• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hurry! Buy! The Foreigners Are Coming!

90 posts in this topic

I used to get a big kick of out rewriting these so I figured I would do one.

Words in BOLD are Chuck’s thought process or potentially the educated reader’s thoughts.

In case you're wondering, (No, not really) I'm mentioning this trend toward large offshore comics shipments because I think that it is important for all of our American customers to realize that a great many older American comics are now leaving the country. For the past dozen years (I did miss a few years when I was sick with West Nile), while the back issue comics world in the USA has seen a greater and greater availability of older issues thanks to the amazing efficiencies of the overall Internet marketplace (and if you didn’t know my website was the 1st comicbook store online and it is the biggest too, and funnest and your best value), there has been some measure of complacency that has evolved among many American comics fans. I see this lack of urgency quite frequently at comics shows, where I observe more than a few collectors passing on the opportunity to purchase rare pre-1980 issues (at quite low prices...) that I personally know are really hard to find (I also don’t understand why they would not buy them for $1. I think the dealers need a secret special codeword sale). Simply put, I think that assuming that prices of older comics will continue to remain stableBut not on my site, never , and that supplies of older back issues will remain readily available, is unrealistic. Our economy is now tied in with the linked economies of the entire world, and when our comics prices remain low while the purchasing power of everyone else in the world increases dramatically (thanks to the unprecedented decline in exchange rates on the dollar), many of our best collectibles are going to be leaving the country. Most of them never to return. Not only are nearly half of our comics shipments from Mile High Comics now heading offshorethis could mean that the American buyer is getting smarter…. Time for a 90% off sale , but European collectibles dealers are now beginning to compete with me perhaps I should start offering more than a nickel a piece, I mean come on, it originally cost 10c and its old and ratty and smells to buy up comics at wholesale prices at East Coast comics shows. This is a trend that is accelerating very rapidly as the dollar falls to record lows. Simple economics dictates that, as huge numbers of older comics move offshore, future prices in US dollar terms will almost inevitably rise. Simply put, the message I see from this handwriting on the wall is that everyone who wants to build a collection of older US comics needs to stretch their budgets right now in order to obtain as many rare issues as they possibly can, while supplies are still available this should scare them into thinking that I only have 1 or 2 copies of X-Factor #1, and back issue comics prices are at historic lows. Yet, I still charge 4-5x the normal rate for them

All of the above having been said, by really working hard When not sick with West Nile have still been able to score great comics deals during my recent sweeps of conventions on the East Coast. The Europeans dealers coming in are, as of yet, still a trickle, so, as our New-In-Stock and $50+ New-In-Stock listings clearly indicate, I've still been able to find some fantastic bargains for you during my buying trips. That's why I can still afford to drop all of our comics prices for you by at least 50% off, with a great many of our issues now listed at 60%-70% off. My only reason for mentioning the impact of International collectors is that I have made a living of predicting the future no really I can in back issue comics prices. What I currently see coming down the road is that burgeoning worldwide demand will continue to drive up the prices of all commodities, including rare American comics. Remember $18 a barrel oil, and $3 a bushel wheat or paying .10c per book for the Church stuff ? Comics certainly are not as critically important to our lives as those commodities well to me yeah they are, I need to rip you off to be able to buy old pottery , but the same economic principles apply buy low, and rip everyone off . I absolutely believe that today's prices on older back issue comics may be the very lowest we'll ever see in our lifetimesbut not on my site . I urge you to buy as many as you can right now, while you still can afford them on my site of course . 'Nuff said.

Glad he seems to be limiting his sadly jingoistic attempt at drumming up sales to off-shore foreigners.

I live here now and feel so much better about depriving you Americans of your rare historic documents while prices are at an all time low.

What a dolt.

I used to get a big kick of out rewriting these so I figured I would do one.

Words in BOLD are Chuck’s thought process or potentially the educated reader’s thoughts.

In case you're wondering, (No, not really) I'm mentioning this trend toward large offshore comics shipments because I think that it is important for all of our American customers to realize that a great many older American comics are now leaving the country. For the past dozen years (I did miss a few years when I was sick with West Nile), while the back issue comics world in the USA has seen a greater and greater availability of older issues thanks to the amazing efficiencies of the overall Internet marketplace (and if you didn’t know my website was the 1st comicbook store online and it is the biggest too, and funnest and your best value), there has been some measure of complacency that has evolved among many American comics fans. I see this lack of urgency quite frequently at comics shows, where I observe more than a few collectors passing on the opportunity to purchase rare pre-1980 issues (at quite low prices...) that I personally know are really hard to find (I also don’t understand why they would not buy them for $1. I think the dealers need a secret special codeword sale). Simply put, I think that assuming that prices of older comics will continue to remain stableBut not on my site, never , and that supplies of older back issues will remain readily available, is unrealistic. Our economy is now tied in with the linked economies of the entire world, and when our comics prices remain low while the purchasing power of everyone else in the world increases dramatically (thanks to the unprecedented decline in exchange rates on the dollar), many of our best collectibles are going to be leaving the country. Most of them never to return. Not only are nearly half of our comics shipments from Mile High Comics now heading offshorethis could mean that the American buyer is getting smarter…. Time for a 90% off sale , but European collectibles dealers are now beginning to compete with me perhaps I should start offering more than a nickel a piece, I mean come on, it originally cost 10c and its old and ratty and smells to buy up comics at wholesale prices at East Coast comics shows. This is a trend that is accelerating very rapidly as the dollar falls to record lows. Simple economics dictates that, as huge numbers of older comics move offshore, future prices in US dollar terms will almost inevitably rise. Simply put, the message I see from this handwriting on the wall is that everyone who wants to build a collection of older US comics needs to stretch their budgets right now in order to obtain as many rare issues as they possibly can, while supplies are still available this should scare them into thinking that I only have 1 or 2 copies of X-Factor #1, and back issue comics prices are at historic lows. Yet, I still charge 4-5x the normal rate for them

All of the above having been said, by really working hard When not sick with West Nile have still been able to score great comics deals during my recent sweeps of conventions on the East Coast. The Europeans dealers coming in are, as of yet, still a trickle, so, as our New-In-Stock and $50+ New-In-Stock listings clearly indicate, I've still been able to find some fantastic bargains for you during my buying trips. That's why I can still afford to drop all of our comics prices for you by at least 50% off, with a great many of our issues now listed at 60%-70% off. My only reason for mentioning the impact of International collectors is that I have made a living of predicting the future no really I can in back issue comics prices. What I currently see coming down the road is that burgeoning worldwide demand will continue to drive up the prices of all commodities, including rare American comics. Remember $18 a barrel oil, and $3 a bushel wheat or paying .10c per book for the Church stuff ? Comics certainly are not as critically important to our lives as those commodities well to me yeah they are, I need to rip you off to be able to buy old pottery , but the same economic principles apply buy low, and rip everyone off . I absolutely believe that today's prices on older back issue comics may be the very lowest we'll ever see in our lifetimesbut not on my site . I urge you to buy as many as you can right now, while you still can afford them on my site of course . 'Nuff said.

:laugh: Nice editing job... :hail:

and I wonder how must foreign business he will lose by fanning fears of xenophobia in the states..... If Im a European, Im thinking Why buy from Chuck when he hates our business so much!

hm I'm thinking a bunch of us foreigners should write this exact sentiment to chuck@milehighcomics.com...telling him we're through buying from him because of this hurtful message lol

Of course I'm banned from Milehigh...but maybe my email will get through anyway :whistle:

I have seen Chuck buying at the last few big East Coast shows that I have attended. And there is A LOT of guys with tables full of .50/$1 boxes. Which is awesome because I try and hit every one of 'em. And the stuff that gets put in these boxes always surprises me. But,what I want to know is,does this not happen at the mid-west and west coast shows? Is it rare to see guys with cheap boxes out there? He makes it sound like the East Coast is a dumping ground for books.

doh!

it just keeps getting better. meh

Awww come on, its just in fun :)

I was actually referring to chuckles, not your post.

Got it :) I didn't think at first it was directed at me, but the guy does have some fans.

, even Menudo (sic) still has fans.

From Chuck's latest neurosis masquerading as a newsletter. You have to admit his effort to stroke nationalistic tendancies is clever. It's validates his prices while at the same time feeds off natural comics compulsions...

In case you're wondering, I'm mentioning this trend toward large offshore comics shipments because I think that it is important for all of our American customers to realize that a great many older American comics are now leaving the country. For the past dozen years, while the back issue comics world in the USA has seen a greater and greater availability of older issues thanks to the amazing efficiencies of the overall Internet marketplace, there has been some measure of complacency that has evolved among many American comics fans. I see this lack of urgency quite frequently at comics shows, where I observe more than a few collectors passing on the opportunity to purchase rare pre-1980 issues (at quite low prices...) that I personally know are really hard to find. Simply put, I think that assuming that prices of older comics will continue to remain stable, and that supplies of older back issues will remain readily available, is unrealistic. Our economy is now tied in with the linked economies of the entire world, and when our comics prices remain low while the purchasing power of everyone else in the world increases dramatically (thanks to the unprecedented decline in exchange rates on the dollar), many of our best collectibles are going to be leaving the country. Most of them never to return. Not only are nearly half of our comics shipments from Mile High Comics now heading offshore, but European collectibles dealers are now beginning to compete with me to buy up comics at wholesale prices at East Coast comics shows. This is a trend that is accelerating very rapidly as the dollar falls to record lows. Simple economics dictates that, as huge numbers of older comics move offshore, future prices in US dollar terms will almost inevitably rise. Simply put, the message I see from this handwriting on the wall is that everyone who wants to build a collection of older US comics needs to stretch their budgets right now in order to obtain as many rare issues as they possibly can, while supplies are still available, and back issue comics prices are at historic lows.

All of the above having been said, by really working hard, I have still been able to score great comics deals during my recent sweeps of conventions on the East Coast. The Europeans dealers coming in are, as of yet, still a trickle, so, as our New-In-Stock and $50+ New-In-Stock listings clearly indicate, I've still been able to find some fantastic bargains for you during my buying trips. That's why I can still afford to drop all of our comics prices for you by at least 50% off, with a great many of our issues now listed at 60%-70% off. My only reason for mentioning the impact of International collectors is that I have made a living of predicting the future in back issue comics prices. What I currently see coming down the road is that burgeoning worldwide demand will continue to drive up the prices of all commodities, including rare American comics. Remember $18 a barrel oil, and $3 a bushel wheat? Comics certainly are not as critically important to our lives as those commodities, but the same economic principles apply. I absolutely believe that today's prices on older back issue comics may be the very lowest we'll ever see in our lifetimes. I urge you to buy as many as you can right now, while you still can afford them. 'Nuff said.

Jim

I hear that those book leaving the US are also converting to Islam at an alarming rate....