• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

top 10 Magazines?

57 posts in this topic

A coupl of years ago I shifted from comics to the BW comic mags of the mid 60's -> the late 70's. So, speaking for myself and being fairly well aware of the bw mag market ...

In no order

Addendum... these are the issues of note that I think wil be submitted most often rather than what I would consider a top 10 rare or valuable issues that will be submitted ..

1. Savage Tales #1 , 1st conan mag and 1st man-thing

2. Vampirella #1 , High profile character still today, frazetta cover, and a fairly good supply of em to feed to CGC.

3. Vampirella #3 , Scarce issue : I hesitate to include Vampi 113 (first Harris use of their new license following Warren's bankruptcy.

4. Creepy #1 , probly the finest comic format book ever produced. Lots of em out there so expect the census to fill quickly on this one.

5. Eerie #2 : note eerie #1 is a comic book and the first printing was limited to 200 issues so dont expect many of these to show up.

6. Savage Sword of Conan #1 : again a good population of these out there, very curious what the census wil look like on these concerning the high grade issues

7. Spec. Spider Man #1 : extremely hard to find in vf+ or higher, great mag.

8. Marvel Preview #2 : Punisher Origin

9. Nightmare #1 : Classic skywald title from the early 70's. Most easily found of the 3 key skywald horror mags (Nightmare,Psycho,Scream).

10. Planet of the Apes #1: again , a high visibility subject with plenty of copies out there.

Also rans

Tales of the Zombie

The Spirit

Deadly hands of kung-fu

Vampire Tales

Dracula Lives

Now If they will only grade my Vampi HC ... Hardback graphic novels anyone?

HC comics are the most neglected and undervalued section of the comic market ... but that's anudder thread.

Nice input guys, now, wahts gonna grab the $$$? The Hulk 181 of the magazine world??

And just to remind some of you guys, they are intending to only grade 'comic related' magazines. So that puts out your Britney Rolling stones or those FHMs! foreheadslap.gif

Not sure if this will be graded under current CGC magazine guidelines but if it is then the rare bird of the mag market will be the Vampirella 1977 HC. Judging by its dimensions it should fit in the Mag Slab just not sure if CGC is gonna commit to grading these guys yet...

History

Only 500 of these guys were ever made and they are the only HC warren ever produced. To save on costs they printed this extremely cheaply via some 3rd rate publishing house in Mexico. So cheaply in fact that when the copies arrived at Warren half of them were immediately deemed unsaleable (And almost all of them had spine splits and cover rub). Not sure what happened to the 250 deemed unsaleable , if you have info on this please share ... best guess is they were either destroyed or handed out to friends and employees at warren. Now several key copies do still exist and their history in known. Frank Warren still has his copy but it is extremely haggard and sports what he calls the 'Frazetta Coffee Ring'. Last time he was in negotiation to sell this book was about 3 years ago and he was asking over 3k for it. If Pepe Gonzalez has one than that copy would be one of the big 3 to grab but no one has confirmed this as far as I know. Now, Bill Dubay had a copy and I know its history well as it is currently the one I own. When the books arrived at Warren Bill rifled the stack for the best condition issue and pulled that for his own... He later sold that to a rare book dealer (specializes in comic hardcovers) and who is also a consultant to Overstreet on this part of the market.

In the process of purchasing this item Ive managed to talk to both Frank Warren and Bill Dubay regarding the Vampirella 77 HC. In summation it is doubtful if more than 100 copies still exist today and none exist (without restoration) that would be in a condition greater than VG+.

Pricing:

It is a sellers market, especially if you have copy in VG condition.

In 15 years of searching ,the dealer I mentioned previously , found 3 copies of this HC, and 2 of these were found by contacting Frank Warren and Bill Dubay.

Overstreet lists this book at approx 500 dollars in mint. This is ridiculous. If a mint copy existed I would easily pay over 10k for it (unresotred).

Ive seen restored VF copies go for $1500 and in a bidding war I would probly go as high as 4-5k for one. (minor restoration that is)

I recently saw a poor condtion copy turn up on ebay, not sure what it went for but its shape is what I would guess would be typical of most of the issues out there. Severe spine splits,Pages were not flat and looked as if at some point they had been exposed to water, color was a brittle brown.

If you have any first hand knowledge regarding this book please do share as I am trying to gather all info I can regarding this rare issue.

if the vampi HC isnt gradeable then

Blazing Combat #1 :

Warren does War featuring Frazetta. Extremely hard book to find and one hell of a pedigree behind it.

I'll try to think of a top 10 most undervalued and post that if I come up with a solid list (I can think of 3 or 4 for sure but would be hard to fill out a top 10 list)

just back from san francisco, MAN am i behind on posts! The big shocker will be famous monsters. In high grade these have continually sold for jaw dropping multiples in grade. Watch out For #1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 11, 12, 20, 21, 22, 26 to bring NSANE prices 9.2 and above. Also later black or white based covers like 69, & 97, 108. Spine splitting is so rampant on these earlier ones & there are so many 60's monsters collectors, it will be scary!!!!

That's it thumbsup2.gif

I used to have a copy of that mag. I think it coincided with the launch of the Freddy's Nightmares TV program in 89-90 ?

There's something about those black and white horror mags that I always found a bit unsettling...

For instance I remember this issue of Creepy or Eerie or something in a grocery store when I was a kid...the cover had King Kong holding a woman and fighting Jaws in the ocean....

And here I was thinking 'geesh, how tall does that Ape have to be to be standing in the ocean fighting a giant shark?!?!' I certainly didn't want to open it up after that!

That was a Famous Monsters cover that had Jaws vs. Ape on the cover (I think #146 without checking).

And I definitely agree that on the whole, Famous Monsters prices (once graded) will blow the roof off most every other magazine series you can think of. Most collectors of high grade FM's are also serious movie poster collectors and are used to dropping big $$$ for nice items for their collections. The entire run of FM will have serious heat.

RedRaven

How scarce is the Vamp 3? Is this the kind of book that fetches guide price or higher even if its in the F/VF range?

I don't know which will the top ten, but there are a number of mags which I would choose that have already been mentioned; namely the Spectacular Spider-man 1 and 2, the Vamp's and Sci-Fi Mags, and one that no one mentioned yet, EC's Shock Illustrated 1-3....

BTW: Anyone have a Shock Illustrated 3 they'd like to sell? grin.gif

RedRaven

How scarce is the Vamp 3? Is this the kind of book that fetches guide price or higher even if its in the F/VF range?

I don't know which will the top ten, but there are a number of mags which I would choose that have already been mentioned; namely the Spectacular Spider-man 1 and 2, the Vamp's and Sci-Fi Mags, and one that no one mentioned yet, EC's Shock Illustrated 1-3....

BTW: Anyone have a Shock Illustrated 3 they'd like to sell? grin.gif

Motor City has one.

Motor City has one.

Thanks FD. Do you know what they want for it, and what grade?

My question was originally geared towards knowing whether this is one of those "low distribution" books that Overstreet claims is scarcer (ie. Silver Surfer 4), and is really pretty common. Do you know whether Vamp 3 is truly a HTF mag?

It (#3) is harder to come-by than say issue #1 , however you should have no trouble finding a copy. A copy of it will turn up about every 2 weeks or so on ebay.

Sidenote: Issue 113 is the one issue I find less than any ... at best an issue appears every month to 2 months.

Does comicbase have circ numbers for these guys???

anyways...

Btw: this first one is advertised as NM but it definitely has major probs. 893naughty-thumb.gif

There was a true VF+/NM- copy of this that sold on ebay about 2 months ago for approx $375. Nicest copy Ive seen come around. Still kicking myself for not getting it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2195651300&category=12592

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2195296275&category=12592

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3556756057&category=1142