• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week Back From CGC
46 46

17,958 posts in this topic

Well, I'm afraid I've joined the Dark Side. I got my first three CGC submissions back today. I joined their Collector's Society about a year-and-a-half ago, and when I saw that my certificate was about to expire I hurredly packaged up three books and shipped them to CGC. The results were mixed but I'm mostly happy with the grades. (None of the books have been pressed, by the way.)

Incredible Hulk #116 CGC 9.6 White Pages

I was very happy with this grade, I was actually hoping it would be a 9.4 to 9.6. The white pages designation was a bonus. I bought this book for $1 at my very first comic book convention in 1983.

hulk-116-cgc.jpg

Strange Tales #167 CGC 8.5 OW/W Pages

This one was a bit of a disappointment. It is a stunning book. I'm not sure why they dinged it. To my eye it looks just as nice as the Hulk 116. I might have to call for the grader's notes on this one, just out of curiosity. Maybe it was the tiny bit of red distributor's ink along the top edge?

strange-tales-167-cgc.jpg

Wyatt Earp #32 CGC 9.8 OW/W Pages

This one was a nice surprise. Tied with one other 9.8 as the highest graded copy! It's a somewhat scarce book to begin with, and pretty rare in high grade. I bought it at a small show in Decatur, IL about 10 years ago.

wyatt-earp-32-cgc.jpg

All-in-all an educational experience. I don't know if I'll be sending a bunch more books to CGC or not. Maybe I should hire RMA to pre-screen my collection for 9.8s. He seemed to have an eye for them.

It's hard to tell by a photo or a scan, but that Strange tales does look a lot better than a 8.5, maybe the grader's note may shed some light on it. Love that Wyatt Earp book by the way.Not a bad result for a first sub. :applause:

All-in-all an educational experience. I don't know if I'll be sending a bunch more books to CGC or not. Maybe I should hire RMA to pre-screen my collection for 9.8s. He seemed to have an eye for them.

It's all done with mirrors..... ;)

Just got my first batch of books back from Emerald City ComiCon. I sent in my Portacio Uncanny X-Men 281-290 for signature series and they all came back 9.8! :applause:

I also started my run of Wolverine sig series books by getting some signed by Barry Kitson, Mark Texeira, Michael Golden and Darrick Robertson. Again, all 9.8s :banana:

Just got my first batch of books back from Emerald City ComiCon. I sent in my Portacio Uncanny X-Men 281-290 for signature series and they all came back 9.8! :applause:

I also started my run of Wolverine sig series books by getting some signed by Barry Kitson, Mark Texeira, Michael Golden and Darrick Robertson. Again, all 9.8s :banana:

Epic!

This one was a bit of a disappointment. It is a stunning book. I'm not sure why they dinged it. To my eye it looks just as nice as the Hulk 116. I might have to call for the grader's notes on this one, just out of curiosity. Maybe it was the tiny bit of red distributor's ink along the top edge?

i'm guessing NCB's on the back cover, or something on the inside, like a significant tear or tanning

i'm guessing NCB's on the back cover, or something on the inside, like a significant tear or tanning

Yeah, I'm thinking it had to have been something on the inside that I missed. The back cover is virtually perfect. Maybe the centerfold was detached at one staple or something, although I thought I checked that. Oh well. How do you get the grader's notes? Do you have to call CGC?

My first batch from Emerald City ComicCon arrived today - big thanks to Chandler @ Desertwind Comics:

Batman: The Man Who Laughs CGC 9.6

Signed by Ed Brubaker and Doug Mahnke

BMMWL1CGC96SS.jpg

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight #1 CGC 9.8

Signed by Jo Chen & Andy Owens

BVS1CGC98SS.jpg

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight #1 CGC 9.6

Signed by Jo Chen & Andy Owens

BVS1CGC96SS.jpg

Deadpool #1 CGC 9.2

Signed by Joe Kelly & Richard Starkings

Disappointing - looks like there is a small tear on the top left corner. pretty sure it was not there when I submitted, but thats life

DP1CGC92SS.jpg

Grimm Fairy Tales #32 Capstone Comics Edition CGC 9.4

Signed by Eric Basaldua

I cannot find any defects - not sure why this came back a 9.4 - will need to call tomorrow.

GFT32CCGC94SS.jpg

Grimm Fairy Tales #41 Battlezone Comics Edition CGC 9.8

Signed by Eric Basaldua

GFT41BCGC98SS.jpg

Witchblade: Bearers of the Blade #1 Convention Edition CGC 9.6

Signed by Eric Basaldua

WBBB1CCGC96SS.jpg

Hey everyone just got these in. Some of these are books I pick up from Emerald City Comic Con and some from Board Members and the rest from various sources. Some of these will be for sale later if you are interested before I put a sales thread together just PM me. Enjoy.

P4280264.jpg

P4280265.jpg

P4280269.jpg

P4280272.jpg

P4280271.jpg

Will post some more, got to up load them. (thumbs u

Here are the rest

Copy A

P4280276.jpg

Copy B

P4280275.jpg

P4280266.jpg