• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,955 posts in this topic

If the book is in a GLOD, then the Manufacturing Error is treated as a defect.

But why? They don't treat other manufacturing defects this way (other than MAYBE the "manufactured without a second staple"). How do you quantify this "defect" anyway?

No clue. I'm commenting on the results, not the method

How the heck does it get OW pages when the cover is pure white (shrug)

was wondering the same

Scan has been adjusted to markedly increase the contrast. Kinda like this:

Cap109sale-1.jpg

How the heck does it get OW pages when the cover is pure white (shrug)

Scanner contrast setting (shrug)

Nik, I've see WHITE outer covers with inner pages getting a c/ow designation. Interior newsprint can age while the cover inks do not.

(shrug)

Avengers10LR.jpg

Why was this given a qualified grade when I have seen other printer plate swaps given the standard blue label? How does this printer error effect the collectable value?

You mean like FF 110? Very good question. I'd've thought such an error (I've not seen one of those before, fwiw) would've been treated the same way. There are no structural problems to qualify the grade.

I assume it could go for more than a regular Avengers 10 as it is rare - but the market is sometimes skewed regarding error books like this. FF 110 "green" version usually goes for a large premium, especially in high grade, whereas other books with similar "defects" do not. Maybe it's because it's still aesthetically eye-catching, but that's just a guess.

Either way, great books - impressive how many have white pages. And that Cap 110 is the nicest (whitest) I've seen.

If the book is in a GLOD, then the Manufacturing Error is treated as a defect.

You could resub the book and request a Blue label, but expect the grade to come down sharply.

The FF 110 Error Version is notoriously tough to find in HG, and the slabbed copy - in a Blue label - in the current ComicLink Focused Auction is a fine minus. Since the defect of the switched plates didn't affect the overall grade, it got a blue label.

God, how I hate the whole concept of the Green label. How I hate it so

I wonder.

What if because the *printing defect* appears on a large portion of books like the FF #110 it becomes a collected variant while a less common defect simply makes the defect an annoyance...this could be the criteria to determining which label it goes into.

For example, isn't there a Captain America Comics #1 with a similar color defect that gets a blue label because it is also fairly well know and *common* and yet another Cap (can remember the issue # but Billy Parker owns it) got a GLOD because either

a) the defect was only prominant on a few copies or

b) it was not aesthetically pleasing.

Just a few random thoughts.

R.