• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JEMAS OUT OF MARVEL BY JANUARY

34 posts in this topic

He wasn't all bad, but his arrogance-inspired bad decisions were mounting up and beginning to overshadow his good decisions. This doesn't shock me, but I'm surprised and pleased to see that Marvel's upper management didn't just let him stay on his ego trip!

I also hope this inspires Quesada to eat some humble pie. He's nowhere near Jemas with regards to egotism, but he's well on his way. As much as we were saying in another thread how arrogant Stan Lee might be, at least he hides it well in his public relations...Jemas and Quesada openly display it in quote after quote after quote. Hard to like guys who dismiss and/or fire people and ideas at the drop of a bat like they do.

Sounds like the writing was on wall for a number of months now. I wonder if his fate was sealed during his dress down by Perlmutter? Anyway, it explains alot. Waid coming back to FF seemed quite odd so soon after being fired. And the previously announced "new" team being relegated to a third title.

By the way Darth, I don't think Jemas should go to Crossgen and seriously doubt they'd have him. Marvel seemed to roll along in spite of Jemas not as a result of his influence...... tongue.gif

Jim

I also hope this inspires Quesada to eat some humble pie. He's nowhere near Jemas with regards to egotism, but he's well on his way.

I'm not sure it's arrogance so much as he's trying so hard to be seen in the Stan Lee mold. He does at times seem like the "master of hype"....

Jim

This comment sums it up:

"Reports have leaked out that Marvel’s Avi Arad found Jemas’ take on Marvel characters made it more difficult for him to sell the properties in Hollywood"

I dislike Jemas intensely, but I respect his business acumen to the same level. This is a bad, bad, bad mistake by Marvel and shows that Arad is listening to the wrong HW types and may drive the company down once again.

The hype is off superheroes as movie properties, there are no new Marvel movies planned after the current 3-year schedule comes to a close, and naturally someone had to pay for Arad not understanding market realities (and drinking too much cheap HW champagne).

Jemas knows one thing, how to make money. That is a valuable commodity, no matter his personality flaws, and I expect Marvel to do much worse without him.

This comment sums it up:

"Reports have leaked out that Marvel’s Avi Arad found Jemas’ take on Marvel characters made it more difficult for him to sell the properties in Hollywood"

I dislike Jemas intensely, but I respect his business acumen to the same level. This is a bad, bad, bad mistake by Marvel and shows that Arad is listening to the wrong HW types and may drive the company down once again.

The hype is off superheroes as movie properties, there are no new Marvel movies planned after the current 3-year schedule comes to a close, and naturally someone had to pay for Arad not understanding market realities (and drinking too much cheap HW champagne).

Jemas knows one thing, how to make money. That is a valuable commodity, no matter his personality flaws, and I expect Marvel to do much worse without him.

Man ...you beat me to it as I was making another inane point about Jemas and ripping into Crossgen, but this is exactly what I zeroed in on. Why are they letting the "Hollywood" crowd dictate how comics are run? Doesn't Time warner/AOL's meddling in DC affairs and policiesring a bell?

Maybe....and I won't argue that Jemas has made lots of money for Marvel. But.....

Jemas did practically nothing whatsoever to capitalize off the movies. How much licencee promotion was there for DD? X2? To be fair....there was some Hulk merchandise available and it wasn't his fault that movie sucked. Ultimately though Marvel squandered what opportunities the movies' provided and Jemas is center to that.

Also where are the TV properties? DC has been very successful with Smallville and Justice League. You can also find multitudes of product other than the comics in the toy stores and teen readers book shelves based on these properties. Hell they can even make a successful Teen Titans cartoon work (and coming to a store near you; the figurines). Other than the MTV Spider-Man, where are the other TV properties? Where are the teen readers X-Men books?

Marvel had ample high vis opportunities to increase their money flow through avenues other than comics (and movies) and have fallen short repeatedly. That can directly be attributed to Jemas' leadership.....

Don't know if a card guy can fit the bill either though. We'll see....

Jim

Maybe....and I won't argue that Jemas has made lots of money for Marvel. But..... Jemas did practically nothing whatsoever to capitalize off the movies.

Trust me, if there was money to be made, Jemas would have found it. You seem to think vendors were lining up for unproven movies, when in fact, it really took the success of Spidey and X2 to open the doors. After that, Hulk was on everything (I have Hulk chips and Jello from my last shopping trip), and they must have made a bundle on ol greenskin.

Maybe....and I won't argue that Jemas has made lots of money for Marvel. But..... Jemas did practically nothing whatsoever to capitalize off the movies.

Trust me, if there was money to be made, Jemas would have found it. You seem to think vendors were lining up for unproven movies, when in fact, it really took the success of Spidey and X2 to open the doors. After that, Hulk was on everything (I have Hulk chips and Jello from my last shopping trip), and they must have made a bundle on ol greenskin.

I don't think that that is a fair comparison based on the popularity of the Hulk in the 1970s TV series . . .

On another note, do you think this means the end of Marvel's MAX line?

It's obvious that PG-13 Hollywood doesn't like their "properties" getting nasty in a R-rated manner, and I'm wondering how long this adult line will last?

Uh no....it was Spidey and X-Men that opened the doors. Marvel was on a roll movie-wise and did next to nothing to licence DD or X2 (the next two down the line). I may give you DD as unproven but X-Men is a known quantity and kids still watch the cartoon. To say X2 was an unproven property is false and the movie was forecast beforehand to be one of summer's blockbusters. There was ample amounts of movie tie-ins that could be capitalize off of. Jemas didn't.

As far as the Hulk.....I already indicated that Marvel used the movie to licence but it's funny (or maybe Marvel's dumb luck) that the one property that was exploited was the weakest of the three.

Jim

I'm enjoying your efforts to bash the President of Marvel PUBLISHING for the overall corporate health of Marvel and promotional tie-ins of which he had only moderate input and limited involvement.

Never mind that the Jemas publishing presidency made those same titles readable and accessible by the time the movies were out. If you have a Daredevil movie coming out you make sure that Daredevil is given the proper treatment in his own mag before you inundate the market with a flood of tie-ins.

Again, toys, cards and other BS were the purview of another division of Marvel not publishing.

Avi Arad is the man in charge of Marvel's properties in Movies and Television and is untouchable. Pick your bones with the right guy.

Kev

Alias (THE urrent flagship of MArvel MAX, imo...) is ending and moving into Marvel PSR+ territory, Supreme Power is a limited, Eternal - not much promise there... you may be onto something there

"Deathlok: Detour" by Darick Robertson is supposed to be a MAX title. It launches in January and is six issues.

But yeah, I think Epic is now dead. Probably MAX, but Quesada is still supporting it if the project's a fit for the MAX line.

Kev