• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original COVERS for BRONZE keys

53 posts in this topic

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Frank Frazetta offered 100k for the WSF cover about 15-20 years ago (an unheard of amount for comic art at the time) and he turned it down?

Dunno about that far back, but I do know that a $200K offer was turned down not that long ago and I heard that a $250K offer was refused as well (can't verify the latter claim; it could have just been the former offer exaggerated in someone's retelling). Can't say that I blame the family; I wouldn't want to sell a cover that some regard as the greatest ever in comics for not much more than what the Batman #11 cover (much more of a historical curiosity than a nice piece of art IMO) fetched at auction. (shrug)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Frank Frazetta offered 100k for the WSF cover about 15-20 years ago (an unheard of amount for comic art at the time) and he turned it down?

Dunno about that far back, but I do know that a $200K offer was turned down not that long ago and I heard that a $250K offer was refused as well (can't verify the latter claim; it could have just been the former offer exaggerated in someone's retelling). Can't say that I blame the family; I wouldn't want to sell a cover that some regard as the greatest ever in comics for not much more than what the Batman #11 cover (much more of a historical curiosity than a nice piece of art IMO)fetched at auction. (shrug)

250k was said to have been turned down and I can easily believe the offer and the rejection. I can see that cover selling in the 500k range, though it might have to happen via private treaty rather than auction.

Six figures is a BIG barrier. Of the few number of pieces that have broken it, pen/ink BA art probably represents the smallest sample. GS X-MEN #1 moved privately a couple of years ago. That was a six figure piece. HULK #181, if it ever surfaces, is a surefire $100K+ piece. Beyond that, can't think of too many others. Even the best examples from BA legends BWS and Neal Adams would have a tough time. SUPERMAN #233 (which I consider one of Neal's all-time best) was available for around $100K...no takers. Similarly, I don't believe the market value for CONAN #24 is $100K, either. Well, yet, anyway...

Question - is there any known stigma attached to the BWS Conan art? That is, was any of this art stolen from the Marvel warehouse, or did BWS get the art back? Obviously it's been trading hands a lot over the years and it's been auctioned publicly, but given that BWS is making buyers of his artwork sign a restrictive transfer & sale agreement, I just want to make sure that he's not looking to reclaim any of his early Marvel work. I know where some of his Conan work is buried that hasn't seen the light of day in years and am thinking about personally going after it (so don't ask me for any details :sumo:) but I want to make sure there is no stigma that has been keeping this work from being re-sold. :juggle:

I wonder how much Steve Fishler's House of Secrets #92 cover by Wrightson would fetch if it were auctioned off at no reserve. hm

Believe it or not, I think something like a McFarlane ASM cover has a chance to break $100K before a BA Adams or BWS...

:sick:

Six figures is a BIG barrier. Of the few number of pieces that have broken it, pen/ink BA art probably represents the smallest sample. GS X-MEN #1 moved privately a couple of years ago. That was a six figure piece. HULK #181, if it ever surfaces, is a surefire $100K+ piece. Beyond that, can't think of too many others. Even the best examples from BA legends BWS and Neal Adams would have a tough time. SUPERMAN #233 (which I consider one of Neal's all-time best) was available for around $100K...no takers. Similarly, I don't believe the market value for CONAN #24 is $100K, either. Well, yet, anyway...

Believe it or not, I think something like a McFarlane ASM cover has a chance to break $100K before a BA Adams or BWS...

Felix, I still gotta think that the Cover Art to Conan #1 is worth more at auction than any McFarlane ASM cover, I just need to believe that in order to not go :screwy:

As for the WSF 29 - well I think its the best Comic Book cover ever, but my Fraz bias is well established. Does anyone know which Frazetta Famous Funnies sold in SD 2001 for 150K???

Question - is there any known stigma attached to the BWS Conan art? That is, was any of this art stolen from the Marvel warehouse, or did BWS get the art back? Obviously it's been trading hands a lot over the years and it's been auctioned publicly, but given that BWS is making buyers of his artwork sign a restrictive transfer & sale agreement, I just want to make sure that he's not looking to reclaim any of his early Marvel work. I know where some of his Conan work is buried that hasn't seen the light of day in years and am thinking about personally going after it (so don't ask me for any details :sumo:) but I want to make sure there is no stigma that has been keeping this work from being re-sold. :juggle:

No idea. But his early art has been around, sold (as you mentioned), AND publicly displayed, without any controversy that I know of.

I wonder how much Steve Fishler's House of Secrets #92 cover by Wrightson would fetch if it were auctioned off at no reserve. hm

Again, no idea. $100K is a possibility, but more for the first appearance angle than the actual art. I think ST #9 (also in the same collection) is the better cover.

Speaking of HOS #92, the entire Swampy story was at this past SD. Would have been cool if it was reunited with the cover.

Hey, I don't pretend to understand it, either! Which leads me to...

Felix, I still gotta think that the Cover Art to Conan #1 is worth more at auction than any McFarlane ASM cover, I just need to believe that in order to not go :screwy:

I'd like to believe that, too. All I can tell you is that top McFarlane covers trade privately for numbers that defy reason. And that's saying a lot in this hobby! Certain McF covers have a strong emotional, nostalgic pull for certain collectors that exceeds anything else I've seen. More than Byrne X-MEN. More than DKR. Frankly, nostalgia is about all it has going for it. His ASM work has little historical value (all depends on how much you like Venom) and is not otherwise seen as an important run (are tpb compilations even still in print?). That just leaves the art-- I'll let everyone else decide if that alone merits the price. If I'm buying art just for the sake of how pretty it is, I'll take Adams, BWS, Stevens, Bolland, etc. McF doesn't come close. 2c

Does anyone know how much the covers to Hulk 340, Spiderman 1, or ASM 298 sold for?

Here is a lowdown on the Frazetta Famous Funnies covers:

209: Sold and in private collection

210: Sold and in private collection (believe this was the San Diego comic con sale) 100K+

211: Sold and in private collection (cash/trade deal but over 100K+)

212: Held by the Frazettas

213: Sold at Heritage for 110K+ IF ANYONE KNOWS WHO OWNS THIS CONTACT ME as I would love to make a VERY generous offer.

214: Held by the Frazettas

215: Recently sold and in private collection

216: Held by the Frazettas

WSF 29: Held by the Frazettas

I do know that Frank and Ellie have turned down VERY high cash offers for the WSF 29 (by myself and others). Frank has told me it is his favorite piece and he would NEVER let it go.

Hope that helps.

S

Here is a lowdown on the Frazetta Famous Funnies covers:

209: Sold and in private collection

210: Sold and in private collection (believe this was the San Diego comic con sale) 100K+

211: Sold and in private collection (cash/trade deal but over 100K+)

212: Held by the Frazettas

213: Sold at Heritage for 110K+ IF ANYONE KNOWS WHO OWNS THIS CONTACT ME as I would love to make a VERY generous offer.

214: Held by the Frazettas

215: Recently sold and in private collection

216: Held by the Frazettas

WSF 29: Held by the Frazettas

I do know that Frank and Ellie have turned down VERY high cash offers for the WSF 29 (by myself and others). Frank has told me it is his favorite piece and he would NEVER let it go.

Hope that helps.

S

Vincent Zurzolo bought the 215 very recently and I think its awesome that Frank has the WSF 29 seems appropriate he should own that one. Anyone have a picture?

For a non-character cover, WSF #29 must be the most valuable US cover.

I would be happy to have just the art paste-overs that Frank likely tossed after Gaines published the corrected cover.

Although, the Europeans might be higher in both categories.

Best,