• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To mylar or not to mylar...

111 posts in this topic

Mylites - 1mil thick

Mylites2 - 2mil thick

Archives - 4mil thick

I really don't like the regular Mylites - they feel flimsy, and crinkle very easily. Mylites2 all the way for me.

I'm not familiar with Mylite2...are they identical to Mylites but thicker, or is there a difference in the flap?

Great thread folks! :applause:

This is one conversation that I can truly appreciate for the insight and experiences related. I've been wanting to make the jump from poly to mylar and have been hunting for a Canadian supplier of Archives. Sounds like I'd be much better off going to the Mylites2 instead, and they seem to be far easier to come by.

I'm sure you'd be able to hear me scream all the way south of the border if I dinged up one of my Ditko ASMs sliding it into an Archive. :)

Thanks!

I have been out of the comic bagging world for many years now.

Would it be too much to ask for someone to post pics of the different styles here in this thread?

I honestly have no idea the difference in a mylar and a mylite or how in the heck one could slice open a comic.

Thanks.

Here you go ...

Mylite

cgc_mylites1.jpg

Mylite2

cgc_mylites2.jpg

Archive

cgc_archives.jpg

Mylite2 + Archive combo

cgc_archives_mylites2.jpg

Just the bags

cgc_all.jpg

Thanks. That is just what I was hoping for.

But now another question comes to mind from your photo of just the bags.

Is the Mylite2 also clearer or do you just have a different kind of backer board in the regular mylite. (It seems darker in the photo).

And Count,

How does your archive have a flap? I only have one of these and it seems like any flap would break the plastic because it is so thick/

Great thread folks! :applause:

This is one conversation that I can truly appreciate for the insight and experiences related. I've been wanting to make the jump from poly to mylar and have been hunting for a Canadian supplier of Archives. Sounds like I'd be much better off going to the Mylites2 instead, and they seem to be far easier to come by.

I'm sure you'd be able to hear me scream all the way south of the border if I dinged up one of my Ditko ASMs sliding it into an Archive. :)

Thanks!

I agree, this thread has helped me also.

(thumbs u

Is the Mylite2 also clearer or do you just have a different kind of backer board in the regular mylite. (It seems darker in the photo).

Yeah, the backing board in the regular Mylite is an old-school acid-free Half-back backing board ... they used to be darker back then. The one in the Mylite2 is the Half-back backing board you can buy today.

I have been out of the comic bagging world for many years now.

Would it be too much to ask for someone to post pics of the different styles here in this thread?

I honestly have no idea the difference in a mylar and a mylite or how in the heck one could slice open a comic.

Thanks.

And Count,

How does your archive have a flap? I only have one of these and it seems like any flap would break the plastic because it is so thick/

I'll take a picture and post it. It is pretty thick...

Here are the Mylars with the flaps.

DSCN2071.jpg

DSCN2070.jpg

These are timeloks right? That flap is what scares me as I have seen it destroy books before.

Basically what we sell, the mylite4's are the same protection wise except the flap is squared off and not prefolded. They are the toughest meanest protection against dropping/mishandling.

I use mylite2 bag and boards for my gold,silver,bronze keys and then place them into a top loader,it's very strong almost as strong as the CGC cases

IMG_0591.jpg

:o(worship)

Are there top loaders that fit silver age books? The current top loaders I have are too small for my SA books. Any suggestions?

Personally I would not use toploaders to put mylars in.

Toploads are polycarbonates. Your basically putting an archival solution (mylar) into a non archival solution (polybag/topload)

They look super sharp, I just personally wouldn't do it. The topload will offgas and could cross contaminate your books (albeit very slowly) I just wouldn't do it but they look great for display purposes.

PS: I can get you the silver top loads. I will list those on my site shortly (if available)