• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Savage Sword of Conan...

14 posts in this topic

I have a fairly complete run (only missing 30 or so common issues) and this title is the best bang for your comic buck as far as entertainment value goes. Luckily, I was able to pick up #1-20 or so from an original owner collection - he used to get the local drug store to put away a copy or two for him. Most of the books look like they were never read.

At the time I thought Barry Smith would be the king of all Conan illustrators...then along comes J. Buscema....His style was amazing in the way he could portray a gritty, grimicing and slashed Conan along with full-bodied buxom women seemed to be accentuated in the black & white medium of the Savage Sword Mags...

Yes...I was very passionate about this magazine and I wish that I never sold my first 10 issues of the run... crazy.gif

At the time I thought Barry Smith would be the king of all Conan illustrators...then along comes J. Buscema....His style was amazing in the way he could portray a gritty, grimicing and slashed Conan along with full-bodied buxom women seemed to be accentuated in the black & white medium of the Savage Sword Mags...

Yes...I was very passionate about this magazine and I wish that I never sold my first 10 issues of the run... crazy.gif

J. Buscema was THE man! he hated drawing superheors but LOVED it when he was drawing conan, BTW his surfers RULE too! laugh.gifacclaim.gif

Good call savagetales. I think some of the other Marvel/Curtis mags are undervalued as well. It will be interesting to see how many 9.4 or better copies are out there as I have found most mags will have some sort of shelf damage or bindery corners.

Yeah, I've also been on the hunt for the following Curtis/Marvel mags:

Tales of the Zombie

Dracula Lives

Vampire Tales

Haunt of Horror

Monsters Unleashed

A lot of very cool covers in these runs but tough to find in NM and above. 893frustrated.gif

I picked up almost complete runs of most of those titles from the same source as the Savage Swords, but sold a ton at a local con this spring. A lot of true NM books, but since they had not moved up too much in the guide and CGC was not taking mags I decided to part with them (but I did pick up some nice Bronze Age Neal Adams books with the cash wink.gif). Hopefully it was not a mistake!