• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the real value of a '1937 SF Examiner Comics Compendium'

6 posts in this topic

I have a tight search engine on ebay for comics in my neck of the snowy woods. This popped up and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this sort of item.

cca6_1.JPG

1937 SF Examiner Comics Compendium

Is a starting bid of $2000 pulled out of thin air, or legit?

I once had many similar bound volumes but have sold them over the years. The real value would be the early Prince Valiants (I'm assuming that there are PV's in the Examiner since it was Hearst's flagship paper). The strip started in Feb. 1937 and full pages started right around June or so. So if I'm correct with my thought process, you'll have some great full page Vals in here.

$2,000 sounds a bit high though. I sold a 1934 bound volume with the first Flash Gordon strips (Jan. 7, 1934) and got $800 a few years back.

Full Prince Valiant pages start from #1 in Feb 1937 and ran in just three newspapers in the Sunday

Most Hearst Saturday papers ran in in their tabloid comics section

ergo, there is no PV in the SF Examiner until around PV #53 when it entered PUCK THE COMIC WEEKLY for the first time

sorry Gary

Robert Beerbohm

www.BLBcomics.com

Full Prince Valiant pages start from #1 in Feb 1937 and ran in just three newspapers in the Sunday

Most Hearst Saturday papers ran in in their tabloid comics section

ergo, there is no PV in the SF Examiner until around PV #53 when it entered PUCK THE COMIC WEEKLY for the first time

sorry Gary

Robert Beerbohm

www.BLBcomics.com

Thanks, Bob. Are you saying that Val ran on Saturdays in the Examiner in a tabloid section? Did the SF Examiner not run Sunday funnies then?

Any idea why Hearst wouldn't have published Val in his flagship paper- since he loved Foster's work so much and stole him away from King? Pretty odd don't you think?

Hi Gary

What i mean is that Prince Valiant did not begin as a "mainline" Sunday comic strip feature for the first year in most of the Hearst main papers - it ran in their Saturday papers which did notput out a sunday edition, but the customers still wanted their color comics, so those Saturday newspapers had a tabloid section

PV is not in SF Examiner the first year - most new features had to earn their oats before being admitted into PUCK THE COMIC WEEKLY

At the beginning of its 2nd year Feb 1938 it was added to the PUCK section, where it has remained ever since

Hearst owned King Features syndicate - do not understand that query

Hi Gary

What i mean is that Prince Valiant did not begin as a "mainline" Sunday comic strip feature for the first year in most of the Hearst main papers - it ran in their Saturday papers which did notput out a sunday edition, but the customers still wanted their color comics, so those Saturday newspapers had a tabloid section

PV is not in SF Examiner the first year - most new features had to earn their oats before being admitted into PUCK THE COMIC WEEKLY

At the beginning of its 2nd year Feb 1938 it was added to the PUCK section, where it has remained ever since

Hearst owned King Features syndicate - do not understand that query

I'm sorry, I did not mean that King was a Hearst competitor, Bob. I'm just flabbergasted that Hearst, who was a huge Foster fan - and paid him an enormous amount to do PV - did not run that strip in his flagship paper from the outset. Earn their oats???!! My god this was Hal Foster! The same Foster who drew Tarzan since 1929!.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification, Bob!