• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OA FANTASTIC FOUR #49 ORIGINAL COVER PROOF

28 posts in this topic

It sounds similar to these things and they can't seem to give them away. Link

Yeah... these color guides seemed to appear out of thin air at the same time "real" original art started getting pricey for many collectors. Seems like a cheesy substitute to me, but I'm sure there are people that are into it.

That can't be a official press proof...

there's not enough bleed and there's no way that the trimmers

were that precise back then

Bleed: The amount of surface paper (that is intended to be trimmed)

that is the "excess" amount of the artwork on a given layout.

Usually the bleed is a quarter inch minimum for today's standards

back then I would imagine 1/2" —1" bleed.

hm

hm

I noticed the crop marks are way too small as well and there are no color bars or approval marks... but I presumed the proof had been trimmed down for display.

(shrug)

hm

I noticed the crop marks are way too small as well and there are no color bars or approval marks... but I presumed the proof had been trimmed down for display.

(shrug)

there isn't any color (bleed) outside of the crop marks where it is to be trimmed...

If this was copy trimmed down for display in my opinion it would have a flush cut.

This have neither of these qualities.

the only thing this could be is some wack a doo proof that had the bleed trapped

for presentation, but if they did that why not use more white space for notes???

hm

there isn't any color (bleed) outside of the crop marks where it is to be trimmed...

Oh, right. Gotcha now. (thumbs u

The brown on the cover should have gone beyond the crop marks. Something is fishy...

Actually, there is something else wrong with it.

Where is the art for the back cover? The original proof would have been a full spread of the front and back cover. Yet, this item shows the "crop mark" going down the left side of the front cover. There would be no cut on the left side of the front cover.

Here is something that does not come up very often :)

Paging DJ... :insane:

FF 49 Cover

Seller's had these things up before. Some appear to have sold and some not. They've also had more recent ones up for sale. The more recent ones don't seem to garner much interest but the older ones are more rare (fewer saved, more significant, etc.). Seller's had others from this era on ebay before and I would swear this one appeared on ebay before with a smaller price tag. Can't blame a guy for raising a price, though. I've seen things languish on ebay at one price, only to reappear with a much higher price and quickly find a buyer.

Actually, there is something else wrong with it.

Where is the art for the back cover? The original proof would have been a full spread of the front and back cover. Yet, this item shows the "crop mark" going down the left side of the front cover. There would be no cut on the left side of the front cover.

Actually full wrap proofs were produced showing front and backs, and them some were produced front cover only. If this is authentic it is amamzing from the standpoint that Marvel was destroying just about all production proofs at this time.

I would be asking a lot of questions on verification and I dont know if it could truly be 100% authenticated

So where is this stuff coming from? Who ultimately owns these proofs and were they all typically discarded? Same question for the original sketches.

This stuff is a xerox with a dash of history...that's about it. Depending on how much you like the book or how key it is you can expect $30 to $500, but $5,000?? No.

C

So where is this stuff coming from? Who ultimately owns these proofs and were they all typically discarded? Same question for the original sketches.

This stuff is a xerox with a dash of history...that's about it. Depending on how much you like the book or how key it is you can expect $30 to $500, but $5,000?? No.

C

Sometimes, "a xerox with a dash of history" can be worth quite a bit more than that.

Just ask the person who sold an original copy of the Declaration of Independence for 8.1 million.

I have been buying Quite a few peices from a couple of reputable dealers I trust.

Never seen any Marvel items but As someone else mentioned Jack Adler at DC

saved a relativly large amount of Items from the early 70s he was involved in. Color proofs cover proofs etc. The whole shebang was sold to a couple of guys as I remember a few years ago. One of them is the dealer I have been buying from. They are Authenticated thru original certificates, and Basically trust in the dealer.

The collectability of these items if authenticated can be incredible. You own something that most collectors cant. If this is authentic, thousands own FF-4 #49

Only one will own the production peice. Again without more verification I would be skeptical.

More on the Jack Adler collection can be found in The Magazine Comic Marketplace #85

C

Sometimes, "a xerox with a dash of history" can be worth quite a bit more than that.

Just ask the person who sold an original copy of the Declaration of Independence for 8.1 million.

a xerox with a dash of history for a comic book cover from 1962-2008 is still $30-$500. Unless someone tears off the top layer of Galactus' head and see's "When in the course of Human Events..." underneath the analogy doesn't seem to fit.

C

C

a xerox with a dash of history for a comic book cover from 1962-2008 is still $30-$500. Unless someone tears off the top layer of Galactus' head and see's "When in the course of Human Events..." underneath the analogy doesn't seem to fit.

C

Never claimed the analogy meant that a comic proof was equivalent in value, only that sometimes such items can go for a lot. And I think your estimates would cover some comic book covers, but for some very important ones would be very low, especially when the comic itself can go for thousands and even tens of thousands. If the proof to ff 49 were listed with a starting bid of 30 bucks there would be many who'd say it's worth only that, but there would also be quite a few more who'd say it was worth a good deal more.

C

C

Never claimed the analogy meant that a comic proof was equivalent in value, only that sometimes such items can go for a lot. And I think your estimates would cover some comic book covers, but for some very important ones would be very low, especially when the comic itself can go for thousands and even tens of thousands. If the proof to ff 49 were listed with a starting bid of 30 bucks there would be many who'd say it's worth only that, but there would also be quite a few more who'd say it was worth a good deal more.

I did not say it was worth $30. I said cover proofs to comics can be worth, in general $30 to $500. That depends on title, time period, and desirability of the particular issue and the condition of the proof.

You can get proofs to modern comics which are pretty much available all the time on ebay for less than $50. I have several that I purchased for $30 to $40...Sandman, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, various Vertigo Books and Super Hero titles from both Marvel and DC.

That was why I said cover proofs from 1962-2008 go for between $30-500...and not the FF 49 specifically. If I had to place a value on that particular one, assuming authenticity, it is one of the ones that would not shock me to go for $500.

C