• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

30 cent sub variant?

3 posts in this topic

I was catologing my 30 cent collection tonigt and came across something I had not noticed or seen before. Doctor Strange 14 is a standard "Starburst" variant. The issues that I have seen, seemed to all have a yellow background with black price. I discovered in the group I have one that had an orange background with black price.

I have not seen another case to date where there was a different color starburst among particular single issues.

Anybody else seen any differences of this sort?

Hey Glenn - I just looked thru my scans. CAn you scan this and post on here? It may have to do with the cover inks and if it has faded. If you mean that you have 2 of the same issue with the same level of deep color in the rest of the cover and having on orange and one yellow, then I'd just attribute it to fading due to exposure to sunlight/fluorescent light?

I have issues that exhibit this fading:

ASM 155 (blue to white), 157 (orange to yellow)

AT 35 (deep blue to almost sky blue)

Conan 61 (orange to yellow)

Hulk 202 (orange to yellow, but the cover is off hue as well from indigo to blue)

Marvel Presents 5 (bright yellow to orange)

Power Man 31 (this one the most, from pink to white)

Thor 248 (blue to white)

Hey Glenn - I just looked thru my scans. CAn you scan this and post on here? It may have to do with the cover inks and if it has faded. If you mean that you have 2 of the same issue with the same level of deep color in the rest of the cover and having on orange and one yellow, then I'd just attribute it to fading due to exposure to sunlight/fluorescent light?

I have issues that exhibit this fading:

ASM 155 (blue to white), 157 (orange to yellow)

AT 35 (deep blue to almost sky blue)

Conan 61 (orange to yellow)

Hulk 202 (orange to yellow, but the cover is off hue as well from indigo to blue)

Marvel Presents 5 (bright yellow to orange)

Power Man 31 (this one the most, from pink to white)

Thor 248 (blue to white)

Hi Darth-

I have two scanners, both of which are worthless, at this point. However I did take a pretty close look at all three. All three copies are in at least F/VF. Fading does not seem to be at all present. As far as fading. Many of your examples make sense. However, it seems that fading from yellow to orange, does not make sense as the orange on most is much darker than the yellow. The Marvel Presents, struck me as being similar. As far as I can tell, and I am shopping for an industrial strength scanner to be able to scan stuff like this, there seem to be two different original colors.