• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay cuts fees & tightens standards for sellers

52 posts in this topic

* Buyers will only be able to receive positive Feedback.

There's some good news! Nothing like encouraging dickwads who don't pay to bid more often!

Just requires you now to hit people with UPIs all the time.

I think I’ve only ever had to follow through in one instance; usually one email with the threat is enough to get them to cough up. No fear of negative feedback will just encourage more doofi to make casual bids, people who have to be chased to pay. I always seem to have one every time I run auctions, and it’s always for some $5 item.

The fee changes are going to kill me; I don’t sell regularly and it’s mostly low-ticket items. It finally may not be worth the effort for me anymore. But like you said - that's what they want.

There's some good news! Nothing like encouraging dickwads who don't pay to bid more often!

Oh great.

Idooit buys book for $100.

Demands I mail the item before sending payment or he'll leave a negative or insists on some other conditions.

No chance at response... (shrug)

I think I’ve only ever had to follow through in one instance; usually one email with the threat is enough to get them to cough up. No fear of negative feedback will just encourage more doofi to make casual bids, people who have to be chased to pay. I always seem to have one every time I run auctions, and it’s always for some $5 item.

The fee changes are going to kill me; I don’t sell regularly and it’s mostly low-ticket items. It finally may not be worth the effort for me anymore. But like you said - that's what they want.

That's exactly what they want. They don't want the small time guy anymore, because its got to be a pain in the for them to track down people for payment, etc. etc. They want people like me, unfortunately, who is a PowerSeller, and makes them $15K a year. I'll bet soon enough they will raise the levels for PowerSellers, so all of the people who are currently "Bronze" PowerSellers ($1k a month) won't be PowerSellers anymore.

That's exactly what they want. They don't want the small time guy anymore, because its got to be a pain in the for them to track down people for payment, etc. etc. They want people like me, unfortunately, who is a PowerSeller, and makes them $15K a year. I'll bet soon enough they will raise the levels for PowerSellers, so all of the people who are currently "Bronze" PowerSellers ($1k a month) won't be PowerSellers anymore.

:sorry:

Oh great.

Idooit buys book for $100.

Demands I mail the item before sending payment or he'll leave a negative or insists on some other conditions.

No chance at response... (shrug)

Wouldn't that fall under someone just not paying and ebay has its own system for that don't they?.. I would not think feedback for non payers would be able to count...

You guys are missing this part I think...

"

Buyers will be held more accountable when sellers report an unpaid item or commit other policy violations.

"

More than likely if ebay has any brains there feedback will be removed for non payers or even left with a negative/non paying feedback listed under the sellers name. If ebay was really smart and wanted to put a stop to this they would make it so that non buyers would have to pay the ebay fees of those auctions for the seller that would really put a stop to it

I've only been a non bider once but it was off some guy from hong kong who worded his shipping very trickly to make it sound like it was a certain % off shipping prices if you bid on one or more of his auctions when it was not... I out right told him that and offered to pay his auction fees at the least though my self strangly enough I never got any reply back from him or ebay or pay pal :S

8.75% of the initial $25.00, plus 3.50% of the remaining closing value balance ($25.01 to $1,000.00)

does this mean that ebay only charges you 3.50% of the remaining balance after it reaches 25.01?

Yes. 3.5% on dollars from $25.01-$1000, 1.5% (no change) on dollars $1000.01 and up.

And Tuppeny was asked what is best in life.

"To crush your enemies, and see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women..."

And the chieftain said unto him, "Yes Tuppenay, that is good."

And Tuppeny was asked what is best in life.

"To crush your enemies, and see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women..."

And the chieftain said unto him, "Yes Tuppenay, that is good."

Hey Glen! :hi: You shoulda come to the dinner at FX!!

What a rip. The FVFs have just gotten insane. The way it looks to me is they lower the insertion fees by a nickle and the item only needs to sell for about $1.50 and they have already recouped the nickle in extra FVFs.

Just like insurance - Modern day racketeering

What a rip. The FVFs have just gotten insane. The way it looks to me is they lower the insertion fees by a nickle and the item only needs to sell for about $1.50 and they have already recouped the nickle in extra FVFs.

Just like insurance - Modern day racketeering

Lets get 'em. :devil:

Seriously, I can't belive Google or someone isn't trying to get a piece of the action.

Thats what I've been sayin. Google's money could roll right over eBay. With two big auction sites in the market we would all win.

Well, I spent a few moments to make a chart to show just how much eBay is taking. It's pretty ugly and works out to a 12.78% average increase in eBay cost to do business:

http://homepage.mac.com/cpu/PercentOfSalePricePaidTofeeBay.jpg

It's even worse when you look at the cost of selling through an eBay store! Although I'm wondering if the spread of cost between auction and store inventory sales has actually shrunk to the point where the difference is slight.

Oh, and I love how they have sneakily decapitated the reserve price feature! I expect this change will get a LOT of complaint.