• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Discoloration due to sunlight exposure?

2 posts in this topic

Can anyone comment on the prospects for removing discoloraton due to sunlight from a piece of 1950s comic book art? The page in question is black ink on strathmore. It must have been exposed to direct sunlight for many years since it has severe yellowing that significantly impacts its visual appeal. The value is somewhere in the lower 5 figures and I can justify a proportional expense to cleaning/conservation.

I've always been under the impression that yellowing results from the acid content of the paper, and that exposure to sunlight has the effect of fading. Whatever the case may be, I did have a conservator work on a piece for me a few years back and was very happy with the results. I can't for the life of me remember who did the work, but he was refered to me by Heritage Comics.

Hope this helps!

Bill