• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huh?

36 posts in this topic

The comments certainly weren't written the same place everytime; I've seen them all over the title portion of books...

893frustrated.gif...So what's your explaination for the identical placement.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Don't be frustrated. It just so happens he did with these 2 particular copies. Please don't try to say the Church copies had the date stamp written in the same place on every copy...I mean, you're really not saying that, are you?

Don't be frustrated. It just so happens he did with these 2 particular copies. Please don't try to say the Church copies had the date stamp written in the same place on every copy...I mean, you're really not saying that, are you?

This thread is about two differant copies of the same book and my responses were within that context... wink.gif

This thread is about two differant copies of the same book and my responses were within that context...

Right. I understand that perfectly, but you have to acknowledge my initial reasoning behind why I thought it was the same copy..because of the arrival date being in exactly the same place. I had already stated that I was incorrect, and they were in fact 2 different books after looking at the right edge.

You seemed to be mocking my observation by saying "...So what's your explaination for the identical placement.... ", which I inferred as "all Church copies had the arrival date penciled in at the same exact spot", which simply isn't the case.

I clearly see your point, do you see mine?

893frustrated.gif...So what's your explaination for the identical placement.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Judging by the precise marking schemes he used, the uncanny completeness of the collection, and the extreme condition he kept his books in during a time period where funny books weren't valued by almost anybody, one explanation is that Church was probably at the minimum an extremely anal retentive personality, and at worst, he may have had an obsessive-compulsive disorder. Doesn't seem at all strange that he'd put marks in the same place when you look at how precise many other facets of the collection were.

If the Mint scan were big enough, you'd be able to do a handwriting comparison to see if they're the same...but that seems impossible with the low resolution.

That's an amazingly sharp catch, Mr. Glass.

I find it interesting that several other Church More Fun's from right around this time are somewhat unusual. #33 (lot 7000 in Heritage's March 2002 auction) is a second hand copy (marked "//"), and #29 (most recently offered by Heritage this March as lot 5953) and #37 (lot 2780 in Greg Manning's September 2001 auction) both have "D" and "Church" written on them (the only two copies in the entire run where I have seen this). Earlier Church copies either have no inscription (14, 15, 24) or other second hand markings (#16 - currently offered by ComicLinkExpress). The earliest "D" inscription I have seen is on #28. Timely might have a lot more details and thoughts on this(?).

Also, aside from the Lost Valley collection which was offered on eBay a few weeks ago, the only pedigree copies of More Funs below #50 to be offered at auction since 1990 are from the Church collection (the earliest Larson is #51). Early More Funs in high grade are so rare that it seems almost unthinkable that someone would have forged the arrival date.

Given all this, the best explanation I can think of is that Church started buying comics from the "D" store right around More Fun #28. This would explain why his name is written on some of the copies from the first few months. Perhaps he inadvertently got two copies of the same issue in the very beginning of his collecting career?

---

Correction: the Church More Fun #14 has no markings, not a "C" as I first wrote.

As can also be seen by the original Church list released by Chuck there are also some books near the end of Church's collecting career that have duplicate copies such as Detective 179,180,192 and Sensation 81. Interestingly there are not 2 copies listed of More Fun 39, although this not does not mean Church did not have 2 copies since many books were sold before Chuck released his list to the public.

These are the same books:

Take a look at Santa's sleeve and the number "3" on the bottom of the spine. They both appear to be the in the same place on both books.The sleeve hits the edge of the spine in the same place according to my eyes.

Remember that these books are different size pictures(jpgs) and they have different CGC holders. I think someone took the book out looking for a higher grade and the book developed a chip, so the lower grade was given.

If you really want to know ask Mark Haspell at CGC, he may tell you why the grade is less now?

They say that a book can receive a higher or lower grade upon certification, maybe that was the case.

So many of you slam CGC when a book goes UP a grade, now they get questioned when it goes DOWN.

Somedays you just can't win!

"How about them apples"

Since I have not seen this posted yet:

The More Fun #36 that is also offered in Heritage's auction as Universal

9.6 was previously offered by Greg Manning in June 2001 as 9.8 (SP),

purple label. The caption read "A small amount of color touch and cleaning

was done to the book". The new blue label does mention the color touch.

http://images.heritagecoin.com/images/hnai/75/808/808155032o.jpg

This is only the second CGC graded book I have seen go from purple to

blue.