• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who Hated OMD, but loves BND in ASM?

153 posts in this topic

These numbers have to have Marvel rethinking the wisdom of OMD. The title is in freefall and even Secret Invasion isn't helping...

127,958 - Amazing Spider-Man #546

101,213 - Amazing Spider-Man #547

97,959 - Amazing Spider-Man #548

101,112 - Amazing Spider-Man #549

90,874 - Amazing Spider-Man #550

88,084 - Amazing Spider-Man #551

89,835 - Amazing Spider-Man #552

82,648 - Amazing Spider-Man #553

81,072 - Amazing Spider-Man #554

86,902 - Amazing Spider-Man #555

78,458 - Amazing Spider-Man #556

77,057 - Amazing Spider-Man #557

Jim

The numbers tell the tale. Its not so much that BND sucks its just not spectacular. ASM needed spectacular to keep fans from venting after OMD. They needed a Loeb/Lee style hit after OMD and Its simple fan frustration. BND is really not horrible, but its not great either. It doesnt make me go wow, or I cant wait till the next issue. I liked JMS's early stuff better. It didnt hook me in anyway and now I can sit on the sidelines and watch the train wreck.

75K in sales in not the worse ASM has been. I think it got down to low 50s and 60s around the end of the Vol 1 and the re-launch of Vol2. Somebody list the numbers to back me up.

Somebody figure out to bring back the Human Torch as well.

If you love Steve Ditko, be sure to pick up ASM 559 - 561. The guy drawing the book is phenomenal.

Seriously? Or is this some kind of joke? (shrug)

Not at all.

If you have to hype a book by comparing one of today's artists on ASM to Steve Ditko 30 years ago its really not a selling point trust me. Dont get me wrong Ditko was great in his time, but there is no market for his style of artwork today.

Your statement is not only arrogant, but ignorant as well.

If you love Steve Ditko, be sure to pick up ASM 559 - 561. The guy drawing the book is phenomenal.

Not at all.

If you have to hype a book by comparing one of today's artists on ASM to Steve Ditko 30 years ago its really not a selling point trust me. Dont get me wrong Ditko was great in his time, but there is no market for his style of artwork today.

If you are going to flame, at least explain why you think that way. I see nothing arrogant about the statement, and there is nothing really ignorant about saything there is no demand for his style of work in today's modern market. If so, Marvel would be paying the bucks to bring him back (if they could - he is retired and has always been kinda flaky).

Um, I don't need to explain a thing. It's pretty obvious when someone's just talking out of their .

First of all, he didn't exactly explain why comparing an artist today to Steve Ditko is not a valid selling point. He just said, "trust me". Second of all, no one hyped Marcos Martin's art to be a valid selling point, so his statement is baseless. My original statement was that "if you love Steve Ditko, be sure to pick up ASM 559 - 561. The guy drawing the book is phenomenal." Just because a guy draws a slender, narrow eyed version reminiscent of Steve's work, doesn't mean anyone is hyping the book or even marketing the book towards Ditko fans. It's just his style, and it looks pretty darn cool if you ask me.

To say there is no market for Ditko's style is ignorant. It's a blanket statement with no valid facts to back it up. If the statement's true, please explain to me why people on various message boards and news sites have been raving over Marcos' art in ASM. And Ditko would never come back to Marvel, retired or not. He has no need for money if you've done your homework on him. If he were to come back, I think it's pretty safe to assume sales would go through the roof - especially, if "marketed" as "The original co-creator of Spider-Man comes back for one more run".

Not at all.

I realized your pissed because I made that statement. I didnt mean for it to be take that way, but its true. Sales and love for a book are entirely two different things.(Trust me I have been there with Jurgens Thor run.) Unless you got every SA collector to come back and buy ASM, which they wont because they dont like moderns(Most not all) or the costs of them as well. Basing ASM sales or even love on art from 30-40 year art wont increase the sales or even build a good base again. Its just my opinion insult me if you like, but I think more will agree then disagree.

If that were true then every new Marvel modern book would have artwork that would look like Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko influenced. How many do you see out there? And yes Ditko will never come back he is a recluse who has only granted like 2 interviews I can even remember in the last 15 years and one was for Wizard like 10 years ago.(He was throwing darts at old sketches as backboard because he considered them imperfect. :o )

As example I like Sean Chen's artwork. It is reminscent of BWS because he worked him at Valiant. When he did all the X-men the End books no one raved about his work and sales didnt soar thru the roof. He came across as about the average penciller. Its all those books will be too.

Maybe your Ditko dude will revive slumping sales on ASM. Its happened before with cutting edge artists. Who knows its just an opinion.

I'm not pissed. I just thought it was arrogant to presume my stance on asm and its numbers. All I said was I liked the guy's artwork. He's not the second coming of Steve ditko. I'm just saying he's one Hellas of an artist. I don't expect sales to jump, but when I see something special I like to point it out. And the stuff Martin has done in asm has been pretty special.

If ditko came back maybe those elitist silver age collectors be wouldn't come back. But many high profile talent would die to work with him and that alone would be enough to drive up sales. Just ask neil gaiman. The guy jump at a chance to work with him.

There's just too many factors to consider before passing judgement on ditko's current marketability (sp)?

Let me just chime in here.

I hated One More Day....

I read the first couple issues of Brand New Day, and while I could stand it at first, it's becoming a chore to read. I dont know how much longer I can stay on board with this book for.

The only thing that's keeping me on is an interest in the anti-venom storyline with JR JR on art. But after that, I"m definately dropping the book.

I dropped ASM around #551 or so and am not regretting it at all. I gave it a chance and it was horrible. Worst storyline's that ASM has had in awhile. It's like they reverted Spidey back to his high school/college years and destroyed 35-40 years of character development. BTW, anyone know how they justified bringing Harry Osborn back in the process?

What I don't understand is that if writers thought MJ was such a problem to write around why didn't they just have them divorce? Also, it's just time for Aunt May to drop dead. She should have stayed dead at issue 400.

I dropped ASM around #551 or so and am not regretting it at all. I gave it a chance and it was horrible. Worst storyline's that ASM has had in awhile. It's like they reverted Spidey back to his high school/college years and destroyed 35-40 years of character development. BTW, anyone know how they justified bringing Harry Osborn back in the process?

What I don't understand is that if writers thought MJ was such a problem to write around why didn't they just have them divorce? Also, it's just time for Aunt May to drop dead. She should have stayed dead at issue 400.

You mention it has that feeling of spidey being back in high school and from the ultimate spider mans he is in high school too. Sounds like they running out of ideas.

You mention it has that feeling of spidey being back in high school and from the ultimate spider mans he is in high school too. Sounds like they running out of ideas.

Yeah, I thought that we were past the stories of him having to sell pictures to afford to make webbing.

Ditko would never do another spider-man book. He got ripped on his cut, and it is a very sore topic. To say hell would freeze over first is an understatement. Im pretty sure he hates Stan Lee and Marvel.

It really doesn't matter anyway. Ditko's Spidey has always sucked when compared to other artists such as John Romita.

Ditko would never do another spider-man book. He got ripped on his cut, and it is a very sore topic. To say hell would freeze over first is an understatement. Im pretty sure he hates Stan Lee and Marvel.

It really doesn't matter anyway. Ditko's Spidey has always sucked when compared to other artists such as John Romita.

Blasphemer!!!!! :o

Trouble maker! (tsk)

Trouble maker! (tsk)

Moi?

:o

Um, I don't need to explain a thing. It's pretty obvious when someone's just talking out of their .

First of all, he didn't exactly explain why comparing an artist today to Steve Ditko is not a valid selling point. He just said, "trust me". Second of all, no one hyped Marcos Martin's art to be a valid selling point, so his statement is baseless. My original statement was that "if you love Steve Ditko, be sure to pick up ASM 559 - 561. The guy drawing the book is phenomenal." Just because a guy draws a slender, narrow eyed version reminiscent of Steve's work, doesn't mean anyone is hyping the book or even marketing the book towards Ditko fans. It's just his style, and it looks pretty darn cool if you ask me.

To say there is no market for Ditko's style is ignorant. It's a blanket statement with no valid facts to back it up. If the statement's true, please explain to me why people on various message boards and news sites have been raving over Marcos' art in ASM. And Ditko would never come back to Marvel, retired or not. He has no need for money if you've done your homework on him. If he were to come back, I think it's pretty safe to assume sales would go through the roof - especially, if "marketed" as "The original co-creator of Spider-Man comes back for one more run".

lol Well, I'm glad you explained your stance anyway :insane:

I have to stand with Doc Watson on this one: Ditko could come back and I really wouldn't care. Romita's Spidey is the defining Spidey. Ditko should get the credit he deserves for coming up with the visuals, but his work here (and elsewhere) really isn't much better than Don Heck's stuff from that time. :sumo: