• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

?? ACTION 1 CGC 9.2 TURNED DOWN FOR $$2 MILLION ??!!!

24 posts in this topic

theres an auction up on ebay for a cgc 9.0 restored action 1 atm

sorry, dont know how to post the link!

anyway the seller states an action1 nm- was turned down for $2 million. is it the cgc 9.2 hes referring to?

can anyone verify this news?? this must be the mile high action 1 right??

anyway the seller states an action1 nm- was turned down for $2 million. is it the cgc 9.2 hes referring to?

Well, since this is a 9.0, do you think he'd turn down $1 million? What's the point of talking about a 9.2 if he doesn't have one. And was the 9.2 restored?

The Edgar Church Action 1 isn't CGC graded. According the Steve F. from Metropolis, on these very boards, if the book were in a CGC holder it would be a 9.2.

The Edgar Church Superman 1, bought second hand, is VF 8.0 and currently the highest graded book in the census. A fact which was under some dispute on these boards a little while ago. I'm sticking with this version personally, since any other has someone I've known since I was fifteen, and who has no reason to try to impress me, lying to my face. Others may disagree.

Of course, I have no knowledge of what actually transpired, but the parts do match up in terms of that two million dollar offer being plausible. JP's got the money to make that offer and the current owner has enough $$ of his own and loves comics enough that he can refuse it.

Well, since this is a 9.0, do you think he'd turn down $1 million? What's the point of talking about a 9.2 if he doesn't have one. And was the 9.2 restored?

It's unrestored as far as anything beyond rumor goes. The 9.0 Extensive (p) book he's selling, sold at heritage earlier this year for $18,000. So, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't turn down $1,000,000... 27_laughing.gif

If I remember the rumor correctly. Jay contacted Dave (the current owner) with an offer of 2 million. The owner refused. Jay then made an offer of around 3 million. Dave said no. Then I believe Dave said he would take 4 million. Jay said no.

If I remember the rumor correctly. Jay contacted Dave (the current owner) with an offer of 2 million. The owner refused. Jay then made an offer of around 3 million. Dave said no. Then I believe Dave said he would take 4 million. Jay said no.

My candidate for understatement of the year:

That's a lot of money!

Thing is, from Dave's perspective, I can see refusing it. He really doesn't need the money (although that's a lot of money!) and what's he going to replace that book with? Nothing. Even with the rest of his collection (including his probably perfect 'Tec 27) without that Action 1, he might as well pack up the rest of the books and ship them down to Texas and Sarasota. If there was EVER a centerpiece book that Church Action 1 is it. Without it, he'd still have the most insane collection out there, but it just wouldn't be the same...

Holy shnikies!!! 893whatthe.gif

But the real question is, would Dave have compensated Chuck for a portion of the difference between what Chuck sold it for and what Jay paid for it!?!? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

You're saying the 9.0 Restored book on Ebay now sold for $18,000 on Heritage this year? Right now the book is up to $41,000 without reserve being met. confused.gif

Don't ask me what's up! confused.gif Maybe, the seller has dreams of glory and thinks that the sort of people who buy Superman #1s don't know about Heritage?

It sold at San Diego. You might've seen the book in person.

A $20,000 flip in 3 months??? Who says there's not money to be made investing in comic books, WOW!! 893whatthe.gif

(reserve not met)

Regardless, the book sold for $18k in July, and has now been bid up to over $40k. Wonder if the ebay seller is the person who bought the book from Heritage, or if the book's already been flipped once (or more)???