• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

top 10 Magazines?

57 posts in this topic

Famous monsters IS going to sell well, the thing is there are 2 distinct groups of difficulty. All the warehouse find copies are nearly worthless, and they are the ones you see up in quantities like this. #1-30, 38, 46, 49, 52, 66, 69, 82, 92, 99 & a few others are much more difficult and sell for $40-$50 or so for the later ones in raw VF-NM to as much as $1200 for the earlier ones in raw VF-NM. The cover variation of #6 would likely sell for $3500 if one would come up for sale, there are only 2 known.

going back to the original Question, the top 10 9.4 mags should be

#1. Famous Monsters #6 cover variation

#2. TMNT #1

#3. Cerebus #1

#4. Famous Monsters #1

#5. Famous Monsters #4 Variation

#6. Eerie #17

#7. Famous Monsters #4

#8. Famous Monsters #6

#9. Famous Monsters #3

#10. Famous Monsters #5

I know many of you think i am slanting towards FM, but i am just using actual sales data to build the list. The only reason cerebus & TMNT are as high as they are is because i believe comic people will drive them up really high where as now they don't sell as high as the other FM's do. I have seen a NM eerie #17 break $1000, and it was the only high grade sale i have seen in over 2 years. Time will tell i suppose.

I believe you. There's bound to be a few people in the film industry are into FM and will pay well for them.

I think that gothicatrocity guy did himself no favors by announcing that all his books were from the warehouse... I think he would have gotten better bids if he had just clammed up and let people figure it out for themselves. blush.gif

Yeah...but those mags have been offered in quantity for years through the Koch warehouse and probably the Dolgoff warehouse. They're everywhere! tonofbricks.gif BTW...I'm sure the guy wants to move them out in quantity and not get the maximum $$ for them. tongue.gif

Wow, seeing those stacks of pristine vintage Warren mags is terrifying and beautiful at the same time! Gorgeous stuff, but between the Warren warehouse find and Chuck's MH II kicker, I'd never put serious money into them (or even think about slabbing or buying slabbed copies). Still, if I can pick up some nice warehouse copies on the cheap to add to my Vampis and Eeries, that would be cool... thumbsup2.gif

Gene

I was just talking to bronzejunkie on email, apparently he's bought from this guy before and the 'NM' copies are far from it. So take the grading with a grain of salt. flamed.gif

I've been collecting FM's and basically most Warren titles for quite sometime now and I trully believe that Eerie#17 is the most overpriced fake rare issue there is in the lot. If you open your eyes and ask around a little more you will find many, many copies. But that variant copy of FM#6 is going to go through the roof in true 9.4. I don't even want to guess what some of my FM friends alone will bid that sucker up to.

If Warrens are your thing, try digging up a copy of Heidi Saha(nn) in true NM(Warren fell in love with some weird Scandinavian pop star from the 60's and decided to base an entire issue on her and her weird music). This is one of the holy grails of warren Completionists and is a real [!@#%^&^] to find in nearly any grade, if anyone has one, I am looking to upgrade. Some of the Westerns mags they made are just as hard to find in grade and will fetch massive sums once they are able to be graded. The last few issues of FM #189,#190,#191-- Are still mega cheap on ebay, but are quite hard to gather in true near mint.(low print run) I recomend anyone to find these issues to start your collection with. Then move onto pieceing yourself a collection in the high #100's(most are cheap, below $5, still on ebay) but, you will have to drop a wad to buy issue#114(Godzilla issue) Not that rare but, collected by many groups of collectors)... After that the larger bucks are needed once you go below #100 in true NM. But most are pretty accesable until you get into issue#35(NM) and below #30.

FM's have alot going for them, they have movie covers and bring in an entire new batch of collectors with amazingly deep pockets(most from the film Industry I've noticed). I kinda wish CGC wasn't gradeing them yet, cause I wanted to dig a few more up before the prices jumped.

Collecting Warren titles is a great way to spend your cash if you are burned out on the whole Bronze age/Silver age key issue frenzy. You never really know what is going to be hard to get until you go and find that sucker. So many of the most common issues seem like they would be so easy to find, become holy grails after you find out that no one kept them in nice shape. I highly recomend collecting them. Nothing beats a shiney Warren cover in true NM, well maybe a nice DC wrightson cover... maybe?

'happy collect'n

Chris

The warehouse issues are like the plague. If you can't find shiney NM copies of FM #31-#34,#38-#80 then you are blind, deaf and dumb. I don't even want to know how many issues of Eerie and Creepy are stacked in these warehouse finds. Hundreds upon hundreds of thousands at least.

I guess it's like the marvel warehouse finds, mostly late 60's through early 70's. But I'm sure it is larger than that even. If you get into collecting warrens remember all the early issues are hard to find in NM(excluding Creepy#1) and the last issues. stay with that and you will be a billionaire in a few years(just kidding... or am I... 27_laughing.gif)

'best

Chris

hey bronzejunkie, FM#38 is one of the toughest issues, with the curse of the demon cover (i got $375 for my true NM copy), and there are several numbers in that run which were NOT part of the warehouse finds...you are not trying to mislead people are you..... smirk.gif

No, not at all... I just didn't have the time to give a full run down. Thats a pretty decent price for a #38. Good on ya.(PM me if you have any more interesting issues) And yes there are a few others out of my list that are rarer than the rest. But above #30 you are talking about issues that are just a little harder to get compared to the wharehouse finds. #38 is pretty plentiful if you look for it on ebay even. Heck, in NM I bet even alot of the warehouse issues are going to fetch a good penny, as most of the warehouse find copies I've seen, seem dull with soft edges from laying in massive stacks for so long, with ink transfers on the back covers. But this is just what I've seen.

Issue#11 in true NM is another issue that is hard to get but isn't listed as such. But only in true NM, alot of these older issues #1-#30 had a problem with their spines splitting to the point of breaking the cover in two. To find a true Nm is getting harder as alot of so called VF copies even have mild splitting. Just a heads up to all who want to go down the path.

'best

Chris

I was joking of course..... i even previously listed a couple errors, the tough one is 51, not 52 for example. and yes, it is scarcity versus the warehouse copies. Those issues a great indicator to see how things would have been if the warehouse copies were not there. And yes, its all about the spine on the early ones, especially #11, 12 & 20. There are NO bargains to be had out there on early issues with unsplit spines. People in the know have been buying them for a long time now and keep doing so.

the real assss kickers value wise are the 235 a & b covers. The magazine was pretty much DOA at that point and copies are sickly scarce. I have sold 4 copies in the range of $38-$70 each. I am out now.... frown.gif #203 really still costs a bit now $35-$45 or so, 200, 205, 206, 207, 212, 217,219 all go for $15-$30 usually, which is pretty solid for '90's magazines. I haven't checked on the new issues too much in the last 8 months or so though since i think i am sold out of all of them, maybe things have changed? confused-smiley-013.gif