• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Decade - month by month sampler - The 1960s

592 posts in this topic

I usually wax on about how much I like a particular cover, but not this time.

This has to be the worst Silver Age Green Lantern cover! The redeeming feature (a little) is the magnetic lines of force around GL. I don't care for the color choices (green logo and red font on orange background), the layout (GL almost lost in the background, mundane objects in the foreground), the typeset title, the lack of storytelling (where is the Man Who Mastered Magnetism?), even the anatomy (Did Kane/Anderson really do this cover? What's wrong with GL's right leg?)

One loser in a field of winners isn't so bad though.

Jack

June 63:

2050604914_2f8efb1fb8_o.jpg

My only Metal Men:

475663247_d36bc9e6b7_b.jpg

Good one to have! Much nicer than my dishrag copy.

I really like this cover -- one of Andru/Esposito's best. The repeated motif of green missile men on bright yellow background, Metal Men facing defeat -- really nice job.

Jack

adv308.jpg

Several of the May-July 1963 (Atom, GL, Adventure, etc.) have ugly typeset lettering instead of DC's usual excellent hand-lettering on the covers. Does anyone know why? Was one of the letterers missing for a while?

Jack

bb50ad.jpg

I wish that DC had kept B&B as team-ups between anyone, not just Batman and a partner. I wasn't a big Batman fan compared to the other heroes, even the second fiddles. He couldn't even fly or do super-tricks, for cripes sake, and he had that corny TV show that made comic books look silly!

Jack

I usually wax on about how much I like a particular cover, but not this time.

This has to be the worst Silver Age Green Lantern cover! The redeeming feature (a little) is the magnetic lines of force around GL. I don't care for the color choices (green logo and red font on orange background), the layout (GL almost lost in the background, mundane objects in the foreground), the typeset title, the lack of storytelling (where is the Man Who Mastered Magnetism?), even the anatomy (Did Kane/Anderson really do this cover? What's wrong with GL's right leg?)

One loser in a field of winners isn't so bad though.

Jack

June 63:

2050604914_2f8efb1fb8_o.jpg

True, it's not the best cover in the world, but it is the first appearance of Dr. Polaris.