• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Ewhert Scandal?

134 posts in this topic

The last I heard, Steve B told him to make himself scarce as far as the comic biz was concerned and I don't know if he has been seen since. I think someone did mention seeing him somewhere, though I don't believe it was comic related. It's my understand he was just part of a larger circle that was never identified.

was he ever brought up on any charges?

No. some of the board lawyers did some preliminary leg work in hopes of getting a lawsuit against him but it stalled early on in the process.

I guess they realized the negative press would hurt their investments in slabbed comics. Best to keep it quiet. :baiting:

No, their problem was that they didn't have a client. No one who was wronged by Ewert stepped forward to be part of the legal action.

That makes sense. You can't really say Ewert did something illegal I guess, it just wasn't ethical. If you know you have a restored comic and you want to send it into CGC, you don't have to tell them it is restored (or destroyed in the case of trimming).

Is CGC at fault? Only if it could be proven that they knew these were trimmed and were in some way benefiting from it along with Ewert..

so ya, I can see why this went no where.

Only if fraud isn't illegal.

If I have a book that I know has been restored and I send it in to CGC... and they give it a blue label... where is the fraud? Is it my fault they missed it?

I only see an ethical issue against Jason... clearly he lacks ethics... anything to get a buck...

If I bought a cgc graded comic with trimming and it had a blue label I would want CGC to compensate me for their mistake.

I see what you are trying to say but saying that there was only an "ethical issue" with Ewert is ridiculous. CGC did not initially catch the trimming and that lets the person who submitted(knowing full well what was done to the books) and possibly( (shrug) ) trimmed the books offf the hook?

Anyway, I think we can simply sum this up by saying Ewert=bad. Thread done.

Hmmm....my posts along with Red got deleted. What kind of conspiracy is this?!?

Huh? You talking 'bout me? What posts?

Never mind. Wrong thread. Crisis averted. Insanity detected. Crack being smoked.

Don't do that to me man....I got a ginkgo biloba drip going six hours a day as it is! :insane:

The last I heard, Steve B told him to make himself scarce as far as the comic biz was concerned and I don't know if he has been seen since. I think someone did mention seeing him somewhere, though I don't believe it was comic related. It's my understand he was just part of a larger circle that was never identified.

No. some of the board lawyers did some preliminary leg work in hopes of getting a lawsuit against him but it stalled early on in the process.

I guess they realized the negative press would hurt their investments in slabbed comics. Best to keep it quiet. :baiting:

No, their problem was that they didn't have a client. No one who was wronged by Ewert stepped forward to be part of the legal action.

That makes sense. You can't really say Ewert did something illegal I guess, it just wasn't ethical. If you know you have a restored comic and you want to send it into CGC, you don't have to tell them it is restored (or destroyed in the case of trimming).

Is CGC at fault? Only if it could be proven that they knew these were trimmed and were in some way benefiting from it along with Ewert..

If I have a book that I know has been restored and I send it in to CGC... and they give it a blue label... where is the fraud? Is it my fault they missed it?

I only see an ethical issue against Jason... clearly he lacks ethics... anything to get a buck...

If I bought a cgc graded comic with trimming and it had a blue label I would want CGC to compensate me for their mistake.

That's the key phrase...because that's not what Ewert did.

Ewert didn't own restored books. He owned unrestored books, which he then worked on in a fashion that he was confident was undetectable.

That's fraud. (thumbs u

Ewert didn't own restored books. He owned unrestored books, which he then worked on in a fashion that he was confident was undetectable.

That's fraud. (thumbs u

What makes you think he "worked " on the books himself? I think it would take a great deal of skill to micro trim a book that can get passed the CGC.

That's fraud. (thumbs u

What makes you think he "worked " on the books himself? I think it would take a great deal of skill to micro trim a book that can get passed the CGC.

It's irrelevant if he did the work personally or not. They were his book's, and all the work was done at his instruction. He was the orchestrator of it all, and this is well established based on only the most immediate facts surrounding this.

Even his immediate 'partner' Tom Brulato denies 'all knowledge' of Ewarts duplicity in submissions to CGC.

It's irrelevant if he did the work personally or not. They were his book's, and all the work was done at his instruction. He was the orchestrator of it all, and this is well established based on only the most immediate facts surrounding this.

Even his immediate 'partner' Tom Brulato denies 'all knowledge' of Ewarts duplicity in submissions to CGC.

The ending to the Ewert fiasco always seemed weird. Why would an "independent" 3rd party confiscate the trimmed books and issue FMV refund checks on behalf of his partner-dealer? That kind of goes against being 'independent', taking on the roll of 'agent' for another business.

Ewert 'acted alone', but it takes a village to enact damage control?

Didn't make sense. (shrug)

The ending to the Ewert fiasco always seemed weird. Why would an "independent" 3rd party confiscate the trimmed books and issue FMV refund checks on behalf of his partner-dealer? That kind of goes against being 'independent', taking on the roll of 'agent' for another business.

Ewert 'acted alone', but it takes a village to enact damage control?

Didn't make sense. (shrug)

I don't recall how many books were 'refunded' by CGC, but I don't think it was many.

Stirling might be the person to ask regarding this. I beleive he was tracking alot of the books, and their returns for a second opinion at CGC.

As to what their exact thinking was in relation to this was spoken about by Steve B. I think we need a refresher at this point....

I still say CGC is def at fault as well in this, however it does say in Legal Print on the back of every CGC case that their grading is an OPINION and not fact.

Off course we as collectors use CGC as the standard, but legally it seems that’s CGC way of omitting them selves from this, but I am sure most of CGC still feel like they let us the CGC community down by not catching the trimming at the time of grading, hence recalling all of Jason Ewerts books and regrading them for free.

To me I can understand why NO legal action was taken against JE, however the street justice was served because he is banned from CGC and shunned in the comic world. To me if I was banned and if I went to conventions everyone was shunning looking at me that would be very painful to my character, so I think in the end JE got what he morally deserved.

Trimming is the hardest aspect of restoration to detect, I mean lets face it, are there other CGC high grade books out there that are restored but have a “Blue Label” off course they are. It’s not a perfect system, but is damn good in my opinion.

John

I still say CGC is def at fault as well in this, however it does say in Legal Print on the back of every CGC case that their grading is an OPINION and not fact.

Right, on the front of the label it says "Guaranty" and then on the back it says "not really".

meh

If you knowingly sell a restored book as unrestored you have committed fraud regardless of whether it's in a blue slab. When Enron doctored their financials it was THEIR fraud, not the auditor that certified them (though they were culpable for negligence).

Right, on the front of the label it says "Guaranty" and then on the back it says "not really".

meh

The only thing they guarentee is that it will be looked at by three supposedly uninterested third party graders.Oh yeah,they also guarentee they will charge you even if they end up not grading the book for whatever reason.

If you knowingly sell a restored book as unrestored you have committed fraud regardless of whether it's in a blue slab. When Enron doctored their financials it was THEIR fraud, not the auditor that certified them (though they were culpable for negligence).

A Valid Point, and there are alot of examples Jason Ewerts out there in the comic world which sucks all the fun out of this hobby sometimes.

There are some comic dealers out there that I know first hand are selling "RAW" Restored books and don't disclose the resto so the buyer thinks they are buying an unrestored book AND dealers who are terrible at checking the book before they sell them at unrestored prices when in fact they are restored (ignorance in not an excuse here either.)