• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Books Can it go on forever. Hope so.?

74 posts in this topic

I want to start a discussion with the intelligensia of the comics community regarding the where they feel we are regarding CGC graded comics. Using the demise of the sports card grading industry and the related pricing crash as an example I want some insightful feedback on where on the bell curve we are at regarding upward or downward prices for CGC comics in general. I think this is an important discussion since history tends to repeat itself. Forget exceptions I am talking about overall trends in general and how we can be smart in our buying decisions.

Hi...this topic has been hotly debated numerous times here before.

I suggest looking up via the "Search" function, several classic slugfests/threads including:

"Ok. Say I have $5,000... What comics to buy?"

"Comic Market Crash"

"Why Would Comic Prices Increase over the Next 10 Years?"

"Speculator Risk"

"So, ARE comics a decent investment?"

"CBS News Report"

"Not Another Market Crash Thread"

"Where are comic prices heading?"

"Official Non-Market Crash Thread (No Chicken Littles!)"

"Collectibles as Investments Article:"

as well as any number of threads centered around the question, "What comic will be the next Hulk #181?"

Gene

..thank you Gene thumbsup2.gif

I think I would have tossed my dinner in projectile fashion if that tired topic was rehashed yet again.

No offense Joseph.. we've been around that block too many times. You have a great deal of reading to do on those threads Gene highlighted... get busy

smile.gif

You have two camps out there, one are the vanguards of solely in to collect the issues that have some meaning to their love for their favorite artists' and writers' style that will grade their comics for encapsulating for a long time to cherish. The second are the group of investors that are there for the quick dollar and follow the rollercoaster ride and hoping to stay above the erratic trends to justify there needs for a short gain $$!!.

I have some hope ( 893crossfingers-thumb.gif ) that the longevity to collecting comicbooks will endure more than any other collectable such as trading card or figurine(action). In other words there is more to the life of a book then other pop culture artifacts , so getting back to the point about the market of CGC. It's health to have the market deflate a bit not much I hope so that the microcosm of comic will not total collapse. It like that business market term: "you want a bull market" but at some point it will show it's "bear's claw eventually!! sumo.gif

Thanks Bruce. Everyone trying to buy from me is using the sky is falling excuse. I am reading the former threads. Very informative threads and of course my intent is not to concur that that we have peaked it is to ask those of you in the know as to where are we in the grading cycle. I am just looking for some top level discussion on this. If the former threads are still relevant so be it. Does anyone have any new orginal ideas on where we are at and where we are going if not lets move on.. Thanks, smile.gif

Thanks Bruce. Everyone trying to buy from me is using the sky is falling excuse. I am reading the former threads. Very informative threads and of course my intent is not to concur that that we have peaked it is to ask those of you in the know as to where are we in the grading cycle. I am just looking for some top level discussion on this. If the former threads are still relevant so be it. Does anyone have any new orginal ideas on where we are at and where we are going if not lets move on.. Thanks, smile.gif

It depends......are you an investor or collector ? confused-smiley-013.gif

>893crossfingers-thumb.gif please stop now...

all this is covered in the threads he's been directed too< 893frustrated.gifstooges.gif

Hey Bruce,

When did you become the THREAD MARSHAL? confused.gif

1st you tell people that they shouldn't post KUDOS anywhere but the thread you started.......now you're giving me a hard time for responding to someone's post?

I didn't know you had joined the THOUGHT POLICE ....... frown.gif

>893crossfingers-thumb.gif please stop now...

all this is covered in the threads he's been directed too< 893frustrated.gifstooges.gif

Hey Bruce,

When did you become the THREAD MARSHAL? confused.gif

1st you tell people that they shouldn't post KUDOS anywhere but the thread you started.......now you're giving me a hard time for responding to someone's post?

I didn't know you had joined the THOUGHT POLICE ....... frown.gif

popcorn.gif

Thanks Beyonder. I too am concerned with censorship.

I value what Bruce has to say given his industry expertise but apparently I not going to be able to get him to alk about the state of the comics industry re: value of the average graded comics. Given what some of the guys on this forum have invested in CGC comics I can now assume this is not a popular topic.