• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FC #631

11 posts in this topic

Steve:

It's hard to say since the book is already slabbed. It's hard enough trying to grade from a scan but near impossible on such a small one of a book already slabbed. Especially with no back scan. Just my gut reaction looking at that picture is that it looks to be undergraded. However, I don't have the benefit of seeing it up close much less holding it. Have you called for grader's notes on the ones you feel were undergraded? It might help to ease your mind. I did on books in my first submission. Based on the notes, I missed a pretty big flaw on one that came back 9.0 that I thought was going to be like 9.4. Give CGC a call.

I'd buy GA 6.5's like that all day long!!!

So what would you grade it at?

If I gave you a grade it would be pulling it out of ***. But since that what I do anyway, I'd say a quick impression grade would be about an 8.0. As I pointed out before in the Sales thread, you have to keep in mind the gpa for your books. Currently you're priced at $150 and the last sale of an 8.0 in 11/07 was $131, a 6.0 was $31 in 04/07. Again as I said before, I don't have any problem letting the market come to you though.

There appears to be color rub going down the cover along the spine (visible in the green box at the top and on Fess's arm at the bottom). That may account for the grade. (shrug)

VK:

Here's the grader's notes:

3/4" crease on bottom of front cover near spine

spine wear

stresses that break color on spine

wrinkles on the front cover

My guess is that the wrinkles and the 3/4" crease killed that book.

Hope this helps some. I really encourage you to call a get notes on 1 or 2 of the books you think were undergraded.

I still say bullcrap. Those notes make the book sound MUCH worse thasn it actually is. They nitpicked the hell out of my books. That's what I get for disagreeing with the almighty veal-eater, Mark H., about what makes a pedigree....

No offense but posts like this make you sound a little tin-foil-hat-wearing. If you didn't believe in CGC's independent grading, why send a big lot of books in? I'm beginning to wonder if your posts on grading are to: 1) person_without_enough_empathy about the grading you got; 2) person_without_enough_empathy about CGC in general; or 3) pimp your books at Pedigree.

I suggested you call and get the grader's notes on the books you disagree with. I'm now thinking you already have but just don't like them so you're going to question whether CGC likes you or not. :screwy: Unless I see good cause, I'm done trying to be helpful to you in this respect.

I still say bullcrap. Those notes make the book sound MUCH worse thasn it actually is. They nitpicked the hell out of my books. That's what I get for disagreeing with the almighty veal-eater, Mark H., about what makes a pedigree....

WOW, sounds like sour grapes here.

If you are implying that you rubbed someone from CGC the wrong way and that is why your books got hammered.

If that is the case then I would suggest you don't send them in, give them a grade and sell them raw. If people agree with your grade they will keep them and thank you, if they don't and you start getting returns, then maybe CGC is correct (shrug)

I think everyone acknowledges that even CGC can be inconsistent in its grading.

First, I can't really speak as to what gets a pedigree designation and what doesn't. The story you and Doug gave that this is an OO collection of which only 500 books survived seems to fall short of a true pedigree. Combine the low # of books with the fact that, so far, many of them are simply mid-grades and you can see that many people wouldn't designate that as a pedigree. That's not a bar to having good selling results though. Just see the Sid's Luncheonette sales of one boardie here and on ComicLink.

Second, you could go a long way in your argument by posting whatever grader's notes you have and pointing to the book to see if people agree with the grade. I didn't even remember the story behind the collection until a few minutes ago. Doug stated that a large part of the collection was lost when his parents' basement flooded. Connect that with the wrinkles noted in the 631 and I'm guessing there is a pattern here. My guess is that many of the books may have wrinkling or moisture exposure issues. Did you find out about rust on the staples or anything similar?

Third, you sound experienced in comics so the following is probably unnecessary to say. Grading is cumulative. While your Uncle Scrooge 3 may have sounded worse in the grader's notes, it might have better overall appearance. Who knows.