• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Before Mega Con pay my shop a visit (Gainesville Fl)

23 posts in this topic

Decided I am just too lazy to set up at Mega Con so......for all you high rollers driving south to attend Mega Con, please stop by and visit my shop. I am 5 minutes off I-75 at exit 390. Driving southbound this is the first exit for Gainesville 50,000+ comics in alpha numerical for a $1 plus 15,000 books from 2000 to current for $2 all in order. I also have a decent amount of silver and bronze books and am happy to wheel and deal. Just picked up several long boxes of high grade bronze age and have some golden age and even a few portfolios of original art (mostly bronze age stuff). Dealers welcome, this is not a fire sale but I am easy to deal with . Thanks, Chet

PS ask MCMiles for reference about me (the good old Sun Con days!)

All Star Sportscards and Comics

4310 NW 23rd Ave

Gainesville, FL 32606

(352) 359-3509

(thumbs u Yep, Chet is a real nice guy. His shop is one of the few in Florida worth stoppping at, especially if you collect BA, SA, or GA. He does have some nice art as well.

Most will be pleasently surprised at the better quality of the silver and bronze, The GA is nice as well - a lot of books that you don't see every day. Chet didn't collect junk back in the day. He was ahead of the curve and knows his sh_t.

Decided I am just too lazy to set up at Mega Con so......for all you high rollers driving south to attend Mega Con, please stop by and visit my shop. I am 5 minutes off I-75 at exit 390. Driving southbound this is the first exit for Gainesville 50,000+ comics in alpha numerical for a $1 plus 15,000 books from 2000 to current for $2 all in order. I also have a decent amount of silver and bronze books and am happy to wheel and deal. Just picked up several long boxes of high grade bronze age and have some golden age and even a few portfolios of original art (mostly bronze age stuff). Dealers welcome, this is not a fire sale but I am easy to deal with . Thanks, Chet

PS ask MCMiles for reference about me (the good old Sun Con days!)

All Star Sportscards and Comics

4310 NW 23rd Ave

Gainesville, FL 32606

(352) 359-3509

Was the Sun Con the one in G'ville that Zarillo of The Time Machine hosted?

No, The Sun Con was in Tampa. I don't remember the promoters name. It was in the same hotel as the current Tampa Convention. I think it was a Marriot back then though.

I used to go to one in Gainsville. Was it the one that was right near the campus? A Holiday Inn maybe? All I remember was having to take all of the stock up an elevator to set up.

No, The Sun Con was in Tampa. I don't remember the promoters name. It was in the same hotel as the current Tampa Convention. I think it was a Marriot back then though.

I used to go to one in Gainsville. Was it the one that was right near the campus? A Holiday Inn maybe? All I remember was having to take all of the stock up an elevator to set up.

Whoops, the Sun Con was in Tampa. I'm unfamiliar with that one, but the G'ville one, you're right, was at the Holiday Inn--and nice memory: the elevator blues were in play. I was born and raised in Gainesville and as a teenager (in the early to mid-'80s), I have fond memories of that convention. The iconic Burrito Brothers was across the street; it's still up and running though at a different locale now.

The place where the Burrito Bros was got torn down to turn into upscale student housing.

Sun Con was a fun 2-3 times a year con in Tampa back in the mid 1980's early 1990's. It was a couple that ran it (Lois?) it but another guy started up a show in the Tampa area (James of Mega Con fame) and they sort of ran each other into the ground by competing for the same bucks. Tim Gordon does a heck of a job with the current Tampa show and its well worth it to make a trip from an hour or two away.

While I'm pimping my stuff, if anyone is interested I picked up a large stack of 1960's DC Romance in pretty nice shape as well as a bunch of Archies/Disneys/and assorted kids comics from the 60's/70's most of which ended up in the $1 boxes.

One can view directions to my store as well as some older picks at gainesvillecomics.com

I all can say is that there was nothing better back in '89/'90 but to walk from my place in the student ghetto, just behind the laundry & 7-11 & close to where the some of the Mutley Chix lived, to Burrito Brothers for a giant, cheap meal. Then I'd go get drunk at the Hardback Cafe.

I all can say is that there was nothing better back in '89/'90 but to walk from my place in the student ghetto, just behind the laundry & 7-11 & close to where the some of the Mutley Chix lived, to Burrito Brothers for a giant, cheap meal. Then I'd go get drunk at the Hardback Cafe.

Ah, the student ghetto...I recall delivering many a pizza pie on these streets. I'm thinking you probably visited Babalou's Records or Hyde & Zeke's as well? I hadn't thought of the Hardback Cafe in quite some time.

On the other side of town, downtown, was the original Book Gallery where as a kid, in the '70s, I frequented it for its comic connection. Ah, the memories... :cloud9:

Babalou's & H/Z's, you got it!

Best G'ville band from the early 80's >>>> Roach Motel! Bob Fetz!

Central Florida PUNK ROCK!

http://www.prickmag.net/roachmotelfeature.html

I wasn't into that genre, but a good buddy of mine was in a G'ville-based punk band called Moral Sex. I think they even recorded something. Besides making music, they once made a bunch of bumper stickers with the name of their band on them, and, predictably, people scraped off the "M"...

Babalou's & H/Z's, you got it!

Best G'ville band from the early 80's >>>> Roach Motel! Bob Fetz!

Central Florida PUNK ROCK!

http://www.prickmag.net/roachmotelfeature.html

I wasn't into that genre, but a good buddy of mine was in a G'ville-based punk band called Moral Sex. I think they even recorded something. Besides making music, they once made a bunch of bumper stickers with the name of their band on them, and, predictably, people scraped off the "M"...

lol

In '89/'90 while in G'ville, I was into my girlfriend, Yvonne M. :luhv:

I remember just about everything that happened in G'vill 85-90 (my college years)...the good, the bad (and those that were there then, know the bad) and the ugly!

They got so bad for me in the summer of '88, that the University of Florida summarily dismissed me. :frown:

I remember just about everything that happened in G'vill 85-90 (my college years)...the good, the bad (and those that were there then, know the bad) and the ugly!

They got so bad for me in the summer of '88, that the University of Florida summarily dismissed me. :frown:

You should have gone to FSU. They kept kicking me out and letting me back in at least a half a dozen times, until somehow I ended up with an MA. :banana: