• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Decade - month by month sampler - The 1960s

592 posts in this topic

I ve seen all these SUperhero covers before, and as pretty as they are, I loved seeing those classic love covers! Such a moment frozen in time, so innocent, so lovelorn, so cruel!

my favorite? "He's... with her!" I can see why Lichtenstien saw these are archetypes of popular culture.

The average kid buying comic books in 1963 had a wondrous array of choices! Tasty looking DC covers promising great adventures within, AND these new sophisticated looking Marvels, with such a cool style of story telling.

The average kid might have thought that comic books were growing up as he was growing up. The changing styles meant that books were now looking like the 1960s books we love today and not just a continuation of the 1950s.

So who was buying what? There were possibly three main types of collector - DC or Marvel or both - the latter being unusual as both publishers tended to have a loyal following. Yes, there were other books around. I remember once thinking "I CAN'T buy a Gold Key..." when confronted with the lowest stock levels I'd ever seen.

Some people now take the view that the Marvel collector was a cooler, rock music listening type, popular and with a challenging attitude to authority. By contrast, a DC collector was likely a conservative, clean cut Boy Scout type who thought Lost In Space was better than Star Trek and who listened to Herman's Hermits!

Of course, neither of these stereotypes were really true. Your publisher of choice was most likely decided by the availability of books and circumstances of how you got started.

For me, I was DC from 7 to 13 and then a ferocious Marvel collector from 13 to 15.

As adult collectors we are all more diverse in our collecting. Why I feel nostalgic for books I never even saw as a kid I don't know, but then who can truly understand the scheming, obsessive, tortured mind of the adult collector?