• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Decade - month by month sampler - The 1960s

592 posts in this topic

It's been ages since I started a new thread, so...

Welcome one and all to the DC decade (1960s) sampler!

Please contribute - or I shall have to complete it myself!

The idea? To sample DC books over a whole decade.

RULES - no doubt soon to be ignored!

1. All books posted must be DC, raw or encased.

2. Any book posted must have been published either

- the SAME month as the last posted scan

-up to SIX MONTHS EARLIER than the last posted scan

- ONE MONTH LATER than the latest date so far.

This will give everyone a chance to keep posting around the gereral timeline presently at, but the trend hopefully will be a forwards move through the decade.

Lets hope we will see a variety of books, not just superhero like what I have got (touch of Ernie Wise there!).

Well, I'll get it started with early 1960.

So, at this stage any months Jan 1960 to May 1960 (one month later than last scan) are OK, but when we get to August 1960, then Jan 1960 will be too far back by the six month threshold. This way the trend should be forwards...

I'll stop for now and see if this thread takes off or not.

steelcity,

what a refreshing idea. Monstro asked me if I could contribute. Here's a few others from January 1960. I have more but will have to wait until this evening. I pulled some Febs and March also. Just can't scan them all this morning. So hold up on August lol

Perhaps someone else may upload some Jan. 1960's before I can get to them. I hope so. This should be interesting.

Action Comics 260 - January 1960 (uugghhh gotta upgrade this one)

action260.jpg

Challengers of the Unknown 11 - January 1960

challengers11.jpg

The Flash 110 - January 1960 (first Kid Flash!)

flash110.jpg

House of Mystery 94 - January, 1960

hom94.jpg

Star Spangled War Stories 88 - January 1960 (the 5th Mademoiselle Marie)

ssws88.jpg

Here's a couple more for ya steelcity,

I stepped in for lunch and thought I'd dif around a bit. I have more from Jan 60.

Rudolph Red-Nosed Reindeer 1959-60 issue. This should technically qualify as a January 1969 issue. Ya'll think?

rudolph5960.jpg

Wonder Woman 111 - January 1960

wonderwoman111.jpg

I have a few more. Maybe someone else will get to them before I can. I know I do not have any of the other War books from Jan 1960. Pretty sure anyhow. I believe also All-Star Western #110 is a Jan, 1960. Not sure which Sugar & Spike may be the one. There should be a Jerry Lewis and Bob Hope also. I'm hurting on those issues. Fox & Crow?

I could probably narrow a list down as to most all of them and perhaps someone will have some to share.

Thanks for posting a few more. This thread might end up being a bit of a "white elephant" but if it survives the early 60s I'm sure lots more people will contribute.

Just read your initial post, seadevils, about the 5000 DCs you bought for $1 each back in 1982. That was certainly an incredible deal from today's point of view, but as a 20 year old in 1982 it must have been a massive expenditure for you.

Certainly in 1982 I couldn't have raised money like that, nor would I have had the nerve to spend it on comic books if I could.

You certainly made a wise investment. $5000 invested in 1982 would by now be worth around $23000 plus/minus $2000 (unless I've calculated it wrongly!), assuming it was put in a simple savings account, maybe swapped around a bit but not risked in any way. Your books should be worth much much more than that!