• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Exchange Rate Drama?

12 posts in this topic

Recently, after paying for a comic in America via Paypal. I realized that I was getting ripped off. Not only is Paypal charging fees, but lowering the exchange rate so you pay more and pay out less.

Eg. USD > AUD 93c

Paypal: USD > AUD 85c

Any idea how I can complain. I dont like paying more everytime

Recently, after paying for a comic in America via Paypal. I realized that I was getting ripped off. Not only is Paypal charging fees, but lowering the exchange rate so you pay more and pay out less.

Eg. USD > AUD 93c

You cant.

Paypal Mentions in their terms of service somewhere they charge a different exchange rate than banks

Eg. USD > AUD 93c

You cant.

Paypal Mentions in their terms of service somewhere they charge a different exchange rate than banks

Plus, when does the bank or any currency place give you the open market exchange rate? They make $$ from the difference in the rate they give your or in some cases, charge you a service fee.

Yeah, its a fact of life.

They probably charge the same spread as what your bank/credit card company does but if you should also be able to choose letting the bank/credit card company apply their exchange rate on the transaction. It might save you money (shrug)

Yeah, its a fact of life.

They probably charge the same spread as what your bank/credit card company does but if you should also be able to choose letting the bank/credit card company apply their exchange rate on the transaction. It might save you money (shrug)

Yup, there's an option to choose to allow the rate that your credit card charges you. I know that cc companies usually charge a premium when the charge is out of the country.

Canadian dollar was worth 1.02US or so today. I transfered money in my paypal account to my bank account and my canadian dollar was only worth .97US upon exchange.

you can complain all you want, but the fact is I don't see any viable competition so if you want to use the service, you have to not dwell on the negatives so much I guess. What is the alternative? cheque?

Canadian dollar was worth 1.02US or so today. I transfered money in my paypal account to my bank account and my canadian dollar was only worth .97US upon exchange.

you can complain all you want, but the fact is I don't see any viable competition so if you want to use the service, you have to not dwell on the negatives so much I guess. What is the alternative? cheque?

Probably a money order, which will cost you money and the extra time to send it to the seller. Plus, it offers you no credit card charge back protections if you do that.

Hey Jo.

I just logged on to transfer some funds to the USA fro Australian dollars.

It up to 92 cents now. Only 2 cents below official rate.

It often takes paypal a day or so to adjust the rates after a big jump.

Have you paid already? If not do it now.

Russ...