• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hurry! Buy! The Foreigners Are Coming!

90 posts in this topic

I emailed him and he replied :)

Dear Joseph:

Text of letter...

Chuck Rozanski

So now he's claiming it was an anti-Iraqi War rant? While at the same time trying to hype his comics? doh!

It's a joke...right?

EDIT: I removed the Chuck's e-mail but the question still applies...

Jim

From Chuck's latest neurosis masquerading as a newsletter. You have to admit his effort to stroke nationalistic tendancies is clever. It's validates his prices while at the same time feeds off natural comics compulsions...

In case you're wondering, I'm mentioning this trend toward large offshore comics shipments because I think that it is important for all of our American customers to realize that a great many older American comics are now leaving the country. For the past dozen years, while the back issue comics world in the USA has seen a greater and greater availability of older issues thanks to the amazing efficiencies of the overall Internet marketplace, there has been some measure of complacency that has evolved among many American comics fans. I see this lack of urgency quite frequently at comics shows, where I observe more than a few collectors passing on the opportunity to purchase rare pre-1980 issues (at quite low prices...) that I personally know are really hard to find. Simply put, I think that assuming that prices of older comics will continue to remain stable, and that supplies of older back issues will remain readily available, is unrealistic. Our economy is now tied in with the linked economies of the entire world, and when our comics prices remain low while the purchasing power of everyone else in the world increases dramatically (thanks to the unprecedented decline in exchange rates on the dollar), many of our best collectibles are going to be leaving the country. Most of them never to return. Not only are nearly half of our comics shipments from Mile High Comics now heading offshore, but European collectibles dealers are now beginning to compete with me to buy up comics at wholesale prices at East Coast comics shows. This is a trend that is accelerating very rapidly as the dollar falls to record lows. Simple economics dictates that, as huge numbers of older comics move offshore, future prices in US dollar terms will almost inevitably rise. Simply put, the message I see from this handwriting on the wall is that everyone who wants to build a collection of older US comics needs to stretch their budgets right now in order to obtain as many rare issues as they possibly can, while supplies are still available, and back issue comics prices are at historic lows.

All of the above having been said, by really working hard, I have still been able to score great comics deals during my recent sweeps of conventions on the East Coast. The Europeans dealers coming in are, as of yet, still a trickle, so, as our New-In-Stock and $50+ New-In-Stock listings clearly indicate, I've still been able to find some fantastic bargains for you during my buying trips. That's why I can still afford to drop all of our comics prices for you by at least 50% off, with a great many of our issues now listed at 60%-70% off. My only reason for mentioning the impact of International collectors is that I have made a living of predicting the future in back issue comics prices. What I currently see coming down the road is that burgeoning worldwide demand will continue to drive up the prices of all commodities, including rare American comics. Remember $18 a barrel oil, and $3 a bushel wheat? Comics certainly are not as critically important to our lives as those commodities, but the same economic principles apply. I absolutely believe that today's prices on older back issue comics may be the very lowest we'll ever see in our lifetimes. I urge you to buy as many as you can right now, while you still can afford them. 'Nuff said.

Jim

I hear that those book leaving the US are also converting to Islam at an alarming rate....

:roflmao:

Dear Joseph:...

Deleted Text

All the best!

Chuck Rozanski

You shouldn't have publicly posted a private email reply unless you had his permission to do so. Whether you agree with him or not, it's poor form and he obviously had an expectation of privacy in his reply given a few of the things he stated.

From Chuck's latest neurosis masquerading as a newsletter. You have to admit his effort to stroke nationalistic tendancies is clever. It's validates his prices while at the same time feeds off natural comics compulsions...

In case you're wondering, I'm mentioning this trend toward large offshore comics shipments because I think that it is important for all of our American customers to realize that a great many older American comics are now leaving the country. For the past dozen years, while the back issue comics world in the USA has seen a greater and greater availability of older issues thanks to the amazing efficiencies of the overall Internet marketplace, there has been some measure of complacency that has evolved among many American comics fans. I see this lack of urgency quite frequently at comics shows, where I observe more than a few collectors passing on the opportunity to purchase rare pre-1980 issues (at quite low prices...) that I personally know are really hard to find. Simply put, I think that assuming that prices of older comics will continue to remain stable, and that supplies of older back issues will remain readily available, is unrealistic. Our economy is now tied in with the linked economies of the entire world, and when our comics prices remain low while the purchasing power of everyone else in the world increases dramatically (thanks to the unprecedented decline in exchange rates on the dollar), many of our best collectibles are going to be leaving the country. Most of them never to return. Not only are nearly half of our comics shipments from Mile High Comics now heading offshore, but European collectibles dealers are now beginning to compete with me to buy up comics at wholesale prices at East Coast comics shows. This is a trend that is accelerating very rapidly as the dollar falls to record lows. Simple economics dictates that, as huge numbers of older comics move offshore, future prices in US dollar terms will almost inevitably rise. Simply put, the message I see from this handwriting on the wall is that everyone who wants to build a collection of older US comics needs to stretch their budgets right now in order to obtain as many rare issues as they possibly can, while supplies are still available, and back issue comics prices are at historic lows.

All of the above having been said, by really working hard, I have still been able to score great comics deals during my recent sweeps of conventions on the East Coast. The Europeans dealers coming in are, as of yet, still a trickle, so, as our New-In-Stock and $50+ New-In-Stock listings clearly indicate, I've still been able to find some fantastic bargains for you during my buying trips. That's why I can still afford to drop all of our comics prices for you by at least 50% off, with a great many of our issues now listed at 60%-70% off. My only reason for mentioning the impact of International collectors is that I have made a living of predicting the future in back issue comics prices. What I currently see coming down the road is that burgeoning worldwide demand will continue to drive up the prices of all commodities, including rare American comics. Remember $18 a barrel oil, and $3 a bushel wheat? Comics certainly are not as critically important to our lives as those commodities, but the same economic principles apply. I absolutely believe that today's prices on older back issue comics may be the very lowest we'll ever see in our lifetimes. I urge you to buy as many as you can right now, while you still can afford them. 'Nuff said.

Jim

I hear that those book leaving the US are also converting to Islam at an alarming rate....

Under the threat of being trimmed... :eek:

I think maybe some of you should just read what he says in his emails and then move on. Most of us receive them anyway so there is no need to reiterate his points. Let the man sell his comics and leave it at that. If you feel that he has become comical in his attempts to make a living than just go about your business.

Disagree with his practices but some of the posts are getting a bit personal and bordering on libel.

I dont see why chattering about Chuck and what he says or does is any different than any other chatter here or elsewhere. Maybe posting a persona email crosed a line... but not talking about his crazy mass emails. I dont think Chuck minds one bit. Ask him!

I'm no Chuck-apologist, and given that I make one convention each year (if I'm lucky) and that show isn't on the east coast, I don't know what things are like out there. I can certainly see where this could be seen as an attempt at marketing his stock, but hey, it's how he makes a living.

But marketing or not, he is right about the weakening dollar and the ability of foreign collectors/dealers to pick up books in the U.S. for a much cheaper price to them than they could 5 years ago. Is it enough to jump up, re-finance your home, and head to the nearest comic convention to load up before the books are shipped overseas? No. Absolutely not. High-end books may slowly trickle out, but they don't affect me (or the majority of collectors) anyway. Besides, how many oil sheiks, heirs to the throne, or European industrialists do you see bragging about their comic book collections?

I don't see his musings as xenophobic. He's stating what he believes to be a trend. I suppose one could read some extra into it about "gettin' us some comix a'fore them furrinners takes 'em all" but I think that's a stretch. Racist....? Not even close. Where is any race mentioned at all in his letter?

Now for his "Simply put, the message I see from this handwriting on the wall is that everyone who wants to build a collection of older US comics needs to stretch their budgets right now in order to obtain as many rare issues as they possibly can, while supplies are still available, and back issue comics prices are at historic lows." bit, there's no news there. If you want to build a good collection, you should always try to obtain as many rare issues as possible. That's the name of the game. "While supplies are still available"? Huh? If there were large supplies, then they wouldn't be rare. I do think he did get confused though, as back issue comics prices are not a historic lows in so much as I can tell. They're climbing, some years better than others, but generally climbing. Not every book goes up every year (how many of us are actively seeking Prime #4 before the market erupts?) but the keys and rare books are steadily climbing.

Maybe it's because I'm not a member of the Whack-A-Woodchuck club (I always enjoy talking to him, even if I don't buy a lot from him/his company), but while not entirely accurate, I don't find his letter as over-the-top as most here seem to.

(shrug)

Now for his "Simply put, the message I see from this handwriting on the wall is that everyone who wants to build a collection of older US comics needs to stretch their budgets right now in order to obtain as many rare issues as they possibly can, while supplies are still available, and back issue comics prices are at historic lows." bit, there's no news there. If you want to build a good collection, you should always try to obtain as many rare issues as possible. That's the name of the game. "While supplies are still available"? Huh? If there were large supplies, then they wouldn't be rare. I do think he did get confused though, as back issue comics prices are not a historic lows in so much as I can tell. They're climbing, some years better than others, but generally climbing. Not every book goes up every year (how many of us are actively seeking Prime #4 before the market erupts?) but the keys and rare books are steadily climbing.

Bull...he trying to create a sense of panic for US buyers, under false pretenses (need to stretch budgets right now and the historic lows...please spare us), by using foreign buyers as a crux. Chuck may seem out there but he attends enough comic cons to know what the market is doing and being confused on "historic lows" is nothing but false hyping of hs own inventory...

His hyping, while entertaining at times, has gone over the edge over the last 6 months or so and is bordering on fraudulent claims. I for one won't give him "the benefit of a doubt" until he scales back...

Jim

You shouldn't have publicly posted a private email reply unless you had his permission to do so. Whether you agree with him or not, it's poor form and he obviously had an expectation of privacy in his reply given a few of the things he stated.

^^

^^

yep i agree. Changed my post

Dear Joseph:...

Deleted Text

All the best!

Chuck Rozanski

Or at least post your half of the discussion. Racist? Did he bring up that word, or did you?

All your comics are belong to us!

(sorry couldn't resist)

darn, can't remember the name of the arcade game this is from... :frustrated:

Help me out, will you?

And by the way, All your comics are really belong to us! lol

Do you think he really belives this stuff?

The scary thing, is that he probably think's other people believe his dribble! lol:insane:

The real catch is that he writes from the perspective of a 'friend' giving everyone the inside on some important news.

I suspect he almost looses perspective that this is purely designed to line his pockets, he proabably writes each one, sit's back, and thinks quietly to himself, 'boy I'm a nice guy'. lol lol lol

9 out of 10 political analysts agree that foreigners are amassed just beyond our borders.

Not as much agreement on why they are there, though.

While I would hate to agree with him, he is right. Before you get all testy, realize that the American dollar is very weak unfortunately.

I not only dabble in comics but other things like military relics as well. I was at the largest military show in the US a couple weeks ago and there were tons of europeans buying like crazy (more so than normal). Someone summed it up so perfect in that, why wouldn't you come and buy stuff at half off regular price. A lot of them take stuff back to shops/swaps overseas and double their money. With the Euro at 1.5 dollars, they essentially can make lots of shopping for little money.

I know we have some europeans here and they understand very well this situation. I would hazard to guess that most ordinary Americans don't really understand it. So yes, lots of books are leaving the USA and will probably not return anytime soon. Is this a plea in order for CHUCKY to sell more books. Obviously.

He has been seen around local conventions near here trying to buy up everything he can. Someone told me, its like the scrounger who has to venture farther out from home every time they set out to find food or trees because they have scavenged the areas close to home so much.