• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Pedigree?

191 posts in this topic

I don't actively collect Peds , but there are a couple I would love to one just one book from due to the history/ story behind them the one that strikes me the most is the San Francisco Ped. I would love to own any book from that Ped, alas they all seem out of my price range.

Flaming_Telepath usually has some Mildenhalls for sale. And I've seen some Don Rosa's crop up in the Sales Forum.

Just as athletes compete trying to outdo themselves and their fellow competitors, some collectors find different means to set their collection apart from others.

I think I just puked a bit. :sick:

Seriously folks, get a grip. Although I like collecting comics, it's idiotic stuff like this that makes me want go on a murderous rage on as many nerds as I can find.

C'mon now, it's just words. Try decaf but if that does not work are you taking requests on your rampage? :wishluck:

Uh oh, another believer in equating funny book collectors upping the registry with athletes trying to break each other's records.

Hilarious.

What's next, the Comic Book Olympics?

Just as athletes compete trying to outdo themselves and their fellow competitors, some collectors find different means to set their collection apart from others.

Seriously folks, get a grip. Although I like collecting comics, it's idiotic stuff like this that makes me want go on a murderous rage on as many nerds as I can find.

C'mon now, it's just words. Try decaf but if that does not work are you taking requests on your rampage? :wishluck:

Uh oh, another believer in equating funny book collectors upping the registry with athletes trying to break each other's records.

Hilarious.

Would we have to compete naked? :eek:

:gossip: (I was in the service not too long ago, coach wrestling, and still consider myself to be in decent shape) JC, you and I have never been at odds (frankly, I often agree with some of your complaints about moderns). My point is to make the comparison to competitiveness that occurs with collectors by likening how athletes will drive themselves to new levels to outdo one another which I can attest to. Just trying to explain why some people place a value on pedigrees. The analogy works even if it's not one that one might initially make. :)

Can we put a hold on the murderous rage tonight? :foryou:

Hilarious.

Would we have to compete naked? :eek:

I sincerely hope not.

Hilarious.

Be careful, one more strike and you get banned forever. Is arguing about pedigrees really worth the risk? hm

Why does a pedigree even matter? Who cares if a 9.6 book has a pedigree or not? The origin of a book shouldn't influence it's value. Who cares if a book was once owned by Mile High or Nick Cage? These factors are vagueries used to inflate the price of the book that should have no bearance on it's value. At VERY best, a Pedigree is another bullet point in an auction, adding some merit to the authenticity of a book. It does provides a buyer with reassurance but does NOT increase the overal sigificance of a book. ...so why pay more for peace of mind?

This subject really irks me!!

Seriously, maybe you might want to do some research before you start a thread that is just a glaring example of your own ignorance.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. I made a mistake. I mistook the names of collections for actual pedigrees. I don't profess to be an expert in the subject, hence, my starting this thread. Please add constructive criticism and leave the overt expressions of your arrogance to yourself. Clear out boys, we have an alpha-male in our presence.

Everyone else, thank you for providing insights into this subject.

Arrogance? Moi? Lawdy, you must have me mistaken for someone else. Perhaps someone making a definitive declaration of opinion regarding a subject they clearly know little about.

For the record, and obvious to anyone with a modicum of knowledge about the subject at hand, I wasn't talking about Nick Cage. I apologise for including his name in my bolding, above.

Don't get defensive; ignorance isn't indicative of anything other than a lack of knowledge. It's a fixable condition. It's not as though I said you were stupid.

Learn what a pedigree is and why the market values them before you come to a board filled with experts crying about why Pedigrees shouldn't affect a book's value.

For instance, not a single person is buying Edgar Church books because they were "owned by Mile High." Let that right there be your first lesson.

Alpha-male... lol

:gossip: (I was in the service not too long ago, coach wrestling, and still consider myself to be in decent shape)

You can't see it, but your physical threats have me shivering in fear of your awesome comic book might. lol

:gossip: (I was in the service not too long ago, coach wrestling, and still consider myself to be in decent shape)

You can't see it, but your physical threats have me shivering in fear of your awesome comic book might. lol

Oh for the love of God, just give it a rest. Does every thread you enter have to be a measuring contest? Just let people collect what the want, how they want

Hilarious.

Ease up chief. It was just an attempt at humor. :foryou:

WTF? So if I tell someone I played high school football that means I threatened them physically? :roflmao:

Whaaa? JC, c'mon man. You know I wasn't threatening you-- my point was that I come from a place where I understand the competitive mindset of an athlete. I was in no way threatening you. Besides, by your own admission, you're a big dude well over 6'. I might be in decent shape, but I'm also smart enough to know not to pick fights with big dudes! :)

Again, :foryou: All good fun here.

Mac can afford to get a strike. You can't :sumo:

Whether I take part in these forums on not, will have not have any effect on my well-being, nor should it have with anyone.

I honestly just came back to blow some money at the VCC. (shrug)

Whaaa? JC, c'mon man. You know I wasn't threatening you-- my point was that I come from a place where I understand the competitive mindset of an athlete.

I know, but just imagine if I posted that same comment, STRIKE!! lol

WTF? So if I tell someone I played high school football that means I threatened them physically? :roflmao:

Yeah, football = military service + wrestling background. :screwy:

And in case you didn't figure it out, that was just me parodying how some trolls on here play my every comment. I thought it was pretty obvious, but then again...