• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

9.8?

32 posts in this topic

The 'new' CGC grading standard is no Tan pages at 8.5 or higher.

So is that book another mistake?

Not a mistake, just a 'change' in the grading standards and the way Tan/Off-Tan pages are taken into account on the overall grade of the book.

20-tantocream.jpg

Steve posted in the past that this was a mistake and they contacted the seller to try to get it changed. Whether the seller eventually sent it back is another matter.

Plitch came on and stated something to the effect that, "no book with Tan pages can achieve a grade greater than 8.5".

But that's NOT what you said. doh!

The 'new' CGC grading standard is no Tan pages at 8.5 or higher.

That's the reason I inquired if that CGC 8.5 Hulk was a mistake.

If you do resubmit your X-men 114 CGC 9.2 it will get an 8.5. I guarantee it.

Nope, I would get a 9.2 in return.

I am not sure why you think that. CGC is taking page quality into account differently than they did when the graded your book in the old label.

Do you know how to search for a post by poster's name? 'cause I'd like to find Plitch's post.

Nope, I would get a 9.2 in return.

I am not sure why you think that. CGC is taking page quality into account differently than they did when the graded your book in the old label.

Do you know how to search for a post by poster's name? 'cause I'd like to find Plitch's post.

I found it! Damn, that took forever...mostly because it was West that said it, not Paul! doh!

The highest grade CGC assigns a book with "light-tan to off-white" pages is 8.5, no matter how nice the cover many be.

West

I found it! Damn, that took forever...mostly because it was West that said it, not Paul! doh!

The highest grade CGC assigns a book with "light-tan to off-white" pages is 8.5, no matter how nice the cover many be.

West

My mistake in thinking it was Paul doh!

Thanks for doing the legwork in searching (thumbs u

Not a mistake, just a 'change' in the grading standards and the way Tan/Off-Tan pages are taken into account on the overall grade of the book.

I just noticed it was a new label, and thought maybe CGC had done another one like my CGC 9.2 mistake (which I really should send back someday :tonofbricks:).

And that X-Men 214 is a definite mistake, and you should contact Steve about it. It was always 9.0 or below for even Light-Tan, and now you're saying it's been lowered to 8.0 or less?

The X-men 214 is not mine. The Hulk 131 is mine. The scan is compressed but you can see outer cover = 9.0, inner cover 9.6. As soon as I got it back from CGC I called and was told that it got knocked down due to the Off-Tan pages.

After I posted the book on the Boards, Plitch came on and stated something to the effect that, "no book with Tan pages can achieve a grade greater than 8.5". If I knew how to search based on a user's posts I'd find it.

This explains alot. I had a light tan ASM 106 in 9.2...sent it for a reslab, CGC called and said they had to regrade it, and it got an 8.5. :pullhair:

I would of told them not to re-slab it. It isn't there book now is it? They fix there "mistake". You loose money on the book. That is just not right in any way shape or form. What if this was a very high dollar book? It could cost the owner literally thousands of dollars!! A book is sold at say $25,000 but the new buyer says I don't like that little crack in the case. Have the book re-slabbed and send it too me. All of the sudden that book is worth $18,000 Who makes up that difference?? A good lawyer would have a field day with something like that. They have the customer at a very distinct dis advantage here. There not going to allow the book to stay in a 9.2 slab. I don't see them sending the book back as it was IMHO. They should at the very least offer to pay the difference in the price of the book after the re grading. They want to correct there mistake OK. But not at the expense of the owner. They made the mistake. They should pay to fix that mistake.