• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis and their grading

82 posts in this topic

Has anyone here ever bought something from Metroplis and had it come back from CGC higher than what they said it was? My experience so far is that they are almost a full point off on the negative side. I know most of you here are dealers who sell for a living, but I would like to know experiences people have had with Metropolis or Superworld (which is even more far off)

Hi. Yes, I don't need to be a member here for any amount of time to say what I feel. I'm not insulting anyone. Thanks for answering. Now, let me tell you that I have developed a report card on the various dealers that I buy from. What they stated the grade was and what it wound up being after coming back from CGC. When I get the comic from the dealer, I grade it myself, and my grading is just like CGC. Unfortunately, the dealers are not on the same page. What I really don't like is that.. when CGC first started, and I was one of the first to try out their new service, you could buy raw books for a normal price. Meaning... Overstreet. Now, the dealers price the comics AS IF they were already CGC graded, but the reality is that when you get them back from CGC they are a full grade lower, so now the dealers are really getting over. Which is why I wondered if any of you have had success with someone who is upstanding and trustworthy in their grading.

Has anyone here ever bought something from Metroplis and had it come back from CGC higher than what they said it was? My experience so far is that they are almost a full point off on the negative side. I know most of you here are dealers who sell for a living, but I would like to know experiences people have had with Metropolis or Superworld (which is even more far off)

OK I'll play. I never buy raw books. I can't do a restoration check and I don't trust my grading ability. From what I've read on this site only a handful of dealers consistantly sell raw books and have a reputation for very tight grading. I can't specifically comment on the dealers you've mentioned since I have never bought anything but slabbed books from them. Raw book sellers aren't committing to selling CGC graded books. THey are selling their own grading service. I have no interest in playing Russian Roulette. I wish to buy CGC grading and the only way I can get what I pay for is to buy the slabbed copy. I rarely get a bargain nor a disappointing result.

Thanks, jkrk. I agree with you totally and what I don't like is.. if I go to the convention and buy a raw comic.. I am surely taking a chance cause I can't go back on the guy and ask for a refund (if it's restored) I suppose I really want to find a company I can trust. I lost interest in going to the conventions because you can't find "deals" anymore ... if the dealer thought it was decent he would have already sent it in for grading.

Thanks, jkrk. I agree with you totally and what I don't like is.. if I go to the convention and buy a raw comic.. I am surely taking a chance cause I can't go back on the guy and ask for a refund (if it's restored) I suppose I really want to find a company I can trust. I lost interest in going to the conventions because you can't find "deals" anymore ... if the dealer thought it was decent he would have already sent it in for grading.

To be kind to dealers: They might weight the defects on their book somewhat differently than CGC would. Therefore, they have no desire to be penalized by the grade assigned by CGC and won't submit their book. If you are trying to buy CGC grades then you should:

A)learn to grade equal to CGC on only buy those raw copies that meet your criteria or

B)Only buy Slabs.

OK.. let's do this... is there anyone on here who is not a "dealer"? If so, where do you buy your raw books where you can depend on the grading and know the comic is not restored?

I like buying from Bob Storms. All the books I've sent in for grading came back the exact grade or higher. Except for one book that was sent in for signature series came back .5 lower but Stan Lee's grubby little hands could've caused some damage.

I hope I'm not boring anyone. Everyone collects different things in different ways. I originally came on here wondering if anyone sent something they bought from Metropolis to CGC and what the result was. I collect comics from when I was growing up.. so that is the mid-60's. I find Metropolis has a great selection. I have always had a lower grade come back then what I bought the book as. I was wondering if anyone had the magical experience (as if you won the lottery) where a book actually came back with a HIGHER grade than was represented.

and this is why CGC exists and will for the forseeable future in some form or another...

I've spent way too much dollars on subissions and then :wishluck: hoping CGC agrees with my "grading". And 85-95% I'm wrong and usually waaaaay off.

Those dollars spent I coulda got a nice HG slab Conan #1 or Hulk #180.

You guys are classic especially awe4one and his ad nauseum . But, hey, this is my first day. I'm not nauseated by you yet

Maybe not...but you've become old in less than a dozen posts...Congrats... (thumbs u

Jim