• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long can a book last?

28 posts in this topic

I've assumed we're talking archival storage here, correct? Not finding NEWSPAPER stock (the worst), from 80 years ago. As 'Count' wrote in his post, we have zero knowledge of how they were stored, but we could very easily extrapolate a theory, that they were stored poorly.

A Full back board with activated charcoal laminated between two sheets of true archival acid free board, in a 4mil Mylar, out of sunlight, and as MUCH light as possible, and in a cooler part of a dwelling, and that book will last in MY opinion, 500 years for sure...give, or take, the mathematical chance of global nuclear annihillation.

I personally have very little doubt of my statement...cheers

Found this today.

Has some good things to say about microchamber paper when used with Mylar/poly bags.

It appears that mylar/poly bags by themself may or may not be the best idea for storage in isolation.

Thoughts???

51920-Microchamber.JPG.5646d9cf2a916a4c47d8bf04dd3b633a.JPG

Found this today.

Has some good things to say about microchamber paper when used with Mylar/poly bags.

It appears that mylar/poly bags by themself may or may not be the best idea for storage in isolation.

Thoughts???

It certainly lends creedence to the theory that books encapsulated in an air tight environment may "stew" in their own offgassing, speeding up deterioration. The microchamber paper acts to neutralize the offgasses, so books encapsulated with microchamber paper did not deteriorate as quickly.