• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Telling the difference in HG

23 posts in this topic

:popcorn:the classic rope bundle stress mark Is that what I'm seeing when I see those sort of crescent shaped indentations, usually a few in a row, on comics? hm

For years I've been wonderring what they were. That might be the same thing. It has been rare that I see 2 rows of these bundle marks on a comic cover.

I am unable to have them show on a scan because the comic is encapsulated.

Hi Everyone

The crescent indents on comics (so far, I've only seen these on laste 60's and early-mid 70's Marvel's) usually occur at the top 3d of the book and near the bottom 3d of the book and can be seen in raking light across the width of the front and back cover. While not 100%, I'm 99% sure these are roller marks from the production machines as the covers are grabbed while coming out of the printing process and pre-stapling. I'm hesitant to state this next part for fear of starting another pressing thread; but this type of defect can easily be pressed out.

Thanks

Tracey Heft

www.eclipsepaper.com

I have wondered about this, too. The indentations are too light to be the string/plastic from bundles and the edges of such comics are not notched as they would be if it was from bundling. Thanks for the insight.

I have wondered about this, too. The indentations are too light to be the string/plastic from bundles and the edges of such comics are not notched as they would be if it was from bundling. Thanks for the insight.

I bought a comic at a show, I put the comic in the front of a short box as I was loading my boxes to leave. The comic I bought was in the front and slid down slightly. Which I unfortunately didnt notice as I stuck my Overstreet Price Guide in the box, bending the book. The outcome was the exact marks you are talking about. So it is most likely a series of NCB's you are seeing. I read the thread and finally understood what to call that.

Basically, load a box of comics too fast, have less then one quarter of the comic bend, remove the books you were putting in. There is your mystery crease or rope.