• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,958 posts in this topic

Yeah, kind of lessens the symbolism a bit, dontcha think?
I'm sure the victims of 9/11 wouldn't mind having a tribute issue sketched to show a Spidey-Skrull. Dude. It's quadruple signed and sketched! What better way to remember? meh

I just called for an update on a value submission with the expectation that they would not be finished until late next week, but CGC has already graded them! (thumbs u

I was expecting most of the books to be 9.0 at best, but had some nice surprises in the mix. Here are the results, with my expected grade (in parentheses), and the sellers are noted if I can remember them. As you can see, the grading from fellow board members is very tight! :applause:

Batman #224 9.2 (9.0)

Batman #225 9.2 (9.0)

Batman #226 9.2 (9.0)

Batman #227 7.5 (7.5/8.0)

Batman #229 9.2 (9.0/9.2 - bought as 9.2 from Mike/drbanner (thumbs u )

Batman #230 9.2 (9.0)

Batman #235 9.4 (9.0 - thanks Mike/drbanner for the gorgeous VF/NM! :acclaim: )

Batman #239 9.0 (9.0/9.2 - another Mike/drbanner book (thumbs u )

Batman #243 9.2 (8.5/9.0 - this was VF or VF+ from Socal I believe :acclaim: )

Batman #244 9.0 (8.5)

Batman #244 9.0 (9.0)

Batman #244 9.4 (9.2 - bought raw from Mike/drbanner as NM- (thumbs u )

Batman #245 Qualified 9.0 (9.0 - bought raw from Mike/drbanner as VF/NM BUT SIGNED BY NEAL ADAMS)

Batman #251 Qualified 9.0 (9.0 - bought raw from Mike/drbanner as VF/NM BUT SIGNED BY NEAL ADAMS)

Batman #251 9.0 (9.0 - bought raw as 9.0 from Nick/flaming_telepath)

Batman #251 9.2 (9.2 - bought raw as 9.2 from Superworld Comics)

Brave & Bold #93 8.5 (8.0 - bought raw as 8.0 from Socal Comics)

Detective Comics #394 9.6 (9.2 - bought raw as 9.0 from Nick/flaming_telepath :acclaim:)

Detective Comics #395 9.0 (8.5 - bought raw as 8.5 from Nick/flaming_telepath :acclaim:)

Detective Comics #396 8.5 (9.0 - bought raw as 8.5 from Nick/flaming_telepath :o )

Detective Comics #397 9.2 (9.2 - bought raw as 8.5 from Nick/flaming_telepath :acclaim:)

Detective Comics #398 9.4 (9.0 - Phil Weiss auction win last June)

Detective comics #402 9.0 (7.5/8.0 tester that came back way better than

expected :devil:)

Detective Comics #404 8.5 (8.5/9.0 - Phil Weiss auction win last June)

Detective Comics #408 9.4 (9.2 - bought from Bob Storms as raw NM-)

Detective Comics #411 9.0 (9.0 - bought raw as 9.0 from a board member I can't remember right now)

Green Lantern #87 9.0 (8.5 - bought raw as 9.0 from Superworld)

Green Lantern #87 9.0 (9.0 - bought raw as 9.0 from Superworld)

Iron Man #53 9.4 (9.4 - Clink auction lot - sold the other HG copies for more than GPA 9.4 at a con in April)

The Spirit #1 9.4 (9.4)

Nice load of great books!!!! (worship)

Batman #251 9.0 (9.0 - bought raw as 9.0 from Nick/flaming_telepath)

Detective Comics #394 9.6 (9.2 - bought raw as 9.0 from Nick/flaming_telepath :acclaim:)

Detective Comics #395 9.0 (8.5 - bought raw as 8.5 from Nick/flaming_telepath :acclaim:)

Detective Comics #396 8.5 (9.0 - bought raw as 8.5 from Nick/flaming_telepath :o )

Detective Comics #397 9.2 (9.2 - bought raw as 8.5 from Nick/flaming_telepath :acclaim:)

doh! doh! doh!

Roy's right...I need to look into registering myself as a charity.

At least I should get some tax breaks. :cry:

I think when you take into consideration your upper-level pricing, time saved, no slabbing fees, no shipping back and forth to CGC, I think you come out just fine.

First of all, IMO there is no better way to pay respect to this issue than to get as great a sketch as possible on it. Then to get it signed in all gold by comic legends. So there.

Second of all in regards to a touchy subject matter. I live in NY, I lost people in my life because of this incident and the only people who it should be touchy with are people like me. So I dont care!

In regards to it being an 08 drawing on an 01 book with an 08 subject matter and not making any sense. Maybe there is some symbolism in there. What are skrulls and what do they do?...they shapeshift to confuse and mislead people. They are not what they seem to be. Maybe that is how I feel about this whole incident, so the drawing is even more symbolic than is beyond your comprehension.

First of all, IMO there is no better way to pay respect to this issue than to get as great a sketch as possible on it. Then to get it signed in all gold by comic legends. So there.

Second of all in regards to a touchy subject matter. I live in NY, I lost people in my life because of this incident and the only people who it should be touchy with are people like me. So I dont care!

In regards to it being an 08 drawing on an 01 book with an 08 subject matter and not making any sense. Maybe there is some symbolism in there. What are skrulls and what do they do?...they shapeshift to confuse and mislead people. They are not what they seem to be. Maybe that is how I feel about this whole incident, so the drawing is even more symbolic than is beyond your comprehension.

:golfclap:

I am from orginally Philly and I lost someone as well during 9-11, so I understand!

Edited by spiderman-on-tilt

I think when you take into consideration your upper-level pricing, time saved, no slabbing fees, no shipping back and forth to CGC, I think you come out just fine.

My WHAT???

See that 'Tec #294, the 9.6 one?

Sold as a 9.0 for $35 when Guide was $42.

The #396 and #397? Both sold for under Guide.

WTF you talking 'bout, Willis? :screwy:

Or maybe you're just justifying it to yourself and others. Or maybe you just think of it as a great black cover sketch book, I don't know. Maybe I'm too simple to understand the higher level thinking here.

As for this:

I'm not sure it's the issue that needs respect.

This is just weak.

My WHAT???

See that 'Tec #294, the 9.6 one?

Sold as a 9.0 for $35 when Guide was $42.

The #396 and #397? Both sold for under Guide.

WTF you talking 'bout, Willis? :screwy:

Let's look at this from a $$ perspective:

1) Cost to ship to CGC from UK = ~$60/30 books = $2/book

2) Grading cost for 30 under value fast track (which these qualified for and assuming you had others to submit) = $26.10 / book (with 10% discount)

3) Return shipping cost = ~$100/30 books = $3.33/book or lets say $4 rounded up (guessing on the high side due to increased weight and size of box)

4) Amount of time to pack books, fill in forms, receive box = 3 hours with beers x $30/hr wage = $90/30books = $3/book

Total additional cost per book = $35.10

Assuming Nick's cost is what I paid, here is what his total cost per book would be:

Detective Comics 394 VF/NM $35.00 + $35.10 = $70.10

Detective Comics 395 VF+ $85.00 + $35.10 = $120.10

Detective Comics 396 VF+ $28.00 + $35.10 = $63.10

Detective Comics 397 VF+ $50.00 + $35.10 = $85.10

Total in: $338.40

Here are the latest GPA recorded sales for these books in the grades I received:

Detective Comics #394 9.6 - $375 in April 2008

Detective Comics #395 9.0 - $251 in Jan 2008

Detective Comics #396 8.5 - $36.88 in Feb 2004 ( :o Nick you would have gotten hosed on this one lol )

Detective Comics #397 9.2 - last 9.0 sold for $107.50 in Oct 2005 (last 9.2 sold for $51 in Sep 2002)

Total estimated sales value: $770.38

Edited by kimik

Thats a weak comeback if your comeback is "that is just weak", while I am providing a fact.

I also don't understand what you mean by "I'm not sure it's the issue that needs respect" what does that mean?

126923187_o.jpg

I'd love you to share your thoughts on this :)

I vote we all stop telling Nick how his grading is and what CGC grades his books at.

We don't want him making any adjustments......he's doing just fine!! (thumbs u

You said the best way to pay respect to this issue was to get it signed and sketched. My point was the issue is not what deserves the respect of not getting sketched, it's what the black cover represents on that issue that deserves some respect.

I said it's a weak argument because you imply that only NY'ers personally impacted have any right to lay claim to 9/11. I'm pretty sure the rest of America considers it an attack against them and this country. Plenty of people, who don't live in NY or didn't have a personal connection to victims, would disagree with the idea that we don't have any right to upset by the desecration of that memory. Not that I would equate the book to desecration.

In fact, it's not high on my radar as it's only a funnybook and I felt like arguing a little. I was just joining in with sentiments expressed by others. I remember that book above and didn't like it either. I just didn't feel motivated enough to comment at the time.

Each to his own.