• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huh?

36 posts in this topic

Am I missing something here. For some time and still today Jay Parrino has a CGC 9.6 Edgar Church (Mile High) More Fun #39:

Link to JP's book

However there is a 9.2 Edgar Church (Mile High) More Fun #39 on Heritage:

Link to Heritage Book

Is there two Mile High's? Did someone submit a faked Mile High? Or Did JP get burned that bad on a resubmit trying for a 9.8? If that's true is CGC 'THAT' inconsistent?

Note the "ding" in the 9.2's upper left. Maybe someone took it out, or it got damaged inside the holder. Who knows? I do see the Church penciling on the exact same spot on both issues, and to my knowledge Edgar only bought one copy of each book...

The 9.2 definitely has a color scrape at the top of the spine not on the 9.6. And the wrap does look different...blow up the Heritage scan - the top looks centered, whereas the 9.6 tilts down a bit on the left (you can see either the pages or a white strip of uncolored cover along the top edge).

He's right...

Most obvious place to see the difference is the snow accumulation in the top half of the window on the right edge. Look at the two scans side by side and you will see they are not the same book... Also, the diagonal line on the wall just above that window meets the window frame on the JP copy but stops short on the Heritage copy...

Since I really doubt they would miss trimming on a Mile High book, given the extra time spent on the restoration check, there's no doubt these are two different books.

Those are differant books according to the wrap.... wink.gif

You think so?...I don't see a difference in the wrap....show me where.

J.D.

I suppose I should have been more specific...The two dead giveaways are...

[*]The distance from the "M" in more to the spine edge is differant.

[*]The distance from the "1939" to the edge is differant.

You don't see a humongous red color flake missing near the top of the spine on the 9.2 that is not there on the 9.6!?!? foreheadslap.gif

I think he was suggesting that flake might be new... tongue.gifinsane.gif

I see it now,....I'm wrong...definitly different books

J.D.

I had to look a couple times, but the differences by the window put the nail in the coffin for me...

If you look closely at the original Mile High list there are a few duplicates copies listed on various issues. Considering the number of comics being purchased by Mr. Church this does not surprise me at all. Comics oftentimes would linger on the stands for more than a month period of time. Because of this I would find it incredible if there were not some duplicate copies considering the sheer size of the collection.

Post deleted by me...

I'm wrong, the "1939" does place differently on each copy, and those definitely are 2 different books...

Besides, who'd want to crack that open and read it anyway? I'll bet the stories are lousy...! sorry.gif

Look at the lines of the snow in the top of the window along the right edge, and the diagonal line on the wall just above it.

Either the book was trimmed, or these are not the same book...

You can also see a difference in the icicle right along the spine, but there is an outside chance the book could have laid differently in the well... The right edge is crystal clear. And I really doubt that CGC would miss trimming on a Mile High More Fun...

The writing is the same because it was written by the same guy.... makepoint.gif

Read my above post...

I do take issue with that comment though...go look at a batch of Mile High's of the same issue. The comments certainly weren't written the same place everytime; I've seen them all over the title portion of books... makepoint.gif