• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WonderCon Art Report and Dave Stevens Art Day!

4 posts in this topic

Another year, another WonderCon. I had pre-arranged to pick up this Dave Stevens Rocketeer piece before the show:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=356542&GSub=41852

Was very happy to get it and didn't anticipate getting anything else. Of course, I still ended up seeing lots of great stuff that tempted me. OA dealers who showed up were Bechara, Anthony Snyder, Albert Moy, Hans Kosenkranius, Pete Koch (sorry if I missed anyone!). Lots of eye-popping art along with eye-popping prices. Some highlights for me were the complete story to JIM 124 which got broken up. Also, a pair of nice WATCHMEN pages were sold for a new record amount. That record may soon be challenged by those 4 pages that showed up on Ebay a couple of months ago:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2038117&Board=48&page=2&fpart=all&gonew=1#UNREAD

The first page showed up as a consignment with one of the dealers. Asking price? $7-8K. For the first page alone. The other pages are available (although not at the show).

After deciding that my wallet needed a rest from big purchases, I decided to get a sketch as something fun from the show. I waited in Travis Charest's line for him to show up on Saturday for about 3 hours. It wasn't so bad in that I at least had friends to talk to. We were finally informed by Dave Williams at the next table that Travis would not be showing up. Strike one!

Having struck out with Travis, I tried my luck on Sunday morning with Tim Sale. Tim was doing 10 minute sketches (timed with an hourglass!) for $100. Waited a lot less longer this time (about 20 minutes) for him to show up. He told us all up front that he would not be sketching that day. Strike two!

I then hopped over to J. Scott Campbell's line. Waited only 10 minutes this time before his pseudo-agent told us he would not be taking any more names for his list. Strike three! And I was done.

I'm even more in awe now of you guys who are able to get sketch after sketch after sketch. Not just to have the patience but the luck! But I do get the adrenaline rush of the "score". See you guys in line at the next con :insane: