• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why did DC pick on the overweight?

33 posts in this topic

Editor Mort Weisinger, by all reports an nasty SOB who was apparently pretty portly himself.

The fat theme shows up in other DC books (at least one prominent Flash cover), but never as mean-spirited as in Unca Mort's Superman books.

Jack

Mort Weisinger

introduced the comicbook world to Jim Shooter. I wonder if there is a connection?

You're probably joking, but I'd say yes.

Apparently Mort was nothing but an overgrown Mean Little Kid. He got story ideas from children and published comic books for children. Kids (except for the fat ones) think that fat people are funny, because they haven't yet developed empathy.

Shooter's Legion of Super-Hero stories appealed to Mort so much because Shooter was just a child when he started submitting them (reportedly Mort didn't realize that he was only 14). Written for kids from the point of view of a kid -- tales of an exclusive club without adult supervision, rocket-shaped clubhouse, try-outs where prospective members were summarily rejected... no wonder Mort loved them!

Jack

(former fat kid)

See, I think Jim Shooter inherited all those Legion story points from the previous writers such as Edmond Hamilton.

I think the reason Weisinger sponsored Jim Shooter is Jim was a kid that Weisinger thought could be pushed around. Kind of like what Weisinger reportedly 'accomplished' with poor fan-turned-pro E. Nelson Bridwell.

Who knows whether Shooter's time working for Weisinger directly led to his later management style. hm

Shooter's Legion of Super-Hero stories appealed to Mort so much because Shooter was just a child when he started submitting them (reportedly Mort didn't realize that he was only 14). Written for kids from the point of view of a kid -- tales of an exclusive club without adult supervision, rocket-shaped clubhouse, try-outs where prospective members were summarily rejected... no wonder Mort loved them!

See, I think Jim Shooter inherited all those Legion story points from the previous writers such as Edmond Hamilton.

Very good point about the exclusive club, clubhouse, etc. Didn't Shooter pick up the frequency and severity of the try-outs? (I'm not a Legion history expert and could easily be wrong.)

I think the reason Weisinger sponsored Jim Shooter is Jim was a kid that Weisinger thought could be pushed around. Kind of like what Weisinger reportedly 'accomplished' with poor fan-turned-pro E. Nelson Bridwell.

Who knows whether Shooter's time working for Weisinger directly led to his later management style. hm

He certainly served as a role model.

Jack

Very good point about the exclusive club, clubhouse, etc. Didn't Shooter pick up the frequency and severity of the try-outs? (I'm not a Legion history expert and could easily be wrong.)

The first Shooter issue had that memorable cover (below) where the in-crowd is looking down on new members/applicants. But I don't recall Shooter using the tryout theme that much after that. In fact, I think he later introduced the idea of the Legion Academy, where you could get trained to be ready to join the Legion regulars. On the other hand, the Legion of Substitute Heroes came along years before Shooter, and was explicitly designed as the home for rejects from all those Legion tryouts. The super-heroic nerds to the Legion's cool kids. :(

52762-98_2_0346.jpg.ef2ed96912115b635373ae0f43e7e794.jpg

The first Shooter issue had that memorable cover (below) where the in-crowd is looking down on new members/applicants. But I don't recall Shooter using the tryout theme that much after that. In fact, I think he later introduced the idea of the Legion Academy, where you could get trained to be ready to join the Legion regulars. On the other hand, the Legion of Substitute Heroes came along years before Shooter, and was explicitly designed as the home for rejects from all those Legion tryouts. The super-heroic nerds to the Legion's cool kids. :(

You obviously know the Legion better than I do.

Legion of Substitute Heroes -- Night Girl with her beehive and "snug" black costume :luhv:

The perfect complement to Dream Girl, who actually came along a little later, right?

I really liked the second-stringers -- Heroes of Lallor too!

Jack

My best buddy is obese. He's also a diabetic because of that. When we first met over 30 years ago we each weighed about 175. I now weigh 178 and he weighs 280. Food is his life. He eats all the time. rich, fatty foods and he eats them constantly. He lives in Southern california and the world is his garbage can. He's may be my best pal, but he's a big, fat pig. He looks like the big fat Superman in one of the early post. He likes to tell me that I look gaunt...I guess whatever works. Food addiction, drug addiction.....it's pretty close.

My best buddy is obese. He lives in Southern california and the world is his garbage can. He's may be my best pal, but he's a big, fat pig. He looks like the big fat Superman in one of the early post.

With friends like these... I got a pal too who is pretty overweight, complains about all sorts of medical problems also. I tell him it all stems from his weight but like you said it is an addiction for him. Sad thing is he ll never move away from home because his parents own a catering company and there is unlimited food, hes a bit older then me also.

Anyway cool books, I know a lot of Marvel Zombies hate the DC Silver Books because of these exact type of covers/storylines but I find them really amusing.

The red head chick is a little corpulent. The lucky & popular clown is more than a little.

Image courtesy of MrBedrock's recent sales thread.

loislane126.jpg

:gossip:

That issue is supposed to be called the, "Girl-on-girl, Interracial, Lesbian, Fat Clown Three-way", issue.

Editor Mort Weisinger, by all reports an nasty SOB who was apparently pretty portly himself.

The characters in the Weisinger books were pretty shallow, especially the women. I remember reading one story where Lois Lane falls head over heels in love with a guy, and even gets engaged. But she breaks off the engagement when the guy loses his hair. I forget which issue it was, but it was probably in a mid sixties LOIS LANE book.