• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Bronze Age Review: Lois Lane 106 "I Am Curious (Black)!"

83 posts in this topic

This issue is great, I have the Oakland copy, and have always thought it was weird. Another great story from the same time frame is the two part World's Finest where Superman's body parts are harvested and sold to some underworld crime figures. If I remember right, they take his heart, his hand, his lungs, and his eyes. Very, very weird story.

I was just kidding. I'll finish it.

I just got another project last night, so I'm probably going to have to cut way back on any Crisis writing for a bit. But I'll make sure I finish the LL review and I'll try to resolve the Dr. Gloom thing and get the new characters into Crisis. I don't know how long it will take me to do the new project. It's a write-up for a new book. Not a full proposal, so it won't take too long, but they need an outline for the whole thing, so I have to do a lot of thinking about what I want to say. Here's the cool part: it's about superheroes (not a comic, a nonfiction book). I pitched an idea, and the publisher wants to know more. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to have to read some Marvel comics, though. Are there cheap reprints?

Marvel Essentials -be glad to send you the ones I have for research...same goes for my Cherry poptarts as well tongue.gif

Cool! I'll let you know if the project gets that far. It will be awhile, because I won't actually write the book until it is accepted for publishing. That would be quite a way down the road at this point, if it happens. But I have to know what I have access to in order to propose it. I'll probably incorporate comics, TV and movies, but it would seem odd for me to only include DC characters in the comic section.

Next question: who are the top 3 Marvel characters? With DC it's easy -- Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman. With Marvel it's Spider-Man, but I'm not sure of the others -- Hulk and X-Men maybe?

Oh, and it's superhero only, so Cherry will have to wait for a different book. Thanks anyway!

-- Joanna

I missed this note earlier -- was probably replying when it posted.

By the way, I have this issue and I loved reading it, but this breakdown just enhances it so much more. I never really saw the social commentary underneath it all...I couldn't get past the thought of how hot it would be for Lois to "cure her jungle fever"..

smile.gif

There are definite hints of that in the coming pages. Too bad DC didn't go all the way and have her kiss the guy. You can just imagine the thought balloon:

"Mmm, kissing him is nice, but... Am I longing for Superman's kiss because I love him and not Black Guy, or is it because of Black Guy's color? I may look black, but inside I'm still white. Do I love Superman because he's white? This hat is so heavy, it throws off my balance when kissing. Is that because I'm black? Do I kiss better or worse as a black woman? Does Black Guy love me for me or because I'm black? Does Superman even care that I'm black now? Does he care that I'm kissing Black Guy? Why am I kissing Black Guy? Because I wanted to see if blacks kiss diferently than whites or because I wanted to see if the rumors were true about the size of their... feet?"

-- Joanna

looking at my answer seems so bronze/modern-centric:

Golden Age Marvel: Cap America, Sub-Mariner, Human Torch

Silver Age: Spidey, Hulk, FF, X-men

Iron Man, Thor, DareDevil, Doc Strange, Nick Fury come into the picture a bit more but never break out of 2nd tierdom?

Bronze Age: get some weird stuff with Conan, Cage, Dazzler, but redeems itself with intros of the Punisher and Wolverine who fully dominate the early 80s, starting of our Modern age...

just my take on it...

With Marvel it's Spider-Man, but I'm not sure of the others -- Hulk and X-Men maybe?

You got it...Spidey, Wolverine (X-Men), Hulk -top three (sorry to all FF, Iron Man, Thor fans...)

confused.gif

Popular you mean?

Well based on the prices Silver-Age comics fetch on eBay I would say:

ASM

FF

Silver Surfer

X-men

Hulk (issues 1-6 are doing well since the movie hype)

Avengers/Thor/Iron-Man (3-way tie)

Cap. America/Daredevil/Dr. Strange/Nick Fury(Sgt. Fury too) (bottom tier)

Did I miss anyone? shy.gif

You'll pay a high % of guide as you go up the list on reader (G-VF) copies.

That's the best way to judge popularity right?

Popular you mean?

Most well-known to the general public.

I forgot about Capt. America. That would be a good one.

I'm looking for archtypal heroes. The kind who really stand for something, like Batman stands for justice and Wonder Woman stands for truth. I'm looking for 3 Marvel heroes that someone might want to emulate. Ultra-heroic. I think that works for Spider-Man and Captain Amerca (what I know of them). Would Wolverine fit? Hulk? Actually, Hulk might be interesting for the anger issues.

Silver Surfer = Innocence and/or Nobility

Hulk = Uncontrollable Anger

X-men = Prejudice

Captain America = Patriotism

Nick Fury = Spy Master

Are those themes you are looking for?

Most well known to the general public? Absolutely no question.

1) Spider-Man

2) Hulk

3) Captain America

I have to laugh when people put up the Silver Surfer. Pick 10 schmoes off the street. Ask them to name 10 comic book characters. I'll bet NONE of them says the Silver Surfer. They will say:

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America, Robin, Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny.

sorry, i'm depressed. [!@#%^&^] cubs.

I wasn't watching the game.

They lost?

Now that guy better move to another city... tongue.gif

How about Boston?

How'd they do?

I'm not a huge Baseball fan but I read the sport papers and will propably watch the World Series if Boston or the Cubs end up there.

You know... History and all... 893blahblah.gif