• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One way to stop scammers...

18 posts in this topic

There seems to be quite a few eBay scammers that are blatantly swiping pictures and item descriptions. Speedjunkies is doing a great job at bringing at least some of these scams to our attention, and for that he deserves a big round of kudos and thanks.

It has occured to me that the one way to at least hinder the scammers is to stop them from being able to "right click - save as" the picures and "copy - paste" the descripitons in auctions. While my descriptions have never been swiped, I have found a picture or two that have been "borrowed" because the seller did not want to make their own pictures.

To prevent this from happening you can add this code to the top of your html code templates:

283417-rcd.jpg

This will disable the right click function of people viewing your auciton listing. Therefore, they they will no longer be able to have the options: "properties", "save picture as", "copy", and "paste."

Also, you can change the line "Right clicking this page is not allowed" to read anything you would like. This way if someone does try to right click your page they can get whatever message you want them to get....

I hope this can help someone....

283417-rcd.jpg.9d3c7a1b6a1d44af8fb3655c6ce299f1.jpg

Well, it may stop some of them, but they could still just do a "Print screen" on their computer and then go into Photoshop and crop out the picture. But it would certainly cut down on the photo stealing, and good tip that I may use in the future!

There seems to be quite a few eBay scammers that are blatantly swiping pictures and item descriptions. Speedjunkies is doing a great job at bringing at least some of these scams to our attention, and for that he deserves a big round of kudos and thanks.

It has occured to me that the one way to at least hinder the scammers is to stop them from being able to "right click - save as" the picures and "copy - paste" the descripitons in auctions. While my descriptions have never been swiped, I have found a picture or two that have been "borrowed" because the seller did not want to make their own pictures.

To prevent this from happening you can add this code to the top of your html code templates:

283417-rcd.jpg

This will disable the right click function of people viewing your auciton listing. Therefore, they they will no longer be able to have the options: "properties", "save picture as", "copy", and "paste."

Also, you can change the line "Right clicking this page is not allowed" to read anything you would like. This way if someone does try to right click your page they can get whatever message you want them to get....

I hope this can help someone....

Also...you can highlight the pic with your mouse and then use File - Copy in Explorer and then paste it into a word document. Then...the pic can be saved seperately. This topic was posted in the Water Cooler ages ago and all the secrets around this were revealed! 893frustrated.gif

You should be able to copy and paste this code. I removed the "<" from the first two lines:

-script LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1">

!-- Begin

function stopthief(ie) { var warning = "Right clicking this page is not allowed.";

if (navigator.appName == 'Netscape' && ie.which == 3) {

alert(warning);

return false;

}

else

if (navigator.appName == 'Microsoft Internet Explorer' &&

event.button==2) {

alert(warning);

return false;

}

return true;

}

document.onmousedown = stopthief;

// End -->

Just be sure to add the "<" back in front of "-script" and "!-- Begin" if you use it.

I knew that there were a few ways around this (I think that control C is another way), but while reading a few of the recent posts regarding the FF scam I realized that many scammers are lazy. After all, they are copying the descriptions verbatum. So, maybe this will deter at least the really lazy ones.

smirk.gif

Is there a easy way to put a logo on the pic?

I've seen some big sellers have a small logo (store name) on the bottom or top of the pic.

This would be best to prevent stealing right because it would be so obvious?

Is there a easy way to put a logo on the pic?

I've seen some big sellers have a small logo (store name) on the bottom or top of the pic.

This would be best to prevent stealing right because it would be so obvious?

I believe you need to use photoshop or an equivalent program to do that! cool.gif

Other ways to still get a pic:

• Drag the picture to your URL address line. This will bring the picture up all by itself and allow you to do whatever you want with it since it isn't embedded in the page anymore
  • Drag the picture to your desktop. This also saves it.
  • Get it from your "temporary internet files" folder
  • View the page source, find the URL to the picture, type it into your address line, and download from there
  • Hit [Ctrl-A] to select everything on the page and paste it into Word

There are a few other ways, but that's a start. Unfortunately, pretty much anything you put on the Internet is open for copying.

I HATE RIGHT CLICK DISABLED AUCTIONS! I browse using "open new window" all the time AND i add auctions to Snipe by highlighting and right clicking to copy. And, of course, it doesn't do anything to protect images anyway if the person who wants to steal them has half a brain.

Here is something I did just for my own benefit,...I bought this book from Comiclink last year and wanted to keep an image on file without their logo since I now owned the book....I just cut out the store logo and cut and pasted the same blank area from another book,...can you tell the difference?.... wonderwoman193cgc94.jpg

ww193.jpg

J.D.

You can't stop the smart and hard working crooks.

But most crooks are crooks because they are lazy and/or dumb.

A logo would detour 80-90% of them who aren't bright enough to figure out how to get rid it.

juggle.gif