• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Life-Span of a CGC Archival Case

117 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone,

I was just curious if anybody out there would like to chime in and help me and the rest community on the topic of the life span of a CGC case.

I know its' supposed to be real sturty and archival safe, but I have heard many people saying you should replace by getting it reholdered every 7 years.

Some people I have talked to will only hold a book in a CGC case if they plan to sell the book and crack open the book if they want it for their own personal collection and put the book in a Mylar or Mylite and save the CGC label.

I am sure this topic has been brought before, but I haven't seen it talked about since I signed up, so I was wondering if we could get a discussion going on this.

Let my education begin.............. :popcorn:

Hey Everyone,

I was just curious if anybody out there would like to chime in and help me and the rest community on the topic of the life span of a CGC case.

A CGC case will last forever, just like most plastic.

I know its' supposed to be real sturty and archival safe, but I have heard many people saying you should replace by getting it reholdered every 7 years.

Anyone that says that is talking out of their @ss, ignore them.

CGC says that the micro chamber paper that they stuff inside your comic may only serve it's purpose (if it even has any) for 7 years. In order to insure that the paper continues to serve it's purpose (if it has any) then you need to get it changed every 7 years and the only way to do that involves changing the case as well.

Those are the "facts" as CGC would have you believe them.

In my opinion it's all just another way for CGC to separate a fool from his money.

Some people I have talked to will only hold a book in a CGC case if they plan to sell the book and crack open the book if they want it for their own personal collection and put the book in a Mylar or Mylite and save the CGC label.

I crack most books I plan on keeping, and don't care if a book is CGC graded or not, as long as it's accurately graded. I send higher dollar books that I plan on selling to CGC because I can make more $$$ when I sell it, no other reason.

I am sure this topic has been brought before,

More then you can imagine.

but I haven't seen it talked about since I signed up, so I was wondering if we could get a discussion going on this.

Ok.

The CGC case will last for thousands of years.

If you meant to ask how often the Microchamber paper will last for, then 5-100 years depending on the acidity level in your paper is the correct answer.

Its a hard question to answer as Microchamber paper absorbs acids & pollutants. The less pollution that the paper is exposed to, the longer it will last

Russ...

Hey Everyone,

A CGC case will last forever, just like most plastic.

Anyone that says that is talking out of their @ss, ignore them.

CGC says that the micro chamber paper that they stuff inside your comic may only serve it's purpose (if it even has any) for 7 years. In order to insure that the paper continues to serve it's purpose (if it has any) then you need to get it changed every 7 years and the only way to do that involves changing the case as well.

Those are the "facts" as CGC would have you believe them.

In my opinion it's all just another way for CGC to separate a fool from his money.

I crack most books I plan on keeping, and don't care if a book is CGC graded or not, as long as it's accurately graded. I send higher dollar books that I plan on selling to CGC because I can make more $$$ when I sell it, no other reason.

I am sure this topic has been brought before,

More then you can imagine.

but I haven't seen it talked about since I signed up, so I was wondering if we could get a discussion going on this.

Ok.

What about he plastic case (not the CGC Holder Case) that the comic is heat sealed in?

How safe/archival is that?

also I Have seen where the book can actually slide around in the sealed plastic can it move to the point where it could bend/dull the corners?

Now you are changing you questions from what you originally asked. But thats OK.

The plastic inner will last for 1000's of years if it is not exposed to the elements.

Not sure about its archival properties. It would be no worse than if you use poly bags and may be as good as mylar.

Yes some, not all books can suffer from SCS.

Russ...

What about he plastic case (not the CGC Holder Case) that the comic is heat sealed in?

It's Mylar. Google it for full technical specs.

also I Have seen where the book can actually slide around in the sealed plastic can it move to the point where it could bend/dull the corners?

Affectionately refered to as SCS -- Shaken Comic Syndrome. It used to happen a lot but CGC has made great strides in preventing it by redesigning and enhancing their inner well. At one time I received 7 out of 10 books with SCS just by having them mailed to me from CGC... some bad some just a tiny bit. In the past 2 years, since they have made things better, I have not received any with SCS.

Affectionately refered to as SCS -- Shaken Comic Syndrome. It used to happen a lot but CGC has made great strides in preventing it by redesigning and enhancing their inner well. At one time I received 7 out of 10 books with SCS just by having them mailed to me from CGC... some bad some just a tiny bit. In the past 2 years, since they have made things better, I have not received any with SCS.

How about staple tears?

It'll last forever.

CGC claims that it's "very" safe. As with all things, time will tell. Probably as good as anything else currently on the market.

Toss a CGC case around enough and any book will be damaged. Although some are more prone to it then others.

I just wanted to add something to this. If you do have a book that you can visually see moving around in the slab, I would strongly recommend that you get it reholdered.

It'll last forever.

CGC claims that it's "very" safe. As with all things, time will tell. Probably as good as anything else currently on the market.

Toss a CGC case around enough and any book will be damaged. Although some are more prone to it then others.

You have no time to be posting here.

The world still has millions of computers with messy cables to be tidied up.

:hi:

How about staple tears?

I haven't had any but that doesn't mean they don't happen. I would bet a heavy golden age book would have a chance of it if thrown around.

I'm referring to books that CGC now uses the tapered inner well on....

It'll last forever.

You have no time to be posting here.

The world still has millions of computers with messy cables to be tidied up.

I don't work after 4:00 on Friday...............or any day that ends in "y"...... :grin:

I have 2 CGC cases, from different sources, that are warped. Has anyone else seen this? Or has it been discussed before? Thanks.

I've had a couple that bowed from top to bottom. This actually caused a spine break on the book. :insane:

Isolated incident. :sumo:

I have 2 CGC cases, from different sources, that are warped. Has anyone else seen this? Or has it been discussed before? Thanks.

I've had a couple that bowed from top to bottom. This actually caused a spine break on the book. :insane:

Isolated incident. :sumo:

Could be..... :angel: