• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #55?

34 posts in this topic

Since Ultron was the Crimson cowl,I would say his first appearence was in 52,if thats where the Cowl first appeared. If he had changed from the Cowl into Ultron, then it would be 55, but since he ws Ultron pretending to be the Cowl, I have to go with the Cowls first appearence which I think was 52.He has been involved in so many flashbacks and retellings that my head spins trying to remember them all. Strange how he and Hank Pym are so closely linked and each go thru more changes than any cliche you can come up with.

I believe Ultron's 1st appearance is on the last page of #54. Crimson Cowl is unmasked and shown as an unnamed robot which is Ultron. Then another Cowl appears & removes his mask & shows himself as Jarvis. #55 sorts the whole think out, proving the real Crimson Cowl was indeed the robot, Ultron 5. Probably would be #54: cameo, #55: 1st appearance.

IProbably would be #54: cameo, #55: 1st appearance.

That's exactly how I see it was well, especially as the Crimson Cowl in the scenes was likely Jarvis hypnotized by Ultron. Kind of like those Doombots in FF.

IMO, Avengers 55 is a very undervalued book for that very reason.

IProbably would be #54: cameo, #55: 1st appearance.

That's exactly how I see it was well, especially as the Crimson Cowl in the scenes was likely Jarvis hypnotized by Ultron. Kind of like those Doombots in FF.

IMO, Avengers 55 is a very undervalued book for that very reason.

Outside of 1,4,93,and 100 you'd be hard-pressed to name any Avengers books that aren't undervalued,IMO.

Outside of 1,4,93,and 100 you'd be hard-pressed to name any Avengers books that aren't undervalued,IMO.

Definitely, and I've always thought Avengers 8 (first Kang) is a real strange one, as he's The Man as I see the Avenger's main villains. And compare its price to others like Doc Doom, Green Goblin, Kingpin, etc.

And if it ain't Kang, the Ultron would get the vote....

I should, but I don't remember the issue-8,10,maybe even 9- but there is one issue that has a pinup that seems to be missing from most copies.It took awhile before I found a real sharp one with the pinup intact.I'm wondering how many incomplete copies are unknowingly sitting in collections.I was really surprised when I checked the CGC census because I thought there would be a lot of green labels.

I completely agree with the idea that early Avengers (and maybe all Avengers) are slightly undervalued. Maybe it's because the group changed so often that fans didn't connect with them the way they did with FF, but I've always loved their weird stories and different line-ups.

As someone who's trying to land almost all the 1-20 issues in high grade (plus some other great covers like #23 - check that out on the Marvel Comics Silver Age Cover Index!), I can tell you it is no easy task. Even crappy 9.4's for issue #3 go for many thousands of dollars. Right now I need 2-4, 8 (1st Kang is indeed a minor key in my own eyes), 10-12, and 19. If anyone has these in 9.4 and is looking to sell, send me a PM.

Meanwhile, let's consider these Avengers villains for a moment. Outside of Kang/Immortus and Ultron-5 (and originally the Vision), are there ANY villains worth mentioning? Squadron Sinister is cool and all, but come on... grin.gif

Dan

I always liked the Swordsman/Power Man duo but will conceed that most orginal villans were fairly weak.Masters of Evil were pretty nasty, esp. the later incarnations in the 270s.

I always thought Kang was underpriced because Marvel kept dropping hints that he was a future version of Dr. Doom or something.

there is one issue that has a pinup that seems to be missing from most copies.

That could very well be AVENGERS #10 or #11. #10 had a Cap pin-up and #11 had a KANG. I've found many of these issues, over the years, to be missing these pin-up pages. For more info on the MARVEL MASTERWORK PIN-UPS, see my latest article on this subject in the CGC newsletter. It lists most of the comics that had these pin-up pages. Good info to have when looking to find these great old silver MARVELS. Don't be surprised again when ya find a comic missing a page.

I definetly think that the Avengers series as a whole is a flagship title, and is one of the most undervalued.

But in regards to #55 specifically, it's a very common issue, more than the surrounding issue. A very easy find in 9.4/9.6.

I definetly think that the Avengers series as a whole is a flagship title, and is one of the most undervalued.

But in regards to #55 specifically, it's a very common issue, more than the surrounding issue. A very easy find in 9.4/9.6.

If that's the case then are there anyone out there who has a copy of AVENGERS #55 at a CGC grade of 9.0 or higher. PM and price?? gossip.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif