• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBAY ? on selling per run or lot

3 posts in this topic

Alright, I'm selling a comic collection for a client. What I'm trying to figure out is it better to list (700) marvel comics as 1 big lot or break them down by character? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I know by heart you all will say character because this way you only need to bid on what you want but I want to know which way will bring better money.

thumbsup2.gif

His collection includes books from 1960 - today

He actually has over 10,000 books I'm selling for him and I was thinking about breaking them up into lots by DC, Marvel, Image, Valiant, etc.

Any input will be appreciated.

Rich

"High dollar items" (you decide what's high enough for your taste)

should be sold separately. General runs (same age/style) can be

as large as you like, but probably should be separated by title.

One big auction requires "one big bidder" and bidders like that

are looking for the "price per pound" discount... no respect for the

books themselves until they're ready to sell. Then they do the

"break 'em up" steps I mentioned at the start... and they profit.

It really depends on the books. If there are a lot of high grade books, than you could sell them in Groups such as VF/NM to NM Silver-Age Marvels, or High-Grade run of Spider-Man, etc.

The reason you usually want to sell in groups of at least $50 or more is to keep the listing fees down to a minimum (for you) and the shipping cost down to a minimum (for the buyer).

Also, most collectors are either high-grade or not type collectors. If you put together Groups that say VG to Mint, most people are going to assume that the books are more likely in VG and that any Mint books are modern newer issues that aren't worth much anyone.

Look at how Showcase New-England does it, which seems to work pretty well.

Hope that helps.