

:)

One thing my husband and I discovered is that the restaurant in Cinderella's Castle is really good...and fun for the kids b/c you are up above the park and, of course, in the castle being treated like royalty. The food is kinda pricey if you are budgeting, but we feel it is well worth the price of the meal. (the prime rib is great!) The only problem is getting in...but we found that if you go to their reservation desk (on the far side of the castle on the right when you go through) and put your name in on their cancellation list.. you can often check back later and they will have a reservation available for you, or they may just tell you to come back at a specific time and wait around. This is by the carousel and pretty close to the flying Dumbos so if your son gets restless while waiting to be seated there are diversions....

Enjoy your trip!!!

The prime rib was pretty good. Fun place to eat. (thumbs u

Contemporary Resort: Concord Steak House- best steak & get the potatoes with butter. It's a wonderful experience.

Polynesian Resport: Go to the Luau (or however you spell it)- it's a little pricey but a great show with LOTS of great food.

Grand Floridian: High Tea- not so great for the guy but for the wife, this is reminiscent of childhood and an experience I'm sure she'll love (my wife still raves about this as one of her favorite Disney experiences).

Animal Kingdom: Boma's Buffet- HUGE buffet with an African feel to it. Lots of amazing, fresh food AND kid-friendly (yes, they have traditional kiddie foods if you have picky eaters). The lobby is great to browse around while you're waiting too.

Downtown Disney: Earl of Sandwich- (for Disney) an inexpensive place to grab some fantastic sandwiches and salads. I highly recommend the Earl Grey Lemonade.

Boardwalk: Big River Brewery- BEST microbeer on Disney's property (and arguably best overall since you don't need a park pass to get to this beer unlike Epcot).

Yacht & Beach Club: 1. Best pool in all of Disney. See my previous post. 2. Cape May Cafe's New England Clam Bake- all you can eat w/ lots of sea food and all sorts of other great stuff.

Ok... that should give you something of a rundown on good places to eat. :)